Twin nose protection

Old January 3rd 05, 08:04 PM
Jim Burns

Default Twin nose protection

Does anybody know a company that makes nose protectors for twins to protect
them from getting beat up by ice slung against the nose by the props? I've
seen rubber strips (ugly) and heard of fiberglass and aluminum panels that
can be painted, but I can't find a thing on the web.

I see the AOPA Win-a-Twinkie has PM Research leading edge abrasion boots
installed, but their web site doesn't mention anything about nose protection
other than for the radome. From the pictures in AOPA Pilot, they must be
paintable or clear.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

Old January 4th 05, 12:46 PM
Denny

I don't have a source for you to solve your problem.. I do have a
memory of being the copilot crossing Lake Michigan one dark night in
heavy icing, in a clapped out old Beech 18, with a load of auto
parts... The ice would build up around the hub and then sling off and
hit the fuselage with a deafening bang, right by my leg, causing me to
flinch.. At Oh Dark Thirty in the morning we managed a controlled
crash onto the runway at ORD... That ship has the multiple dents on
both sides of the fuselage, to this day... Since that night I have
solved the problem by refusing to fly in icing and my current twin has
no dents on the prop line, and is going to stay that way...

Denny

Old January 4th 05, 01:47 PM

I seem to remember you being an Aztec owner. We operated a couple of
Aztecs with hot props, one of them was a BFG STC'd install. It used
fiberglass panels attached with #6 machine screws into Riv-nuts into
the fuselage skin.

Pretty sure that hot props were a factory option on the later models,
but getting any PA23 info out of the Old Piper useta be a pain, don't
know if the New Piper is any different/better.

I would contact the Goodrich deice service center at 330.784.5477 or
330.494.4447.

http://www.deicerboots.goodrich.com/

Regards;

TC

Old January 4th 05, 04:25 PM
Jim Burns

Thanks TC,
I found the Field Kit and STC on BFG's site and emailed Airparts of Lock
Haven for a quote. If I ever get the time it would probably pay to cruise
the junkyards for components and just buy new elements.

Thanks
Jim

oups.com...

Old January 4th 05, 04:27 PM
Jim Burns

The ice would build up around the hub and then sling off and
hit the fuselage with a deafening bang, right by my leg, causing me to
flinch..

I thought my kids were kicking the side panels the other day. It wasn't
deafening, but definately loud enough to catch my attention.

Jim

Old January 4th 05, 07:18 PM

Anytime, my pleasure.

It's been a few years, some of my sources are long gone, but I still
speak fluent Aztec (when it comes to maintenance).

AP of LH is a good source for oddball Piper stuff. They were the people
to go to for years for engine instrumentation issues. Piper changed the
sender/gage vendors multiple times. APoLH use to fix me up with new
sending units (and calibrated my existing gages to those sending units)
during engine R/R. We always replaced sending units and performed gage
cals when hanging engines.

Regards;

TC