Another Ancient Military Plane Grounded

Old December 18th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Another Ancient Military Plane Grounded

More metal fatigue. Our military might as well be a chapter of the
Antique Aircraft Association in Blakesburg, Iowa...
************************************************** ************************************************** *****
Washington, USA - "Structural fatigue"
(WAPA) - The US Navy decided to ground 39 of its 161 P-3C Orion
reconnaissance planes, because according to data resulting from
examinations they show signs of "Structural fatigue on the lower
section of the wing". The aircraft will now undergo maintenance
interventions, which are expected to take from 18 to 24 months.

The P-3C Orion is a maritime patrol aircraft, produced in its first
model in the late 1950s by the Lockheed Martin Corporation, which
played an important role in the Cold War and are presently employed
among other in reconnaissance operations in the Iraq conflict. These
four-engine turboprops are expected to be gradually replaced by
Boeing's P-8A Poseidons, but the Navy counts to continue using the
P-3s until 2019. Therefore careful and periodical maintenance
activities will be needed.

Another model of aircraft of the US armed forces to have recently
showed signs of fatigue has been the F-15 jet fighter (see AVIONEWS).
(Avionews)
************************************************** ************************************************** *****
How long can our guys be expected to hold the line with these ancient
airplanes?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old December 18th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

************************************************* ************************************************** ******
How long can our guys be expected to hold the line with these ancient
airplanes?

Well, when each generation seems to cost 10 times as much as the previous
generation, I question how long until the Air Force consists of one
multi-role fighter bomber, one attack aircraft, one tanker, an AWACS, and
85 B-52s.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
Violence is the last resort of the incompetent.
Old December 18th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WolfRat

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, Jay Honeck said:
Another model of aircraft of the US armed forces to have recently
showed signs of fatigue has been the F-15 jet fighter (see AVIONEWS).
(Avionews)
************************************************** ************************************************** *****
How long can our guys be expected to hold the line with these ancient
airplanes?

Well, when each generation seems to cost 10 times as much as the previous
generation, I question how long until the Air Force consists of one
multi-role fighter bomber, one attack aircraft, one tanker, an AWACS, and
85 B-52s.

A far as "bang for the buck" the B-52 is the best airplane
the Air Force ever purchased
Old December 18th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

A far as "bang for the buck" the B-52 is the best airplane
the Air Force ever purchased

Agreed. Boeing must've built the BUFF hell-bent for strength, since
I've never heard about *any* fatigue issues in the fleet.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old December 18th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 18-Dec-2007, Jay Honeck wrote:

Agreed. Boeing must've built the BUFF hell-bent for strength, since
I've never heard about *any* fatigue issues in the fleet.
--
Jay Honeck

I once saw a drawing showing with shading of all the skin and structure that
has been replaced on the B-52 fleet over the years, and as I recall it
involved most of the exterior. Very little of the skin is original, if
memory serves me correctly. I think they replaced panels and structure
before fatigue became an issue.
On this topic, did ya'll know the entire USAF F-15 fleet is grounded with
the exception of the F-15Es? There was a recent crash of a Missouri ANG
Eagle in which the nose section snapped off in flight just behind the
cockpit. The pilot ejected safely. They've since identified other cracks
in the fuselage longerons of the crashed aircraft. They've found similar
fatigue cracks in eight other Eagles during four separate fleet-wide
inspections, and thet've decided not to lift the grounding order until
they are sure they've identified all of the potential areas for fatigue
cracks.
Scott Wilson
Old December 18th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Paul Tomblin wrote:

Well, when each generation seems to cost 10 times as much as the previous
generation, I question how long until the Air Force consists of one
multi-role fighter bomber, one attack aircraft, one tanker, an AWACS, and
85 B-52s.

That's good enough to be someone's sig...
Old December 18th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Al G[_1_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

Ancient? What does that make those who flew...Uh...Nevermind.

Al G

Old December 19th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Jay Honeck wrote:
More metal fatigue. Our military might as well be a chapter of the
Antique Aircraft Association in Blakesburg, Iowa...
************************************************* ************************************************** ******
Washington, USA - "Structural fatigue"
(WAPA) - The US Navy decided to ground 39 of its 161 P-3C Orion
reconnaissance planes, because according to data resulting from
examinations they show signs of "Structural fatigue on the lower
section of the wing". The aircraft will now undergo maintenance
interventions, which are expected to take from 18 to 24 months.

The P-3s have also been flying into hurricanes for a few decades. When you
beat an airplane up in weather like that, you can't expect it to last forever.
It's pretty impressive that they lasted this long (Weren't most of them built
in the 50s?). Structural fatigue is often directly related to the amount of
abuse and airframe must absorb. Navy planes are famous for requiring
special maintenance programs due to structural fatigue (usually the carrier
based ones).

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old December 19th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:37:03 -0500, john smith wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:
A far as "bang for the buck" the B-52 is the best airplane
the Air Force ever purchased

Agreed. Boeing must've built the BUFF hell-bent for strength, since
I've never heard about *any* fatigue issues in the fleet.

Did you look closely at the B-52 on display at the National Museum of
the United States Air Force?
On the left side of the fuselage, aft of the cockpit, there are several
wrinkles in the skin.

*********************************
John

That's normal. Lots of birds have 'tin caning' all over them.
Saw it on most big bombers and transports.

Big John
Old December 19th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 16:14:02 -0500, WolfRat wrote:

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, Jay Honeck said:
Another model of aircraft of the US armed forces to have recently
showed signs of fatigue has been the F-15 jet fighter (see AVIONEWS).
(Avionews)
************************************************** ************************************************** *****
How long can our guys be expected to hold the line with these ancient
airplanes?

Well, when each generation seems to cost 10 times as much as the previous
generation, I question how long until the Air Force consists of one
multi-role fighter bomber, one attack aircraft, one tanker, an AWACS, and
85 B-52s.

A far as "bang for the buck" the B-52 is the best airplane
the Air Force ever purchased

WolfRat

Only when they had air supremacy which the fighters gave them )

Big John