Ham sandwich navigation and radar failure

Old December 22nd 03, 11:31 PM
Tarver Engineering

"James M. Knox" wrote in message
"Tarver Engineering" wrote in
:

I wrote my senior project on a CDC-4800, I don't think you can beat
that. A real "main frame" computer.

Actually, that's way newer than most of the ones I worked on. Heck, it

had
RTL IC's and (if I recall correctly) those wierd back-to-back cards. Not

vacuum tube in sight.

The part that was instructive about the CDC4800 mainframe was that it was
built on a frame similar to a telephone frame. The original I/O device was
a card reader, but there was tape for it by the 1970s.

Old December 23rd 03, 12:59 AM
Roger Halstead

Tom Pappano, PP-ASEL-IA, Ohio Scientific C1P 32k 6502 Dual floppy/ASR33

Man! Mine is absolutely modern.
C28P, 48K dynamic RAM and dual 8" Siemens drives.
Cost me $4,000 without a monitor or keyboard. I used a model 28
Teletype for a printer.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Return address modified due to dumb virus checkers
Old December 23rd 03, 09:13 PM
Everett M. Greene

"James M. Knox" writes:
"Tarver Engineering" wrote

I wrote my senior project on a CDC-4800, I don't think you can beat
that. A real "main frame" computer.

Actually, that's way newer than most of the ones I worked on. Heck, it had
RTL IC's and (if I recall correctly) those wierd back-to-back cards. Not a
vacuum tube in sight.

With RTL, you didn't need vacuum tubes to heat your space.

Do you want to know what a lightning spike does to a Bendix
G15 [vacuum tubes, serial, drum memory]?
Old December 24th 03, 01:36 AM
Ray Andraka

Sad part is that my airplane predates most of these computers. When new,
the computers cost much more than the airplane, but now I bet you couldn't
fill my tanks for what you could get for most of 'em!

Roy Smith wrote:

"James M. Knox" wrote:
I don't remember a mark instruction on a VAX, or even a PDP-11.

I don't remember the details, but it did something funky with the stack
pointer and R5 which only worked right if you weren't running separate
I/D space. Had something to do with jumping back and forth between
co-routines (early hardware support for threading?).

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old December 24th 03, 01:40 AM
Ray Andraka

Now we're talking. FIrst computer I built was an Ohio Scientific 6800 board.
I had been saving my pennies for the 6502 board, but managed to get one of the
very first 6800 boards. I lost that board 3 years ago in a flooded basement,
but I still have the original manuals that came with it.

Tom Pappano wrote:

Roy Smith wrote:
Dan Truesdell wrote:

Someone once told me that the term "winchester" came from IBM, where
their non-removable drive was the 3030. Any truth to that?

That's certainly the story I always heard. Goes back to the IBM-1130
days. I played with an 1130 some, but they were pretty much gone by the
time I came around.

I remember the "Winchester" as being a single platter sealed drive
that gave you 30 meg with 30 ms access time. The drives quickly
evolved into faster/higher capacity/smaller size units with the
name Winchester continuing to be associated with the "sealed"
method of construction. First actual 30-30 I remember seeing was
an option on a line of Ohio Scientific microcomputers.

Old December 24th 03, 02:14 AM
Dan Truesdell

Manuals are great. I still have my original PC (ATT/Oliveti), but also
have the manual for the "Trash 80" I first learned on (with a whopping
4K of memory. Gotta love that "CLOAD" command, too.)

Tom Pappano wrote:

Roy Smith wrote:

Dan Truesdell wrote:

[...]

Remove "2PLANES" to reply.

Old December 27th 03, 04:30 AM
Dave

Nothin like old farts in a ****in contest

Hamish Reid wrote:
In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

Hamish Reid wrote:

vi, humph. It's ed. Kids these days... :-). Anyone else for teco?

Never did any TECO, but I did use SOS, a close cousin. Used to be
pretty good at the 029 card punch too :-)

SOS? Luxury! I used to enter things with the front panel switches on
the PDP-11 (all too true, unfortunately -- I really am *not* nostalgic
for those days. Give me a nice G5 Mac any day).

Hamish (who once had his own vast 2.5Mb RK05 disk)

Old December 31st 03, 12:15 AM
David Brooks

"Nathan Young" wrote in message
om...
"David Brooks" wrote in message

For the purists, s/radar/RADAR/g. For the pedants, 1,$s/radar/RADAR/g

Love the VI commands. Shouldn't they have an escape-escape sequence

before them?

For the record, and getting back on the thread after a long time away from
my news server: I was visualizing piping the article through sed. Speaking
as someone who last worked on UNIX (at Microsoft) 3.5 years ago. Some things
you can't forget.

-- David Brooks