Headset Misfortunes

Old February 4th 08, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default OT: was Headset Misfortunes, now: hearing aid recomendations

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote

They all seem to work OK. I just hate the ones that hurt when you have
them
on for any length. I use a Sennheiser at work at it's as good as anything
else I've used.

Sennheiser makes hearing aids?

Oh, also, does anyone have hearing aids that will not squeal with headsets
on, or do you just turn up the volume on the headset, and take the hearing
aids out or turn them off?
--
Jim in NC

Old February 4th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Morgans" wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote

They all seem to work OK. I just hate the ones that hurt when you
have them
on for any length. I use a Sennheiser at work at it's as good as
anything else I've used.

Sennheiser makes hearing aids?

Oh, also, does anyone have hearing aids that will not squeal with
headsets on, or do you just turn up the volume on the headset, and
take the hearing aids out or turn them off?

No idea. I did ask the ME if they were legal for class ones and he assured
me they were. I don't need one yet, bu tthere may come a time.

Bertie
Old February 4th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
T. McQuinn

Morgans wrote:
"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote

They all seem to work OK. I just hate the ones that hurt when you have
them
on for any length. I use a Sennheiser at work at it's as good as anything
else I've used.

Sennheiser makes hearing aids?

Oh, also, does anyone have hearing aids that will not squeal with headsets
on, or do you just turn up the volume on the headset, and take the hearing
aids out or turn them off?

My youngest is hearing impaired and wears behind the ear hearing aids.
We originally intended to have him turn off the aids, crank up the
intercom, and then turn down the volume on the other headsets. It
turned out that he did not require more volume than the rest of us and
does nothing more that turn off the aids. And his impairment is fairly
serious. With luck the same may work for you!

Tom
Old February 4th 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"T. McQuinn" wrote

My youngest is hearing impaired and wears behind the ear hearing aids.
We originally intended to have him turn off the aids, crank up the
intercom, and then turn down the volume on the other headsets. It turned
out that he did not require more volume than the rest of us and does
nothing more that turn off the aids. And his impairment is fairly
serious. With luck the same may work for you!

Hopefully.

I had someone tell me that the behind the ear type work much better than the
in the ear type. I have to admit that I have a hard time understanding that
being possible. Also, I am concerned that they will fit nicely inside all
the different brands of ear cups.

All that aside, I really do want the best performance for everyday life.
I'm very tired of always asking, "what?" and everyone around me is tired of
repeating everything. I have found that I have become a lip reader, in
part, and have even more problems when the speaker is not facing me.

Does anyone care to offer any of their observations on what works for them,
and particularly help solve the "in the ear-behind the ear" debate?

Partially, this has all been driven home by the fact that I became a
grandfather this weekend. I swear, I'm too young to be a grandfather, but I
guess my daughter didn't feel that I was! I guess at 27, it was time for
her to start her family, and with a great guy, too. I am blessed.

It was a real life changing experience. Both my kids are my adopted step
children, and although they were very young when their biological father
died and I adopted them, I had never gotten to experience the whole
childbirth thing. My daughter was gracious enough to grant my request to be
involved in the delivery, and all I can say is WoW! How can anyone not be
substantially affected by such an experience!

I still am walking on cloud nine, and everyone is doing great!
--
Jim in NC

Old February 4th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Default Headset Misfortunes

What are they mad about?

Jim

I believe they are mad in china

Old February 4th 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Being Chinese?

What are they mad about?

I believe they are mad in china

Old February 4th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GeorgeB

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 14:05:47 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

I had someone tell me that the behind the ear type work much better than the
in the ear type. I have to admit that I have a hard time understanding that
being possible. Also, I am concerned that they will fit nicely inside all
the different brands of ear cups.

All that aside, I really do want the best performance for everyday life.
I'm very tired of always asking, "what?" and everyone around me is tired of
repeating everything. I have found that I have become a lip reader, in
part, and have even more problems when the speaker is not facing me.

Does anyone care to offer any of their observations on what works for them,
and particularly help solve the "in the ear-behind the ear" debate?

Technology has improved in most things, and hearing aids are not left
out.

I am not a pilot, but used to fly with a good friend a LOT. I have my
own headset, Lightspeed 20G. I wear BTE aids. To answer your
questions separately ... BTE and headsets don't get along very well;
the padding sits on the microphones. I tried his Bose and they were
equally a problem. BUT, the audio band in an aircraft transceiver
seemed to be tailored to my loss; I took the aids out and turned the
level up a little on the 20G's. No problem. YMMV

BTE vs ITE vs IC vs CIC ... you'll see all those terms as you shop.
For serious loss, the BTE is significantly better; it can handle more
amplification without feedback. Electric cells are larger and offer
greater energy storage ... longer life (I wear mine probalby 8 hours a
day and change them every 2-3 weeks). The BTE also have more bells
and whistles available ... 2 or 3 microphones. I was told they are
more robust, but don't know that to be true.

The newest things are how the sound gets to the ear with a BTE. As I
understand it, the transducer (loudspeaker) in many is in the ear with
some. I'm told this solves many problems. (Ear wax clogs things)

Many people I've spoken with have had premium aids, some have tried
the cheap ones ... most with premium are happy, most with cheap are
not. I was in Costco and got in a conversation with the very sharp
audiologist; they have what seem like very good prices on upper end
products.

Note that insurance does not pay for them in most cases. If you have
some sort of pre-tax medical withholding, that can. I bumped mine up
for the year I bought them, so saved perhaps a third, fed and state
taxes combined.

I still am walking on cloud nine, and everyone is doing great!

Glad for you, her, and your grandchild!
Old February 5th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I still am walking on cloud nine, and everyone is doing great!

Congrats, Jim!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old February 5th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

Jim, if you're a member, check out Costco's hearing aid department. I
have several friends and one husband who did a lot of shopping, and
found significant savings there, with both in the ear and behind the
ear styles. In the ear seems better if you wear glasses, but either
will help a lot. Digital seem to be worth the price. The price is
high, about $3100 the pair at Costco, twice that elsewhere.

On Feb 3, 8:00 pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"Bertie the Bunyip" wrot

WHAT?

Exzactery!

I have abused my hearing, over a lifetime, mainly by playing in loud music
groups, and exposure to power tools.

Do I regret not taking precautions? You bet. Can I do anything about it
now? Not a thing.

My wife has put down the verdict that I HAVE to get hearing aids, and the
sooner the better.

Anyone got any preferences? Digital or not? Brand names? Behind the ear
or in the ear?

I have (I believe, but not tested) overall hearing loss, with more in the
higher frequency ranges. A TON of tinnitus (ringing in the ears) that
probably is the majority of my problem. I need to drown out the ringing,
with amplified voices, I believe.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 5th 08, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Tina" wrote

Jim, if you're a member, check out Costco's hearing aid department. I
have several friends and one husband who did a lot of shopping, and
found significant savings there, with both in the ear and behind the
ear styles. In the ear seems better if you wear glasses, but either
will help a lot. Digital seem to be worth the price. The price is
high, about $3100 the pair at Costco, twice that elsewhere.

Unfortunately, no Costco in the area.
--
Jim in NC

A different headset john smith Piloting 10 December 15th 06 11:55 PM
ANR headset - which one?? Ol Shy & Bashful Rotorcraft 2 December 21st 05 01:05 AM
ANR headset - which one?? B4RT Rotorcraft 0 November 16th 05 03:44 AM
Headset Ingo Wolf Piloting 12 September 2nd 04 05:38 AM
Best headset? Hankal Piloting 12 July 22nd 04 05:47 AM