Headset Misfortunes

Old February 2nd 08, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
T. McQuinn

Default Headset Misfortunes

I use Lightspeed Thirty 3Gs. If the battery dies they seem to only lose
the noise canceling function. Were they to break completely I would
have the cabin speaker and handheld microphone. So for me, batteries -
yes, another headset - not necessarily. (I try very hard to make sure
that every portable device I carry uses AA batteries and I do keep a
supply of them handy.)

Tom

WJRFlyBoy wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 22:33:23 -0500, Kyle Boatright wrote:

So, I'm stuck using the 'ol reliable $89 David Clark knock-off's I got when
I earned my license. They are not nearly as bad as I remembered, and it is
nice not having to deal with a battery box and AA batteries that die at
inconvenient times...

Newbie question, is not carrying backup headsets and batteries a given?

Old February 2nd 08, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

#1 - I keep two batteries in my kneeboard's zipper pocket.

#2 - My headset gives at least 10 hours of warning for battery
replacement. The first time I get the warning at startup, I go to #1.

#3 - Good ANR sets have auto shutoffs, so you don't arrive to the
cockpit with dead batteries.

#4 - I have three AA flashlights in my flight bag.

#5 - Most FBO's sell AA batteries. If not, a mini-mart next to the
airport does.

Seeing a pattern? G
Old February 2nd 08, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Which Lightspeed model do you have, Kyle?

I have a 25XL, which I just converted back to the original battery box

There's your problem, Kyle. Anything before the current "3G" models were
built of flimsy(er) materials and seemed to break at the drop of a hat.

I should know -- I've owned a pair of each model of Lightspeeds, from the
early 15s on up. ALL of them were sent back for repairs, some multiple
times, until the 3G models.

I now have four pair of Twenty 3Gs, and they have been absolutely
bulletproof over the past two years. I highly recommend them, and am really
looking forward to checking out their new Zulu model...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 2nd 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

John,

No. Just buy yourself one David Clark passive headset and you will
probably never have to worry about them breaking and sending them back
to be repaired, or replacing batteries.

You WILL have to worry about your hearing and your constant headache,
though. We're discussing non-problems here. Modern ANR headsets are to
"classic" DC style headsets what a feather pillow is to a nailbed. It
really IS that simple.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 3rd 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
T. McQuinn

John Smith wrote:
snip

Out of couriosity, how many of you Lightspeed owners replace your
earseals as frequently as Lightspeed recommends?

Now you're going to make me look up their recommendation...........

Anybody ever hook up an MP3 player to their Thirty 3-Gs to mow the
grass? (I'm only accepting moderate amounts of mockery and derision on
this. You can't really see my yard from the street......) I thought
the ANR worked fantastically but they are just too expensive to wear out
on a task like that!
Old February 3rd 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"WJRFlyBoy" wrote in message
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 22:33:23 -0500, Kyle Boatright wrote:

So, I'm stuck using the 'ol reliable $89 David Clark knock-off's I got
when
I earned my license. They are not nearly as bad as I remembered, and it
is
nice not having to deal with a battery box and AA batteries that die at
inconvenient times...

Newbie question, is not carrying backup headsets and batteries a given?
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!

Nope. ANR headsets still work with dead batteries. The ANR function is the
only thing you lose. With backup stuff, what do you really consider
necessary? I don't carry a spare GPS, a spare map, or a spare set of
headsets. Nor do I carry a handheld radio. My belief is that is any one of
the primary devices dies, I'll be able to safely complete my flight without
it.

KB

Old February 3rd 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 2, 7:14*pm, John Smith wrote:
Out of couriosity, how many of you Lightspeed owners replace your
earseals as frequently as Lightspeed recommends?

I don't recall seeing any earseal replacement recommendation from
Lighspeed. One of our LS Twenty 3G earseal kept falling off last
summer after about 3 years of heavy use. We called LS customer and
they shipped us a replacement pair completely free of charge. It was
a very easy replacement.

Hai Longworth
Old February 3rd 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

John Smith wrote:

Thomas you are being much to harsh in your criticism of passive headsets.
When the batteries go out and its dark in the cockpit, you no longer
have an active headset as you fumble around to find the replace
batteries and install them and its passive attenuation is worse than any
DC.

Out of couriosity, how many of you Lightspeed owners replace your
earseals as frequently as Lightspeed recommends?

Jeez folks. With rechargeable batteries you can install fresh ones
before every flight. Dark in the cockpit? No overhead lights? No
flashlight? No easy to access batteries when you know you are flying
at night (I don't).

Ron Lee

Old February 3rd 08, 07:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WJRFlyBoy

#1 - I keep two batteries in my kneeboard's zipper pocket.

#2 - My headset gives at least 10 hours of warning for battery
replacement. The first time I get the warning at startup, I go to #1.

#3 - Good ANR sets have auto shutoffs, so you don't arrive to the
cockpit with dead batteries.

#4 - I have three AA flashlights in my flight bag.

#5 - Most FBO's sell AA batteries. If not, a mini-mart next to the
airport does.

Seeing a pattern? G

Sure do.

You own a battery factory lol
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
Old February 3rd 08, 07:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WJRFlyBoy

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 20:00:46 -0500, Kyle Boatright wrote:

"WJRFlyBoy" wrote in message
[...]

Is this subject to a certain level of experience/expertise or would you
expect that of nearly anyone who is private licensed?
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!

A different headset john smith Piloting 10 December 15th 06 11:55 PM
ANR headset - which one?? Ol Shy & Bashful Rotorcraft 2 December 21st 05 01:05 AM
ANR headset - which one?? B4RT Rotorcraft 0 November 16th 05 03:44 AM
Headset Ingo Wolf Piloting 12 September 2nd 04 05:38 AM
Best headset? Hankal Piloting 12 July 22nd 04 05:47 AM