Is this B-52 photo real?

Old February 16th 04, 01:36 PM
Kulvinder Singh Matharu

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:23:02 +0000, Kulvinder Singh Matharu
wrote:

Here's the real deal...

http://www.militaryaircraft.de/aviexpics11/F18sound.jpg

Of course, other photos and videos here....
http://www.globemaster.de/airextreme/jets.html

--
Kulvinder Singh Matharu
Contact details : http://www.metalvortex.com/form/form.htm

"It ain't Coca Cola, it's rice" - The Clash
Old February 16th 04, 03:03 PM
BUFDRVR

I found a photo on the web which was described as a photo of a B-52
breaking the sound barrier. I do not believe this plane can do such a
thing in a positive manner. Is the photo genuine?

This could happen....although the picture needs to be rotated 90-degrees so
that the aircraft is pointed *straight down*! Actually, at around .84 Mach
(Indicated, about .92 Mach True) at high altitude, under the right conditions,
you can begin to see the shock wave just off the ALQ-172 antenna on the nose.
Seeing this is usually where pilots will look down at the A-A TACAN and see
their wingmen stretching out to 3+ miles. You also imagine the hundreds of
obscenities being hurled at from 3+ miles away

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old February 16th 04, 03:39 PM
Bill and Susan Maddux

good to here from Buffdrur again, and being an old buff crew chief it was
fun watching everyone discuss this. and Hell I even saved the picture to
enjoy over and over again. but it is correct that the only way this bird
could do this is straight down from a very high altitude.

Bill maddog Maddux
"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
I found a photo on the web which was described as a photo of a B-52
breaking the sound barrier. I do not believe this plane can do such a
thing in a positive manner. Is the photo genuine?

This could happen....although the picture needs to be rotated 90-degrees

so
that the aircraft is pointed *straight down*! Actually, at around .84 Mach
(Indicated, about .92 Mach True) at high altitude, under the right

conditions,
you can begin to see the shock wave just off the ALQ-172 antenna on the

nose.
Seeing this is usually where pilots will look down at the A-A TACAN and

see
their wingmen stretching out to 3+ miles. You also imagine the hundreds of
obscenities being hurled at from 3+ miles away

BUFDRVR

"Stay on the bomb run boys, I'm gonna get those bomb doors open if it

harelips
everyone on Bear Creek"

Old February 16th 04, 03:53 PM
BUFDRVR

but it is correct that the only way this bird
could do this is straight down from a very high altitude.

And only once

Good to hear from you again Bill.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old February 16th 04, 06:12 PM
Marc Reeve

wrote:

Here's the real deal...

http://www.militaryaircraft.de/aviexpics11/F18sound.jpg

Of course, other photos and videos here....
http://www.globemaster.de/airextreme/jets.html

Including this one, which various l00ns have claimed represents a B-2
breaking the sound barrier:

http://www.militaryaircraft.de/aviexpics11/b2.jpg
--
Marc Reeve
actual email address after removal of 4s & spaces is

Old February 16th 04, 08:49 PM
Bill and Susan Maddux

Haven't been on the newsgroup in a while, I have moved for my wife's health
to here home state of Missouri. I am a little close to a Buff Base now.
Keep them Flying Bufdrvr. sure do miss the old girls.

Old February 16th 04, 09:43 PM
Tex Houston

"Bill and Susan Maddux" wrote in message
. ..
Haven't been on the newsgroup in a while, I have moved for my wife's

health
to here home state of Missouri. I am a little close to a Buff Base now.
Keep them Flying Bufdrvr. sure do miss the old girls.

Well I guess Missouri is between the two B-52 bases, Barksdale and Minot but
close???

Tex

Old February 16th 04, 10:24 PM
BUFDRVR

Well I guess Missouri is between the two B-52 bases, Barksdale and Minot but
close???

Southern MO (around Joplin), is less than 250 miles from Barksdale. The only
problem is, until they complete I-49 north of Shreveport, there's no real
direct route. By my guess, Bill's about 4 hours from a BUFF base, which
now-a-days not too many people can say.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old February 16th 04, 10:34 PM
Tex Houston

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
Southern MO (around Joplin), is less than 250 miles from Barksdale. The

only
problem is, until they complete I-49 north of Shreveport, there's no real
direct route. By my guess, Bill's about 4 hours from a BUFF base, which
now-a-days not too many people can say.

BUFDRVR

Perhaps I'm spoiled. I can see signs for Schriever AFB and Peterson AFB on
the same pole..That doesn't count Cheyenne Mountain AFS and the Air Force
Academy. When I think close I'm talking 90 minutes...oops forgot Buckley
AFB. Besides Missouri has the home of the B-2, much more attractive to me.
Nothing against Barksdale or Minot...well maybe Minot.

Regards,

Tex Houston