A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Howling sound when flying

Old October 12th 19, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Armand Charbonneau
external usenet poster

Default Howling sound when flying

My Ventus 2c makes a howling sound when flying at 0 flap setting. It is significantly less noticeable immediately after changing the flap setting either positive or negative. Pilots tell me they can hear it when flying overhead or landing. I can hear it seemingly behind me, inside the cockpit. Gear up or down does not seem to make a difference.

The glider was refinished with poly in 2012, so I suspect the wing seals are seven years old. Otherwise the ship in very good condition and soars nicely.

Does anyone know what could be causing this sound? I can replace all the seals this winter, but they appear to be in good condition, except maybe on the tail plane.

Old October 12th 19, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

On Saturday, 12 October 2019 18:42:44 UTC+3, Armand Charbonneau wrote:
My Ventus 2c makes a howling sound when flying at 0 flap setting. It is significantly less noticeable immediately after changing the flap setting either positive or negative. Pilots tell me they can hear it when flying overhead or landing. I can hear it seemingly behind me, inside the cockpit. Gear up or down does not seem to make a difference.

The glider was refinished with poly in 2012, so I suspect the wing seals are seven years old. Otherwise the ship in very good condition and soars nicely.

Does anyone know what could be causing this sound? I can replace all the seals this winter, but they appear to be in good condition, except maybe on the tail plane.

Ventus-2c (and D2b) has an extremely loud cockpit. You cannot do much for it.
Old October 12th 19, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Might also try rudder left and right, elevator, etc.
Old October 12th 19, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Armand Charbonneau
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 9:57:58 AM UTC-6, krasw wrote:
My Ventus 2c makes a howling sound when flying at 0 flap setting. It is significantly less noticeable immediately after changing the flap setting either positive or negative. Pilots tell me they can hear it when flying overhead or landing. I can hear it seemingly behind me, inside the cockpit.. Gear up or down does not seem to make a difference.

It is not just in the cockpit. I am told it is loud on the ground when flown overhead.
Old October 12th 19, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 9:45:01 AM UTC-7, Armand Charbonneau wrote:
On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 9:57:58 AM UTC-6, krasw wrote:

It is not just in the cockpit. I am told it is loud on the ground when flown overhead.

Well that sucks, literally. Start sealing. I have owned two SH gliders (N4, V2C) and they both benefited from gear well sealing, canopy, rudder, and control surfaces needed S-tape under mylar.
Old October 12th 19, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 11:42:44 AM UTC-4, Armand Charbonneau wrote:

It is surprising that this has not been aired before.
When I first flew my PIK 20 E there was a similar loud howl
at zero and neg flap settings. I speculated that this was resonant
vortex shedding from the top surface; the flap had an internal fabric seal
but this will not stop oscillatory flow.
The Aerodynamics prof at my alma mater replied that I was probably right;
resonant vortex shedding on the BAE 146 stol transport was close to
ending sales due to passenger complaints; when CU dept eng. found a solution.
Old October 12th 19, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Armand Charbonneau wrote on 10/12/2019 8:42 AM:

Did the howl start recently? Are the zig zag tapes in the correct position? Does
the back edge of the Mylar fairing strip (top and bottom) press against the
flap/ailerons in the Flap 0 position?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1
Old October 13th 19, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Armand Charbonneau
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 4:57:48 PM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Armand Charbonneau wrote on 10/12/2019 8:42 AM:
My Ventus 2c makes a howling sound when flying at 0 flap setting. It is significantly less noticeable immediately after changing the flap setting either positive or negative. Pilots tell me they can hear it when flying overhead or landing. I can hear it seemingly behind me, inside the cockpit.. Gear up or down does not seem to make a difference.

Did the howl start recently? Are the zig zag tapes in the correct position? Does
the back edge of the Mylar fairing strip (top and bottom) press against the
flap/ailerons in the Flap 0 position?

--

Howling has been there since I started flying about 105 hours ago. zig zag tapes look okay.

I will check the mylar strips (top and bottom) carefully with the wings assembled looking at flap 0.
Old October 13th 19, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Armand Charbonneau wrote on 10/12/2019 5:52 PM:
Howling has been there since I started flying about 105 hours ago. zig zag tapes look okay.

I will check the mylar strips (top and bottom) carefully with the wings assembled looking at flap 0.

Did the howling exist before the refinish? Perhaps the zig-zag was not placed in
the correct location, or it's the wrong zig-zag (too thin, perhaps).

--
Old October 13th 19, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GliderCZ
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 8:42:44 AM UTC-7, Armand Charbonneau wrote:

I own and fly V2C s/n 51 and have never experienced that problem. I also find the cockpit reasonably quiet if everything is well sealed; even more so since having a Hank Nixon turtleback vent installed.

But what initially struck me about your question though, is your use of the 0 flap setting. My SH flight manual doesn't even acknowledge 0-flaps as a cruise setting. By virtue of that (and advice from other V2C pilots) I never routinely use it. It's just a transit point between positive and negative settings. Sorry, if I steer the conversation off-topic.