Discovery Flight today...unexpected results

Old February 10th 08, 09:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
DGS

Default Discovery Flight today...unexpected results

Hi all. I'm a 39 year old guy who has loved flying and dreamt of
being a pilot for a long time. This year I finally realized that I
had more than enough money to start and figured I owed it to myself to
book a discovery flight with every intention of seeing it through to
my private pilot's license. I've also spent a ton of time through the
years on various PC based flightsims, and on them I've flown a variety
of aircraft and understand the instruments and navigation.

I've flown many times, and a good friend of mine has a Piper Saratoga
that I've flown in several times and even took the wheel for short
periods of time during cruise. I've never experienced anything other
than joy for it.

My flight instructer quickly introduced himself to me and did a very
short inspection of the plane. He then told me that I would basically
be piloting the plane through take off, the cruise through the
practice area, and landing. At that point I essentially broke out
into a cold sweat. I was able to get the plane taxied and off the
ground, and never at any point did I make any real mistakes or have
any bad maneuvers...but I was clear EXTREMELY nervous...to the point
of sweating. My instructor picked up on the fact that I was nervous,
and kind of just kept repeating "It's really not good to be too
nervous...that can be a problem" and other words to that effect. Once
we levelled off at 2500 feet he had me do some slow turns...still
nervous...death grip going on big time. He wants me to turn the plane
all the way around and go the opposite direction back towards the
airport. I'm turning the plane, but I don't know...I was just so
nervous of turning too hard. It was also a windy, choppy day so many
times the actual feeling of the wind throwing the plane around just
made me scared to maneuver it.

At that point the instructor decided I'd had enough and took back over
the controls. Immediately...nerves gone. The chop...didn't care a
bit. Total relaxation through a landing which even my instructor
admitted was a difficult one for him. I felt pretty dumb for being so
nervous.

At this point I don't know what to do. I've got the money, and deep
down for years I've wanted to do this. But I know that I can't
continue to be that nervous and continue my lessons. It simply can't
be good for my ability to make decisions in the air and I know that
scarier things like stalling and landing are coming up.

On the other hand...I also don't know about the instructor. He wasn't
overly helpful in combatting my nerves, and I have a feeling that the
right words of encouragment, or for that matter the occasional
instruction or "you're doing fine" maybe would have helped. In a lot
of ways I felt like he kind of just threw me out there before I was
ready mentally...I don't know.

Any feedback or experiences anyone can share? At this point I'm
really torn about trying again, while on the other hand still not
necessarily ready to back down from the challenge. Does this get
better? Or worse?
Old February 10th 08, 10:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Feb 10, 2:09 am, DGS wrote:
[...]

My first flight was almost exactly as how you described it. He had me
do all the taxiing, as well as the takeoff, which had me scared to
death. I remember him sitting there so calm, "just add power and keep
it on the centerline", while I'm over here sweating buckets. Once the
plane got rolling, we pulled hard to the left, then hard to the right,
then hard left again, until it lifted off. It scared me to death, and
I'm not the kind that get scared by things like that.

Basically, instructors spend pretty much all of their flying time with
post solo students. They sometimes forget that it takes about a dozen
flights before you can comfortably taxi out, takeoff, and maneuver
around. When I was an instructor, I estimate I spent probably 100
hours with pre-solo students, and about 700 hours with post-solo
students. I quit instructing before I was able to work with another
pre-solo student, but if I had, I would have had to re-tool my
routines greatly. Once the student gets to the point where they can do
it all by them selves, all the instructor does is pretty much observe
and explain stuff; very little touching of the controls is needed. The
instructor you flew with was defiantly in "post-solo mode" when he
should have been in "pre-solo mode".

My suggestion to you is to just do another discovery flight with
another instructor. Chances are, he'll be a little more accommodating
to your situation.
Old February 10th 08, 10:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
DGS

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 02:35:13 -0800 (PST), buttman
wrote:

On Feb 10, 2:09 am, DGS wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the response. I have actually been up all night somewhat
worried about this...it's been a disappointing day considering how
long I looked forward to it.

Just out of curiosity, considering your first experience was similar
to mine, did you stay with the same instructor?
Old February 10th 08, 11:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Feb 10, 3:52 am, DGS wrote:

Just out of curiosity, considering your first experience was similar
to mine, did you stay with the same instructor?

Yes, but I had no choice really. This was at a collegiate aviation
program where my instructor was basically a classmate of mine. I could
have switched, but for whatever reason I didn't. I forced my way
through it, though, because I knew once I actually finished the
training, I wouldn't have to fly with him anymore, and it would be fun
again. Plus I was a freshman in college, so I had other things on my
mind.

Looking back I should have, because the next instructor I was assigned
to (just before I solod) was way better and I actually ENJOYED flying
with him. There was a huge night and day difference between the two,
both "education" wise and "fun" wise. I remember actually dreading
going to my lessons with the first guy. I remember on my way to the
airport hoping the weather would be too bad to fly and he'd just tell
me to go home.
Old February 10th 08, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

DGS wrote:

At this point I don't know what to do. I've got the money, and deep
down for years I've wanted to do this. But I know that I can't
continue to be that nervous and continue my lessons. It simply can't
be good for my ability to make decisions in the air and I know that
scarier things like stalling and landing are coming up.

Look... it sounds like you have the strong desire, the intelligence
and the resources to make this happen. Sometimes intelligent people
can be so introspective that they can easily get a case of nerves.
At least try it again... perhaps choose a nice smooth calm day
so you can just concentrate on the feel of the airplane. What you
are feeling is really not at all uncommon in early flight training.

Many people (actually myself included) may think their 'natural'
flying talents are more prolific than they actually are, especially
those that may have spent a lot of time flying sims. Sims are
really not much at all like flying and can give you a false sense
of your abilities... then set you up for a let down when you try
flying a real airplane. They *can* be useful for practicing
certain instrument skills but thats really about it.

On the other hand...I also don't know about the instructor. He wasn't
overly helpful in combatting my nerves, and I have a feeling that the
right words of encouragment, or for that matter the occasional
instruction or "you're doing fine" maybe would have helped. In a lot
of ways I felt like he kind of just threw me out there before I was
ready mentally...I don't know.

The instructor is of course a key part of the equation. Sometimes
its easy to get complacent and not realize how nervous a first time
student can be. There needs to be a good match of personalities too,
but the instructor is supposed to be able to adjust to any student
(not always an easy thing to do at times, I can tell you firsthand).
That not withstanding, you do have to feel good about the CFI you
are training with so try another one. From what you said, it sounds
like the CFI you flew with was not very astute in terms of his
people skills.

Any feedback or experiences anyone can share? At this point I'm
really torn about trying again, while on the other hand still not
necessarily ready to back down from the challenge. Does this get
better? Or worse?

Do not give up on something you want to accomplish. If you give
up on something before you have even started you will anguish
over it for a long time and that's not good either. It DOES
get better and as your skills improve and your accomplishments
and flying time grow you will build a sense of confidence for
doing the things that require skill and knowledge.

You could go back are discuss this with the guy you flew with...
let him know what you told us... if he's a good guy he'll
start over and work with you. You may both end up having a
whole new respect for each other. Of course you can also
talk to another CFI and set up another intro flight. Its
your training and your money so you should feel good about
the guys you fly with.

Old February 10th 08, 01:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"DGS" wrote in message ...
Hi all. I'm a 39 year old guy who has loved flying and dreamt of
being a pilot for a long time. This year I finally realized that I
had more than enough money to start and figured I owed it to myself to
book a discovery flight with every intention of seeing it through to
my private pilot's license. I've also spent a ton of time through the
years on various PC based flightsims, and on them I've flown a variety
of aircraft and understand the instruments and navigation.

Did this 'instructor' share you passion for flying, or was he an hours builder looking for a way out to the airliner as
soon as possible? Many of the so-called CFIs loose sight of their passions for flying and end up simply building time so
they can move on. I suggest you find a different instructor, and maybe even a different school, to pursue your dream.

Don't give up on it, it really is the most enjoyable and challenging experience around!

Old February 10th 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
T. McQuinn

DGS wrote:
snip

Any feedback or experiences anyone can share? At this point I'm
really torn about trying again, while on the other hand still not
necessarily ready to back down from the challenge. Does this get
better? Or worse?

I had a similar experience. But I stayed with the guy for another
lesson or two until he nearly scared me to death. When I finally
returned to flying it was with a different instructor and after a few
thorough readings of Stick and Rudder. I soloed a few weeks later. In
my opinion this is something where student/instructor compatibility is
critical. To this day I don't click with all of them. And I only fly
with the ones I'm comfortable with and learn from. YMMV. I suppose if
you want to fly for the airlines, the day will come when you won't get
to choose who's giving you your training. Right now you have choices.

Tom
Old February 10th 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 03:09:15 -0600, DGS
wrote:

Any feedback or experiences anyone can share?

That's all totally normal. G

It's also normal to shop a bit for an instructor you "click" with.
Since you'll spend a decent amount of time in close quarters, under
hot, cold, and stressful conditions, the relationship is important.

Go chat with some more guys and gals, and see how you feel with them.
Old February 10th 08, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

DGS, if you live near mid Michigan give me a jingle on here... I know
some instructors who would give their eyeteeth to have a motivated
student who can actually afford the instruction - and they know how to
teach without frightening the student...

cheers ... denny
Old February 10th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 10, 7:30*am, "T. McQuinn" wrote:
DGS wrote:
snip

[...]

Yes, Stick and Rudder -- I advise strongly that you read it. I did
before I ever got in a plane. It may help a lot toward minimizing your
nervous feeling, and also find a different instructor. Consider
telling them about your first experience, and how the other instructor
made it worse, and what you're looking for.

I think the instructor you were with should not have said "It's not
good to be too nervous" on your first flight. That could only make
things worse, from a pedagogic perspective.