A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Purchase of glider from Canada

Old September 1st 19, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
juggle5
external usenet poster

Default Purchase of glider from Canada

Hi,
I am hoping to find someone in the US who has purchased a glider
from Canada and had some time to share what is needed for a smooth transaction.

I guess I need to find out:
- what sort of Bill of Sale for an international sale
- how to check if there are liens on the glider
- it is Canadian registered standard certificate, what needs to be don on US side
- pre purchase inspection outside of US
- US import fees
- US taxes
- etc

Any thoughts experience would be appreciated as I am new to this
Thanks Ken
Old September 1st 19, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Livingston
external usenet poster

Ken,

I have no experience with Canada, but recently bought my first glider (partnered with 2 others). Two things I wish I had paid more attention to:
-Make sure the bill of sale includes mention of the trailer, and how much it is valued at, or get a separate bill of sale for the trailer.
-Trailers in US are often Titled in the state they are registered. It can be a headache to Title (and get license plates for) a trailer that does not have a Title. I don't know what Canada does, but try to get as official a document as possible for the trailer as is available, but at minimum a bill of sale listing the trailer and its cost.

You might also make sure you get a Title or similar Canada document for the glider, if any such thing is available. Proving transfer of ownership is a big deal. In the US aircraft are simply registerd with FAA and generally not Titled, as near as I can tell.

Rich L.

Old September 1st 19, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Ken,
The ship must be de-registered in Canada, which means it’s dropped from Canadian aircraft rolls and its C bumper is removed. Best way to do this is what the FAA calls an “Airworthiness for Export” license. Armed with this, you request US registration including US “N” number. The feds will in due time, license the ship and issue Airworthiness certificate. Get separate bill of sale for trailer. No export fee at this time, but there’s no telling what Mr. Chaos might dream up next!
Enjoy the ride, may take several months,
JJ
Old September 2nd 19, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh
external usenet poster

Before leaving to get glider, arrange insurance effective the day money and documents change hands.

It's generally easier getting a glider and trailer into the US from Canada than the other way around. But don't borrow a plate from your buddies. I've seen customs check VIN against plate – and their disappointment when they matched.

One nasty gotcha is radium dialed instruments. Get rid of them BEFORE crossing into the US. Those big yellow vertical panels at land crossings are radiation detectors. Free disposal in Canada:
https://www.cnl.ca/en/home/environme...-programs.aspx

Expensive in the US.

Check with your local FSDO and glider A&P what they want to see. Export CofA either direction for a used glider is likely a waste of time and money.

Every state has its own requirements for trailers. You might want to consider registering the trailer in Montana,especially if you are passing through..

Personal property tax is different in every state. Check with local glider owners.

Yes, separate bills of sale for glider and trailer. Temporary plates for trailer are usually easy to obtain. The seller should accompany you to the provincial licensing office.

As in the US the CofR must be returned, in Canada's case to the regional Transport Canada office. Take the CofR to the post office and ExpressPost it to TC along with statement that registration letters removed and code removed from transponder - they now charge $200.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/avi...-aircraft.html

A Canadian seller cannot take the glider across the border without customs broker paperwork. He might get hit with a $10,000 fine.
Old September 2nd 19, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Reid
external usenet poster

I guess it's because I had the proper paperwork with me, but when I towed a glider from the lower 48 to Alaska in May, neither Canadian nor US customs asked for any paperwork for the glider or trailer. YMMV

Mike
Old September 2nd 19, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF
external usenet poster

It's been a few years but I remember the process as being fairly easy, after you understand it. The aircraft part is fairly straightforward.

The Trailer is a bit tricky. Get a separate bill of sale for the trailer. Keep the Canadian tag on it, take the Canadian title with you. Drive it home, take the Canadian title (registration) & the bill of sale to your local DMV. Get a US tag & title for the trailer. Mail the Canadian tag back to the Seller in Canada so that they can turn it in. Getting a US tag for the trailer, even if you state does not require one, will help you with re-sale.
Most US banks can get you a "Cashiers" check in Canadian funds for your Canadian seller. It's not may not be called a Cashiers check, the bank will know what you need. as I said it's been a while.

Calling the aircraft registration guys at the FAA was helpful. You need the forms (including the Canadian De-Registration docs) & documentation to register the aircraft, and then another set of forms to get an airworthiness inspection & certificate. Looks like most of that is done online now.

Understand everything required before you go to Canada, including making sure you have insurance on the trailer & the glider in advance of taking it home.

Old September 2nd 19, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh
external usenet poster

Canadian banks look askance at US cashier's checks and will often hold funds for some weeks. A bank to bank transfer can be done.
Old September 2nd 19, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

On Monday, September 2, 2019 at 9:06:48 AM UTC-7, George Haeh wrote:
Canadian banks look askance at US cashier's checks and will often hold funds for some weeks. A bank to bank transfer can be done.

Some of the new online services make it very easy, and low cost too. I use TransferWise to scoot money around between my own USA, New Zealand, and Russian bank accounts frequently. They do the currency exchange at exactly the same up to the minute midrate you see on google (e.g. "30000 cad in usd") and their fee for the actual transfer to someone's bank account is typically half a percent.

I just tried the above example and getting exactly CAD$30000 to someone needs US$22633.91 at a 1.33285 exchange rate and $125.75 fee.

The fee might look smaller if you get a cashier's check at a bank, but would expect that to be more than lost in the worse exchange rate.
Old September 3rd 19, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF
external usenet poster

Canadian funds, drawn from a Canadian bank. Not a cashiers check from a us bank
Old May 4th 20, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, September 1, 2019 at 9:58:48 PM UTC-7, Mike Reid wrote:
I guess it's because I had the proper paperwork with me, but when I towed a glider from the lower 48 to Alaska in May, neither Canadian nor US customs asked for any paperwork for the glider or trailer. YMMV

Mike

Mike, what paperwork was needed to move a US SH glider and Cobra trailer from the US to a new owner in Canada?