The smallest jet aircraft in the world - BD-5J (homebuilt)

Old March 20th 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Richard Isakson

Default The smallest jet aircraft in the world - BD-5J (homebuilt)

"Anthony W" wrote ...

If I were a much shorter (not to mention thiner) man, I would build a
Mitchell U2 with a 4 pack of those tiny turbines. It would take the
record and look like the space shuttle from behind. ;o)

There's already been a turbine powered Mitchell wing.

Rich

Old March 20th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

On Mar 20, 1:50 pm, Anthony W wrote:
Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

The guy with the cri cri could do it by taking the tail off.

There is no requirement that the plane actually fly,.

FF

The guy with the Cri Cri has something wuan lacks, integrity. I'll bet
he won't take the tail off for that reason alone.

If I were a much shorter (not to mention thiner) man, I would build a
Mitchell U2 with a 4 pack of those tiny turbines. It would take the
record and look like the space shuttle from behind. ;o)

That has been done, see the link elsewhere in this thread.
I don't know if it was a Mitchel wing. It was a rigid wing.

It might not count as he it take off from the ground, but then
again, neither has the Juan Dart.

I'm more inclined to criticize the folks at Guiness than I am
Mr Jimenez. But it's more entertaining to poke fun at
the latter.

--

FF
Old March 20th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Anthony W wrote:
Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

The guy with the cri cri coudl do it by taking the tail off.

There is no requirement that the plane actually fly,.

FF

The guy with the Cri Cri has something wuan lacks, integrity. I'll bet
he won't take the tail off for that reason alone.

If I were a much shorter (not to mention thiner) man, I would build a
Mitchell U2 with a 4 pack of those tiny turbines. It would take the
record and look like the space shuttle from behind. ;o)

Tony

You might want to check the price on those tiny turbines first...
Old March 20th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Richard Isakson wrote:
"Anthony W" wrote ...

If I were a much shorter (not to mention thiner) man, I would build a
Mitchell U2 with a 4 pack of those tiny turbines. It would take the
record and look like the space shuttle from behind. ;o)

There's already been a turbine powered Mitchell wing.

Rich

Isn't it smaller than lawn dart's BD5j?

Tony

Old March 20th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

cavelamb himself wrote:
Anthony W wrote:
Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

The guy with the cri cri coudl do it by taking the tail off.

There is no requirement that the plane actually fly,.

FF

The guy with the Cri Cri has something wuan lacks, integrity. I'll
bet he won't take the tail off for that reason alone.

If I were a much shorter (not to mention thiner) man, I would build a
Mitchell U2 with a 4 pack of those tiny turbines. It would take the
record and look like the space shuttle from behind. ;o)

Tony

You might want to check the price on those tiny turbines first...

I have and this isn't about money it's about what I'd do if I had the
money... ;o) Also the Mitchell U2 has always fascinated me.

Tony
Old March 20th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Al G[_1_]

"Richard Isakson" wrote in message
om...
"Anthony W" wrote ...

If I were a much shorter (not to mention thiner) man, I would build a
Mitchell U2 with a 4 pack of those tiny turbines. It would take the
record and look like the space shuttle from behind. ;o)

There's already been a turbine powered Mitchell wing.

Rich

Well, the piston version hasn't done too bad:

Record Task: Altitude (Without Payload)

Start City: Colorado Springs, CO
Finish City:
Performance: 25942 feet (7907 meters)
Class, Subclass, Classification, Group: C, C-1, a/o, I (Piston)
Record Holder(s):
Richard J. Rowley

Date of record: 9/17/1983
Aircraft Make and Model: Mitchell U-2 Superwing
Engine Make and Model: Cuyuna 430D

Al G

Old March 21st 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Anthony W wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Anthony W wrote:

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

The guy with the cri cri coudl do it by taking the tail off.

There is no requirement that the plane actually fly,.

FF

The guy with the Cri Cri has something wuan lacks, integrity. I'll
bet he won't take the tail off for that reason alone.

If I were a much shorter (not to mention thiner) man, I would build a
Mitchell U2 with a 4 pack of those tiny turbines. It would take the
record and look like the space shuttle from behind. ;o)

Tony

You might want to check the price on those tiny turbines first...

I have and this isn't about money it's about what I'd do if I had the
money... ;o) Also the Mitchell U2 has always fascinated me.

Tony

Fair enough.

It cost nothing to dream...

Richard
Old March 21st 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

On Mar 20, 10:05 pm, "Al G" wrote:
"Richard Isakson" wrote in message

om...

"Anthony W" wrote ...

If I were a much shorter (not to mention thiner) man, I would build a
Mitchell U2 with a 4 pack of those tiny turbines. It would take the
record and look like the space shuttle from behind. ;o)

There's already been a turbine powered Mitchell wing.

Rich

Well, the piston version hasn't done too bad:

Record Task: Altitude (Without Payload)

Start City: Colorado Springs, CO
Finish City:
Performance: 25942 feet (7907 meters)
Class, Subclass, Classification, Group: C, C-1, a/o, I (Piston)
Record Holder(s):
Richard J. Rowley

Date of record: 9/17/1983
Aircraft Make and Model: Mitchell U-2 Superwing
Engine Make and Model: Cuyuna 430D

THAT MItchel Wing is much heavier than a Cri cri
and has a longer wingspan, though the fuselage,
such as it is, may be shorter.

IIRC Cri cri is about a hundred pounds under the FAR 103
wieght limit though of course the stall and max speed are
out of the range.

Neither the U2 or B10 are light enough for FAR 103, though
last I heard there is a prototype ultralight version not
currently flying or fully assembled. I don;t recall if it
was completed and flown then disassembled or what.

--

FF

Old March 21st 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
wright1902glider

On Mar 20, 6:32*pm, Fred the Red Shirt
wrote:
On Mar 20, 10:05 pm, "Al *G" wrote:

"Richard Isakson" wrote in message

news:jfWdnXvYkMMcNX_anZ2dnUVZ_quhnZ2d@whidbeytel. com...

"Anthony W" wrote ...

IIRC *Cri cri is about a hundred pounds under the FAR 103
wieght limit though of course the stall and max speed are
out of the range.

Neither the U2 or B10 are light enough for FAR 103, though
last I heard there is a prototype ultralight version not
currently flying or fully assembled. *I don;t recall if it
was completed and flown then disassembled or what.

For that matter, why not just bolt a pair of AMT's to the kingpost of
a Wills Wing. Eight good steps on a decent slope and you're airborne.
Ease the throttle open, ease the bar out, climb out, **** off the
gaggle of paraglider pilots circling overhead, earn a lifetime ban
from the launch site. Oh yeah, somebody will probably call the cops
and the FAA. No problem being part 103 legal, but somebody will still
try to pick a bone with you. BUT, I'm sure it would qualify for some
sort of record.

Harry