New tablet PC of interest?

Old August 23rd 05, 05:19 AM
Jon Carlson

Default New tablet PC of interest?

I just noticed the new Fujitsu P1500... Check this one out....

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Eco...do?series=P15D

Small form factor, 1024x600 resolution, touch screen (not active
digitizer), convertible form factor so keyboard is built in. 2.2 lbs,
roughly 9" x 6" size (similar to P-600s). Downsides: no builtin
Bluetooth (that I can tell), it's not an official "XP Tablet PC" (this
could be an upside or a downside depending on your perspective),
resolution of 1024x768 would be a smidge better. Doesn't look like
they have an outdoor screen version but I saw it rumored that other
variations might be coming out - an official Tablet PC was one of the
rumors, and the outdoor screen version might be logical there.

Anyone seen one? How's the screen? A good choice for EFB use?

--

-Jon C.

Old August 23rd 05, 06:28 AM
max

Wow, the screen res on this one would probably display a full plate
without the panning I usually need to do on my 800x600 tablet.

I've been going back and forth between a tablet PC (Fujitsu LTC-500)
and a couple of notebooks, and have gone through multiple hard drives
on all systems when using them as EFBs. I've narrowed the problem down
to the fact that I use them all regularly between 17,000 and 18,000
feet. I've learned that most hard drives are prone to failure above
around 12,000 feet- lack of air pressure causing the heads to scratch
against, rather than float just above, the platters.

Has anyone else run into this issue computing at high, unpressurized
altitides?

Anyone know if this is still a problem with newer drives? I can't find
any onfo specific to that on this new one mentioned above.

-max

Old August 23rd 05, 06:30 AM
max

Wow, the screen res on this one would probably display a full plate
without the panning I usually need to do on my 800x600 tablet.

I've been going back and forth between a tablet PC (Fujitsu LTC-500)
and a couple of notebooks, and have gone through multiple hard drives
on all systems when using them as EFBs. I've narrowed the problem down
to the fact that I use them all regularly between 17,000 and 18,000
feet. I've learned that most hard drives are prone to failure above
around 12,000 feet- lack of air pressure causing the heads to scratch
against, rather than float just above, the platters.

Has anyone else run into this issue computing at high, unpressurized
altitides?

Anyone know if this is still a problem with newer drives? I can't find
any info specific to that on this new one mentioned above.

-max

Old August 23rd 05, 09:55 PM
My name

One of the "key success" factors (of the TabletPC viability) Microsoft
found during studies, was to create a product that was larger than the
PocketPC. Since one of the biggest target markets is medical, they wanted
to find something that will fit nicely into those lab coats.

I would expect to see quite a few of those in the very near future.

Larry
Old August 25th 05, 03:48 PM
Blanche

"Jon Carlson" wrote:

I just noticed the new Fujitsu P1500... Check this one out....

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Eco...do?series=P15D

can I reformat the HD and install Linux?

Old August 25th 05, 03:57 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Peter wrote:

There is the similar Dialogue Flybook

http://www.dialogue.com.tw/english/products/flybook.htm

which has all the connectivity options too, for getting weather/notams
on the move.

Whether any of these convertible laptops are rugged enough for
in-cockpit use is another matter.

Nice... Ever seen the price?
Old September 10th 05, 03:39 PM
hjarrett

I haven't been following the group for a while (new job) but this is a well
documented problem. The platen floats on an air cushion that is entrained
when the disc spins. There isn't enough air density to support the platen
above 10,000 to 12,000 feet. If you got any operation at all at 20,000' you
were doing REALLY well. Is there any way you can put the data from the HD
on a solid state memory device and just run what you need from RAM?
I am trying to do the same thing using a Fujitsu 3400 and (unfortunately)
got one that uses an NT OS. NT doesn't support USB connections. Anybody
have a restoration disc or OS on an external drive for a Fujitsu Pen Tablet
so I can convert to Win 98 or Win 2000?
Hank

ps.com...