question on VOR intersections

Old December 19th 11, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

Default question on VOR intersections

First off, I'm a sim enthusiast. But I try to make my sim
flying as realistic as possible. Besides, getting my ticket
is still on my to-do list... some day.

Lately I've been practicing navigation. It's too easy in
a 747 with an FMS computer, so I'm putting around in a 172
and getting around with VOR's and ADF's. Add some clouds...
at night... weeeeeeee

Anyway, what I'm wondering is, is there a resource somewhere
that lists intersections and gives the VOR's and radials that
make them?

Say I'm navigating between intersections. I can use the GPS to
fly direct to these positions. However, it seems to me that,
since intersections are exactly that, an intersection of
radials from two or more VOR's, using this information makes
a good backup in case the GPS goes south. Redundancy,
redundancy, and more redundancy.

But looking at the sectional charts, it's not always readily
apparent what the exact radials are. Sure, I could break out
the straight edge and get a rough idea. But I would think that
since their positions are officially defined by someone (FAA?)
there would be a precise definition somewhere.

I've googled and looked on the FAA website, but either it
doesn't exist, or I don't know the right search terms.

Anyone know what I'm looking for?

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old December 19th 11, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Poitras

Airnav has the info:

http://www.airnav.com/airspace/fix/

--
Don Poitras
Old December 19th 11, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Edwin Johnson

On 2011-12-19, Skywise wrote:
First off, I'm a sim enthusiast. But I try to make my sim

Anyway, what I'm wondering is, is there a resource somewhere
that lists intersections and gives the VOR's and radials that
make them?

If your program has access to the IFR Enroute Low Altitude charts, all of
the intersections are shown and defined with arrows from the VORs which
define them, DME fixes, etc. as well as Minimum Reception Altitudes (MRA)
and Minimum Crossing Altitudes (MCA). Incidentally, an intersection can be
defined with one radial and a DME fix.

Probably the reason for not showing all of this on VFR charts is clutter and
the fact that VFR pilots will not be needing all of these intersections.

If you are interested in looking at these go to the FAA site:

http://aeronav.faa.gov/index.asp?xml...rtlist_enroute

Click on the bottom on IFR Enroute Aeronautical Charts and that will lead
you to a page where you can download the individual charts. Near the top of
that page is a link to show you a map of the US and location of the charts.
It appears they are in .pdf format, which is strange since most gov charts
are the traditional .tif format with coordinates embedded in the file.
Anyway you can easily look at the .pdf charts.

....Edwin
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been, there you long to
return."-da Vinci http://bellsouthpwp2.net/e/d/edwinljohnson
Old December 19th 11, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

(Edward A. Falk) wrote in
:

As a previous poster pointed out, you can find that information at
airnav.com (an excellent resource, btw), but that's not how real flying
works.

In practice, you don't fly direct from waypoint to waypoint unless you
have a GPS, and even then you think twice before you do it.

That's the problem with not having 'real' lessons or experience,
so I don't know how it's done in real life.

The normal IFR flying procedure, especially in low-altitude aircraft,
is to follow the victor airways.

I generally am, but what I've found is I need to intercept the
airway after takeoff, and there's usually a waypoint nearby,
or in a recent case, the airway changes direction at a waypoint.

or download one from the FAA.
The disadvantage of downloading is that your screen isn't as big as a
paper chart, and you'll need a second screen while you're running the
flight sim program.

Well, since it is only a sim, expiring charts aren't much of an
issue as the sim will not change. And I have twin 1080p's. I
have downloaded sectionals from the FAA and throw them on the
other monitor. It's no big deal to scroll and zoom a bit. I've
got good graphics editing software.

Old December 19th 11, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

(Don Poitras) wrote in :

Airnav has the info:

http://www.airnav.com/airspace/fix/

Thank you!!!

Old December 19th 11, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

Edwin Johnson wrote in
:

If your program has access to the IFR Enroute Low Altitude charts,

It only has rudimentary charts, but all the basic info is accurate.

BTW, I use X-Plane, which just released version 10. Much more accurate
flight model. What's sad is I can pull off a CAT-III approach in a
777 about as easy as I can stay on course in a 172.... sheesh.

I can 'fly', but I know in the real world you can't always 'just fly'
anywhere you want.

If you are interested in looking at these go to the FAA site:

http://aeronav.faa.gov/index.asp?xml...FR/chartlist_e
nroute

I've snagged regular sectionals already. I'll go snag these, too.

since most gov charts are the traditional .tif format with coordinates
embedded in the file. Anyway you can easily look at the .pdf charts.

tif...pdf... doesn't matter to me. the tiffs are probably geotiffs
for use in GIS software.... which I have too. Another interest of mine
is maps and related stuff. Was doing "Google Earth" type stuff before
Google Earth existed.

Old December 19th 11, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering[_2_]

If you are interested in looking at these go to the FAA site:

http://aeronav.faa.gov/index.asp?xml...FR/chartlist_e
nroute

www.skyvector.com has the sectionals, WACs, instrument charts and a
neat little mouseover for all airports that report weather with the
latest METAR and TAF.

Jim

Old December 19th 11, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Poitras

In article ,
On 2011-12-19, Skywise wrote:
First off, I'm a sim enthusiast. But I try to make my sim

Anyway, what I'm wondering is, is there a resource somewhere
that lists intersections and gives the VOR's and radials that
make them?

As a previous poster pointed out, you can find that information at airnav.com
(an excellent resource, btw), but that's not how real flying works.

In practice, you don't fly direct from waypoint to waypoint unless you
have a GPS, and even then you think twice before you do it.

Perhaps in some parts of the US. Here in the southeast, you can file
all the airways you want and the first controller that notices you
are slant-golf is going to say, "you are cleared direct XYZ."

The normal IFR flying procedure, especially in low-altitude aircraft,
is to follow the victor airways. These have been surveyed by the FAA to
confirm that as long as you stick to the MEA, you'll clear the terrain and
remain in radio reception range for both communciations and navigation.
If you make up your own routes by flying direct, then you're responsible
for making sure that you'll be in range and clear of terrain at all times.
Technically, this means looking up every radio facility you'll be using,
finding out what their effective range is, and so forth and so on.

I guess it depends how low you want to go. If I'm going from Raleigh to DC
at 7000 feet, there just isn't any terrain to worry about. As you get close
to the larger airports, you will get clearances to Victor airways and VORs
but south of DC, it's pretty open. The only radio issues are at low
altitudes or perhaps running off the coast.

--
Don Poitras
Old December 20th 11, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

RST Engineering wrote in
news
www.skyvector.com has the sectionals, WACs, instrument charts and a
neat little mouseover for all airports that report weather with the
latest METAR and TAF.

Now that could be useful. X-Plane can already download real time
weather from the net and configure the sim accordingly.

Old December 20th 11, 07:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

(Edward A. Falk) wrote in news:jcp584$re3$1@blue-
new.rahul.net:

Thank you much for the explanation. Turns out I've intuited
pretty much most of this procedure. It just makes sense.

For flight simulator programs, there won't be an ATC to give you a
flight plan, so you just wing it.

Actually, the flight sims do have ATC. X-Plane allows me to
file flight plans using anything but SIDs and STARs.

They're not perfect, though. Recently, for instance, (I fly
around LA), I took off from KFUL on rwy 6 and was told to turn
to 350. This fit my flight plan as my intent was to intercept
V16 to my north, then head 256 to my first waypoint at the LAX
vortac. But then ATC told me to turn to course 070. huh?????
Well, I did, figuring it had some reason. After a couple minutes
I was then given "own navigation" so I proceeded to turn back
around to go the right way and get back on V16. At that point
the ATC kept barking at me for being "off course." I finally
had to cancel IFR to get it to shut up!!! hahaha

Well, version 10 just came out, so it's got a few bugs yet. If
I find repeatable errors I file bug reports.

BTW, X-Plane is less 'game' and more simulator. It's written
by pilots and aeronautical engineers. The program can be used
to make FAA certified simulators.

BTW, thank you everyone for the help. Someday I hope to join
you all in the air. Been a dream for twenty+ years now and I
haven't given up. Just haven't got all the ducks lined up yet.