Color Me Annoyed

Old February 13th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
T. McQuinn

Default Color Me Annoyed

Jay Honeck wrote:
Leak-free inner tubes??????? They make such a thing?

Well, okay -- not leak "free". "Leak slower" might be a better name.
Cutting edge 1929 technology!

All I know is this: Anything that means we have to fill the tires even
half as often will go a long ways toward enhancing my marriage.

;-)

I wasn't trying to be pedantic. I've actually never heard of such a
thing. Is there a better than average inner tube that a guy can buy? I
have to push my plane up an incline to get it into the hangar. It's
steep enough that I can do it, but just barely - slightly low tire
pressure = maximum effort pushing.

Tom
Old February 13th 08, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Feb 13, 7:17 am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
Jay, are you sure that leak down tester is working? I can't imagine how
any cylinder, let alone all six, can be that high.

I've had my doubts about his equipment for years -- the compressions on my
engine are always 78 or highter -- but I did the procedure myself this time,
with his guidance. The gauges work as advertised, and I don't know how they
could be anything but right. I mean, it's a pretty simple device and test.

I guess it pays to fly every few days? Dunno -- but I'm not looking a gift
horse in the mouth. (And I can heartily recommend Millennium cylinders!)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Those testers have a .040" diameter by .250" orifice inside
them, between the gauges. If the tester goes haywire it's usually dirt
or other crud in the orifice, and the readings would be very low if
that happened. To get high readings you'd need that hole drilled out,
not very likely.

Dan
Old February 13th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Perhaps not leak-free, but a hell of a lot better than what we've come to
know and love as swiss-cheese inner tubes.

Desser Tire and Rubber has them for about half the price of a recapped tire.
I've been using recaps for about forty years now on everything I've owned
and/or worked on without a bother. Half the price of "new" and they'll take
your old tires in on trade.

I figure if the airlines use recaps on a regular basis they should be good
for an asel.

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

"T. McQuinn" wrote in message
Jay Honeck wrote:

Gonna need two new tires (definitely ordering the "leak-free" inner
tubes).

Leak-free inner tubes??????? They make such a thing?

Tom (79 Archer with the gawdawful wheel pants)

Old February 13th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
nrp

Jay, are you sure that leak down tester is working? I can't imagine how any
cylinder, let alone all six, can be that high.

I agree. I never saw one over about 76 in 30 years of measurements on
a new O-320E2D.
Old February 13th 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Feb 13, 12:25 pm, nrp wrote:
Jay, are you sure that leak down tester is working? I can't imagine how any
cylinder, let alone all six, can be that high.

I agree. I never saw one over about 76 in 30 years of measurements on
a new O-320E2D.

We've seen 79 here a few times. Typically mid-70s on airplanes that
are flown every day. O-320E2Ds.

Dan

Old February 13th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Leak-free inner tubes??????? They make such a thing?

Well, okay -- not leak "free". "Leak slower" might be a better name.
Cutting edge 1929 technology!

All I know is this: Anything that means we have to fill the tires even
half as often will go a long ways toward enhancing my marriage.

Have you adopted the use of nitrogen for filling your tires?
--
Jim in NC

Old February 14th 08, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Rip

T. McQuinn wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:

Gonna need two new tires (definitely ordering the "leak-free" inner
tubes).

Leak-free inner tubes??????? They make such a thing?

Tom (79 Archer with the gawdawful wheel pants)

One version is made by Michelin, under the trade name "AirStop".
They're the only tubes I stock in my shop, and I use them on my Navion.
With the old tubes, tire pressures needed checking every week. With the
AirStops, maybe 3 times a year. Worth the high price, IMHO.

Rip
Old February 14th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

Well, well, Murphy just keeps truckin along...

I called the supplier about the RMA.. "Why it is right in the box with
the wrist pins.", the cheerful lady chirped... Now that box is all of
4 inches square and supposedly packed full of heavy wall wrist pins
and bronze buttons... It sure doesn't look like there is room for a
wad of RMA's...
"Ouhh, oh OK.", I mumbled...
"Hey, open the box of wrist pins and get the RMA's out, wouldja.", I
call over top of a couple of planes to The Kid... The reply is a grunt
as he unfolds from down by the landing gear, and the shuffle of feet
as he heads for the pile of new parts - hydraulic lines, starter,
cylinders, Lord mounts, etc... I hear ripping sounds and he uses his
'pocket' knife - think Rambo II - to saw the box open...
A couple of grunts, and then, "Yup, the RMA is here, but you are not
going to be happy." I hear the thud as he tosses solid metal parts
onto the ancient wood work bench...
Instant comprehension on my part... "No way, Jose!", I growl.
"Yup.", is the flat reply...
"Ahh jeez... You talked to her personally!" I refused to take any more
blame for this mess and made him place the order for the new cylinders
and pins...
"Yup."
"You told her exactly which wrist pins and which buttons we need."
"Yup."
"And the ones they sent are wrong?"
"Yup."
"OK, you make the phone call." I slid my phone across the bench...
"Because if I do, I will start cursing and then you will throw
something at me." The Kid is a very moral fella...
"I spect so.", he agrees...
He dials the phone... I stomp outside to throw some snowballs...
Now my arm hurts...
Old February 14th 08, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Feb 13, 5:32*pm, Denny wrote:
[...]

Ya gotta love the "FAA Certified network of parts suppliers."

And how do ya spell relief ??? .

EXPERIMENTAL.!!!!!!!

Lil Ben,,, giggling in the corner...
Old February 15th 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

RST Engineering wrote:
Perhaps not leak-free, but a hell of a lot better than what we've come to
know and love as swiss-cheese inner tubes.

Desser Tire and Rubber has them for about half the price of a recapped tire.
I've been using recaps for about forty years now on everything I've owned
and/or worked on without a bother. Half the price of "new" and they'll take
your old tires in on trade.

I figure if the airlines use recaps on a regular basis they should be good
for an asel.

Jim

There are two on the market: Michelin makes an "airstop" tube, I think
the other is made by Dresser and is called a "leak-guard" tube. They
cost a little more than the swiss cheese tubes, but if you have piper
wheel pants, it is very worth the extra couple of bucks.

Color Jets Maple1 Aviation Photos 0 October 28th 07 08:02 PM
Color Jets Maple1 Aviation Photos 0 October 28th 07 08:01 PM
Color Jets Maple1 Aviation Photos 0 October 28th 07 08:01 PM
Color Jets Maple1 Aviation Photos 0 October 28th 07 08:00 PM
More with color [email protected] Soaring 3 February 7th 07 09:18 PM