Another Ancient Military Plane Grounded

Old December 19th 07, 08:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
M[_1_]

Default Another Ancient Military Plane Grounded

On Dec 18, 1:14 pm, WolfRat wrote:

A far as "bang for the buck" the B-52 is the best airplane
the Air Force ever purchased

A friend of mine who's an aerospace engineer (used to work for
McDonald Douglas) told me that the older design often has stronger
structure than newer ones. He said in the old days the engineers had
very few tools and models for stress analysis of complex structure,
and they often overdesigned and resulted in planes that're much
stronger than the certification calls for. These days with advanced
computer model, if the certification calls for say max 3.8G and the
design goal is 15% above the certification limit, the engineers can
come up with a structure that'll break very close 4.4G, nothing more
and nothing less. The benefit of this is lighter weight and better
fuel efficiency, but it also means
the structure is not as overbuilt as older planes.
Old December 19th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
T. McQuinn

Aviation Week had a recent article on this. They said the P8-A Poseidon
is being developed as a replacement. I guess it's a 737 derivative and
the 1st test aircraft will go to the Navy in 2009. Maybe I don't
understand the meaning of 'patrol' but how long can a 737 stay up?

Tom

Jay Honeck wrote:
More metal fatigue. Our military might as well be a chapter of the
Antique Aircraft Association in Blakesburg, Iowa...
************************************************** ************************************************** *****
Washington, USA - "Structural fatigue"
(WAPA) - The US Navy decided to ground 39 of its 161 P-3C Orion
reconnaissance planes, because according to data resulting from
examinations they show signs of "Structural fatigue on the lower
section of the wing". The aircraft will now undergo maintenance
interventions, which are expected to take from 18 to 24 months.

The P-3C Orion is a maritime patrol aircraft, produced in its first
model in the late 1950s by the Lockheed Martin Corporation, which
played an important role in the Cold War and are presently employed
among other in reconnaissance operations in the Iraq conflict. These
four-engine turboprops are expected to be gradually replaced by
Boeing's P-8A Poseidons, but the Navy counts to continue using the
P-3s until 2019. Therefore careful and periodical maintenance
activities will be needed.

Another model of aircraft of the US armed forces to have recently
showed signs of fatigue has been the F-15 jet fighter (see AVIONEWS).
(Avionews)
************************************************** ************************************************** *****
How long can our guys be expected to hold the line with these ancient
airplanes?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 19th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

"T. McQuinn" wrote:

Aviation Week had a recent article on this. They said the P8-A Poseidon
is being developed as a replacement. I guess it's a 737 derivative and
the 1st test aircraft will go to the Navy in 2009. Maybe I don't
understand the meaning of 'patrol' but how long can a 737 stay up?

Add extra fuel tanks and a long time. You don't need to carry luggage
and 130 seats for passengers.

Ron Lee
Old December 19th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

Bob Moore wrote:

Our problems were all corrosion related. Flying at 100' in the salt
spray most of the time did nasty things to aluminum airframes. At the
major bases, we had huge "car washes" that we drove through after each
low level mission.

And that was probably not 100% effective.

Ron Lee
Old December 19th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

************************************************** *************************-******************************
[...]

Jay,

What? You are complaining about the military being frugal with your
tax dollars? I suspect that the P-3 has had one of the best returns
on initial investment of the various airplane programs out there...

Dean
Old December 19th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
pittss1c

ahhh the day that a P3 shows up at Blakesburg....
They frown on bonanzas... I can't imagine what the impression of a
turboprop would be.
At least the engine is round....

Mike

Old December 19th 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

What? You are complaining about the military being frugal with your
tax dollars? I suspect that the P-3 has had one of the best returns
on initial investment of the various airplane programs out there...

Agreed, it's been a good aircraft. But the time has come -- and gone
-- to replace it.

Military spending is one of the very few legitimate purposes for
having a Federal government. I have no quarrel with spending tax
money to keep our Air Force modern.

As it is, the Air Force has been reduced to such a tiny size that
there are legitimate arguments being made to roll it back into the
Army. With so few planes and bases, there is little rationale for
having an independent Air Force, with all the dead-weight bureacracy
that comes with it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old December 19th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

ahhh the day that a P3 shows up at Blakesburg....
They frown on bonanzas... I can't imagine what the impression of a
turboprop would be.

Hey, who would have ever thought that we'd see a B-25 Mitchell bomber
at Blakesburg?

Strange things happen, over time...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old December 19th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

What? You are complaining about the military being frugal with your
tax dollars? I suspect that the P-3 has had one of the best returns
on initial investment of the various airplane programs out there...

Agreed, it's been a good aircraft. But the time has come -- and gone
-- to replace it.

Military spending is one of the very few legitimate purposes for
having a Federal government. I have no quarrel with spending tax
money to keep our Air Force modern.

As it is, the Air Force has been reduced to such a tiny size that
there are legitimate arguments being made to roll it back into the
Army. With so few planes and bases, there is little rationale for
having an independent Air Force, with all the dead-weight bureacracy
that comes with it.

Agreed, but the Air Force operates no P-3s.