Headset Misfortunes

Old February 1st 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

Default Headset Misfortunes

We've had a string of headset misfortunes.

First, my Lightspeeds started acting up (some sort of ANR problem - more of
an annoyance than anything), so they went back to Lightspeed for a fix.
When they came back, the ANR was working, but the headset volume was so low
the headsets were not usable. In a conversation with Lightspeed, it turns
out that they upgraded my headsets when they were at the shop and the
upgrade (a new battery box with a cell phone adaptor) has a problem with
some intercom installations and gives the symptoms I'm experiencing. So
Lightspeed is sending me a "new" old-style battery box as a replacement.

In the meantime, I was gonna use Kelly's Telex headsets, but those babies
are deader than heck. The little power light on the battery box won't even
power up and the ANR doesn't work at all. So they are headed off to visit
the Telex service center. Their guess is that the circuit board in the
battery box has gone belly up.

So, I'm stuck using the 'ol reliable $89 David Clark knock-off's I got when
I earned my license. They are not nearly as bad as I remembered, and it is
nice not having to deal with a battery box and AA batteries that die at
inconvenient times...

Old February 1st 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

So, I'm stuck using the 'ol reliable $89 David Clark knock-off's I got
when I earned my license. They are not nearly as bad as I remembered, and
it is nice not having to deal with a battery box and AA batteries that die
at inconvenient times...

The last time I wore non-ANR headsets (last summer), I was stunned at the
level of racket and discomfort. I can't believe I used to fly with those
things!

Yeah, the batteries die at bad times, and older Lightspeeds were built like
1950s Japanese toys (the new ones are bulletproof, in my experience), but I
will never, ever, EVER go back to standard non-ANR headphones...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 1st 08, 11:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

So, I'm stuck using the 'ol reliable $89 David Clark knock-off's I
got when I earned my license. They are not nearly as bad as I
remembered, and it is nice not having to deal with a battery box and
AA batteries that die at inconvenient times...

The last time I wore non-ANR headsets (last summer), I was stunned at
the level of racket and discomfort. I can't believe I used to fly
with those things!

Wow, you were like a piloneer or something.

Bertie
Old February 1st 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

Jay Honeck wrote:
I will never, ever, EVER go back to standard non-ANR
headphones...

I will second that!!! Lightspeed are great!!
Old February 1st 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"NW_Pilot" wrote in
message . ..
Jay Honeck wrote:
I will never, ever, EVER go back to standard non-ANR headphones...

I will second that!!! Lightspeed are great!!

You're right, but mine have needed a surprising number of repairs. I'm
thinking three returns to the factory in 7 years plus two or three
replacements of the headset foam cups plus my new opportunity to replace the
battery box myself.

And that's with about 500 hours of use.

Not good, IMO, considering how reliable well built electronics are.

KB

Old February 1st 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

Kyle Boatright wrote:

"NW_Pilot" wrote in
message . ..
Jay Honeck wrote:
I will never, ever, EVER go back to standard non-ANR headphones...

I will second that!!! Lightspeed are great!!

You're right, but mine have needed a surprising number of repairs. I'm
thinking three returns to the factory in 7 years plus two or three
replacements of the headset foam cups plus my new opportunity to replace
the battery box myself.

And that's with about 500 hours of use.

Not good, IMO, considering how reliable well built electronics are.

KB

I believe they are mad in china I forgot the contract manufacture they are using
but they also make a few other anr headsets and other audio products.
Old February 2nd 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

You're right, but mine have needed a surprising number of repairs. I'm
thinking three returns to the factory in 7 years plus two or three
replacements of the headset foam cups plus my new opportunity to replace
the battery box myself.

Which Lightspeed model do you have, Kyle?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 2nd 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
You're right, but mine have needed a surprising number of repairs. I'm
thinking three returns to the factory in 7 years plus two or three
replacements of the headset foam cups plus my new opportunity to replace
the battery box myself.

Which Lightspeed model do you have, Kyle?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

I have a 25XL, which I just converted back to the original battery box
configuration. About a 10 minute task. The only tool requied was a
screwdriver.

Anyone want to buy the new style battery box I just removed? It has an
input for a cell phone or music. It's like new and comes with easy to
follow directions. Lightspeed gets $75 for this upgrade if you send your
headsets back to the factory. Unfortunately, the cell phone interface
causes problems with the occasional intercom system (mine, for instance).
This is a known issue according to the tech support person I spoke with. It
is a function of the unique design Lightspeed used for their interface.
Other headsets with cell/music adapters don't risk this problem.

Make offer to my e-mail address...

KB

Old February 2nd 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WJRFlyBoy

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 22:33:23 -0500, Kyle Boatright wrote:

So, I'm stuck using the 'ol reliable $89 David Clark knock-off's I got when
I earned my license. They are not nearly as bad as I remembered, and it is
nice not having to deal with a battery box and AA batteries that die at
inconvenient times...

Newbie question, is not carrying backup headsets and batteries a given?
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
Old February 2nd 08, 09:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Feb 1, 9:14 pm, WJRFlyBoy wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 22:33:23 -0500, Kyle Boatright wrote:
So, I'm stuck using the 'ol reliable $89 David Clark knock-off's I got when
I earned my license. They are not nearly as bad as I remembered, and it is
nice not having to deal with a battery box and AA batteries that die at
inconvenient times...

Newbie question, is not carrying backup headsets and batteries a given?
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!

it's still a pain in the ass to reach back and get the replacement
headset.

A different headset john smith Piloting 10 December 15th 06 11:55 PM
ANR headset - which one?? Ol Shy & Bashful Rotorcraft 2 December 21st 05 01:05 AM
ANR headset - which one?? B4RT Rotorcraft 0 November 16th 05 03:44 AM
Headset Ingo Wolf Piloting 12 September 2nd 04 05:38 AM
Best headset? Hankal Piloting 12 July 22nd 04 05:47 AM