Best Single Pilot IFR Plane

Old December 5th 03, 03:14 AM
Paul Mennen

Sorry Craig but it is you who is lacking in schooling (the reading
part that is). Jeff's question was "how much do you pay in taxes on
your tiedown spot?" Nothing in your original post or reply gave
any hint on that.

BTW Jeff, the answer is about $52.00/year. (I'm also based at PAO).
And yes it is different than the property taxes on land that you own.
It's called a "possessory interest" tax. The sad thing is that it
barely makes any money for the county. The amount collected is mostly
used up by the costs involved with collecting the money and answering
all the questions from the incredulous pilots who don't understand
why they should have to pay such a ridiculous tax.

Back to the original question however (best single pilot IFR plane),
it is a Cessna 185 (of course - because that's what I fly!)

I've got a turbonormalized IO550 in it, so I can fly over almost
all the weather. It is light enough and has enough excess HP that
it can haul its empty weight, and is tolerant of a little ice build-up
here an there as one quickly climbs thru the icing layers to the
wonderful wx on top. (25K is as high as I've gone so far, but I
see no problem with going higher). It's fast enough that I can take
my family of 4 across the country without any complaints yet
miserly enough on the fuel that it doesn't break the bank. Unlike
some other airplanes I've flown it is stable enough that when
you look down at your chart and tune a radio, the airplane is still
flying in the same direction when you look up, even if the auto
pilot is off. And best of all its got the third wheel at the back
where it belongs. I'll probably get arguments on that one, but I
like the flexibility to land just about anywhere I find a flat spot.
I don't have to worry about those flimsy nosewheel thingies that
can get ripped off just by dropping into a minor gopher hole.
Pretty much if you find a spot that any fixed wing airplane has
landed, I'm going to be able to make it in and out of there safely.

As you can see, I'm supporting the earlier poster who said that
the answer depends on your mission.

~Paul Mennen

"Craig Prouse" wrote
"Jeff" wrote:

I was not able to see the math you did on the 400k , you pay taxes on

your
tiedown spot, but you didnt say how much yearly.

Schools fail to emphasize that without the facility to solve "story
problems," there is not really any point in teaching arithmetic.

You don't need to know the size of my tax bill to figure the value of the
land. You just need to figure out how many of my tiedown spots would fit

in
2.5 acres, then multiply by the value of the tiedown spot. I hinted at

that
when I specified the number of sets of tiedowns.

Your tie down spot for your airplane is different then someone who is
purchasing a home or land.

That's not to say that the other two "R"s have not suffered as well.

Old December 5th 03, 04:22 AM
Craig Prouse

"Paul Mennen" wrote:

Sorry Craig but it is you who is lacking in schooling (the reading
part that is). Jeff's question was "how much do you pay in taxes on
your tiedown spot?" Nothing in your original post or reply gave
any hint on that.

My schooling is just fine, thank you. Read the thread again and quote with
integrity. Jeff never asked anything, much less "how much do you pay in
taxes on your tiedown spot?" Jeff stated, omitting several sics, "I was not
able to see the math you did on the 400k , you pay taxes on your tiedown
spot, but you didnt say how much yearly."

My original post, which you must not have read, said in essence that 2.5
acres of PAO real estate must be worth over $400,000 based on my 1200 sq ft
being worth $4413. Pretty simple, right? Jeff responded that he could not
understand how I came to that figure, particularly without knowing what I
paid in property tax. The amount you and I pay in possessory interest taxes
is no big secret, but it was never relevant to the discussion, which is why
I never stated it.

Old December 5th 03, 06:15 AM
Jeff

25,000 ft?
what size engine does that thing have in it?
Is your turbo an after market?

Old December 5th 03, 06:29 AM
Mark Mallory

Jeff wrote:

I was not able to see the math you did on the 400k, you pay taxes on your
tiedown spot, but you didnt say how much yearly.

The taxes aren't relevant to the $400k calculation. Since you appear to be
somewhat math-challenged, here's some help:

One acre contains 43,560 square feet. This means that 2.5 acres will contain
108,900 square feet. He stated that his tiedown space is 1200 square feet; this
means that there are (108,900/1200) = 90.75 tiedown spaces in 2.5 acres.

He stated that his tiedown space is VALUED at $4413; therefore, 2.5 acres (90.75
tiedown spaces) would be VALUED at ($4413 x 90.75) = $400,479.75.

Simple, no?

Old December 5th 03, 06:49 AM
Paul Mennen

"Craig Prouse" wrote

Jeff never asked anything, much less "how much do you pay in
taxes on your tiedown spot?" Jeff stated, omitting several sics, "I was

not
able to see the math you did on the 400k , you pay taxes on your tiedown
spot, but you didnt say how much yearly."

I quoted precisely. You have a contradiction in even the short paragraph
above. What words in "you didn't say how much yearly" don't you understand?
Doesn't that mean he wishes to know how much you pay yearly?

In any case, this has little to do with the subject of the thread,
so perhaps we should drop it.

~Paul

Old December 5th 03, 08:19 AM
Craig Prouse

"Paul Mennen" wrote:

What words in "you didn't say how much yearly" don't you understand?
Doesn't that mean he wishes to know how much you pay yearly?

As a matter of fact, I don't think that's what it means at all.
The full sentence was, again:

"I was not able to see the math you did on the 400k , you pay taxes
on your tiedown spot, but you didnt say how much yearly."

This is a bit fractured, so before my brain can process it, I have to
translate it as follows:

"I was not able to see the math you did (to arrive at $400K because
although) you pay taxes on your tiedown spot, ... you didn't say how
much yearly."

This is to what I was responding. My response is that the amount I pay in
taxes is irrelevant to how I arrived at $400K.

I suppose that there is another possible interpretation to which you
subscribe:

"I was not able to see the math you did (to arrive at $400K)."
"Say, by the way, you pay taxes on your tiedown spot, but you
didn't say how much yearly. Would you mind sharing that info?"

It's unfortunate that we're left to guess and debate the actual meaning.
That's what punctuation is for.

In any case, this has little to do with the subject of the thread,
so perhaps we should drop it.

I suppose I'll have to swallow my pride and allow that my schooling in the
art of reading is inadequate to allow me to divine what the heck Jeff is
talking about. Perhaps this indicates a lack of creativity on my part.

Old December 5th 03, 02:35 PM
Bonza

What sort of planes are you flying?

A Beech A36 Bonanza suits my missions nicely. I am in the midwest,
fly on business and personal trips ranging from 100 to 1000 NM. I
have a good avionics suite, stormscope, and avoid ice. I do not mind
a thin strip of rime decending or climbing through a thin cloud deck,
but that is about where I draw the line. Always have a way out.

Costs are reasonable as long as you do your research and are willing
to get your hands dirty. My name is on the registration, no one
else's so I (and mom nature) can call the shots.

Bob
Old January 3rd 04, 01:02 PM
Paul Sengupta

Where in Wales are you?

Paul (Rhondda, at least at the moment and about every other weekend)

"Pete Cameron" wrote in message
Incidentally, here in Wales the fields
are almost VERTICAL, negating even the benefit of a private runway.