Hearing Aids

Old February 18th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Hearing Aids

Anybody here use them? Care to share a PIREP?

Age and ignorance has caught up with me. I'm due for my next medical in
April and I'm trying to decide between the BTE or ITE model. Oh, that's
behind-the-ear or in-the-ear. I'm in a trial period and can choose between
them.
Both models have a switch position that allows electromagnetic pickup
from the headsets to prevent feedback. In either case, they effectively
block out more sound in that mode -- like the stall warning indicator.
That's no big deal, I haven't been able to hear that for the last couple
years anyway with the headset on.
The ITE seems more convenient since I don't snag the little plastic tube
that loops over the top of the ear and into the ear canal, but it feels like
I'm walking around with a banana in each ear most of the time.
The BTE, like I said, gets snagged now and then but they aren't affected
as much by wind noise when walking in the open. They are only a little more
comfortable, but slightly harder to maintain.

Which ones do you use? Pros? Cons?

The ignorance part in the first paragraph was not knowing about hearing
protection when I was on competitive rifle and pistol teams in the USMC --
and working in the 3rd Marine Air Wing. All prior to 1964. Don't ask my age.

Old February 18th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I don't use them, but do consider getting them for both ears. I've
found that stereo hearing makes a huge difference in intellegibility.
When I get an ear infection and lose partial hearing in just one ear, it
is surprising how much is lost overall.

Jose
Old February 18th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Casey: I use the "in the canal" type. I understand it is less
effective at high frequencies, etc but it works well with a headset, no
feedback problems. Your audiologist should have some input in the
decision. You will get used to the "banana in the ear" feeling. Leo.

Old February 18th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

As an added comment. I have a friend who tried the ITE hearing aids and
found they bothered him too much to wear them. He recently got BTE aids and
really likes them. Also he still has lots of hair and it covers the
external aid behind his ear and looks great. In my case (being bald) I
wouldn't like to wear those since they would really show up. I'm naturally
almost completely bald and my chemotherapy took the rest. Since my
Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma of the bone marrow (Agent Orange/Vietnam) is in
remission some has returned but I just keep it all shaved.

--

Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

Old February 18th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I've had ITE hearing aids for years. In my case it was initially just a
volume problem. Later it was also a problem distinguishing words even
though I could hear the sound OK. My first 2 sets were the teensy ones that
are almost invisible since they fit deeply in the ear. I recently got
larger ones from the VA that, although they are ITE type, they are much
larger than my first 2 and are more visible from the side view. The doctor
said the larger one was necessary to enclose more devices to allow me to
distinguish words.

But as for flying, I remove them. With a headset I am able to control the
volume quite well and have no problem flying without my hearing aids. I
also remove them when using my iPod since they block insertion of the ear
buds.

Old February 18th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 17:20:56 GMT, "Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com
wrote:

Anybody here use them? Care to share a PIREP?

I only fly right seat with a couple of friends. I wear BTE. They are
useless with the headset; the headset blocks the microphones
("transducers" in the hearing aid terminology). I use a Lightspeed
Twenty 3G. With my loss and the level control on them, I do very well
with my aids in my pocket.

Age and ignorance has caught up with me. I'm due for my next medical in
April and I'm trying to decide between the BTE or ITE model.

With ANR headsets, I suspect, but don't know, that ITE will work.
Remember that the ANR function uses time for sound to travel to cancel
with phase shift (I think) and the eardrum is the sense point.

Both models have a switch position that allows electromagnetic pickup
from the headsets to prevent feedback. In either case, they effectively
block out more sound in that mode -- like the stall warning indicator.
That's no big deal, I haven't been able to hear that for the last couple
years anyway with the headset on.

I've found the EM pickup mode useless. YMMV.

The BTE, like I said, gets snagged now and then but they aren't affected
as much by wind noise when walking in the open. They are only a little more
comfortable, but slightly harder to maintain.

I liked the BTE for my needs because they are available with 3
transducers and better noise cancellation; I do much work in
industrial plants and use them in lieu of hearing protection; they
work, but are not OSHA legal. FWIV, the batteries (cells) are larger
and last longer. I decided that the visibility of them did not bother
me.

I was talking to a hearing aid fitter who tole me about a new product
you might like; it is far more open (minimal "occlusion" if I remember
correctly is the term he used). It has 2 disadvantages; for MY wants,
thereis no outside blocking, and it cannot handle as much gain as a
traditional earmold BTE.

Another BTE plus is that if your hearing gets worse, they can be set
to higher gain than ITE, ITC, or CIC aids.

Old February 19th 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Casey,
Please post your decision as I was in USAF prior to 64 as a jet engine mech
and as I remember (if correctly) we have what is known as a high noise
impediment. Outside noise surrounding us decreases our ability to comprehend
the spoken word at different times depending on the amount and volume of
noise.

Old February 19th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Have you tried them with a headset? a few years ago when I still wore a
hearing aid (I have cochlear implant now), I got feedback whenever a
headphone was NEAR it.

You'll get used to the feeling of them being in your ear, just like
you'll get used to wearing shoes, for example (you do, dont you? )

John

Old February 20th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

" wrote in message
Casey,
Please post your decision as I was in USAF prior to 64 as a jet engine
mech and as I remember (if correctly) we have what is known as a high
noise impediment. Outside noise surrounding us decreases our ability to
comprehend the spoken word at different times depending on the amount and
volume of noise.

Hi Paul,
You put your finger on the mechanics of the hearing loss. Too bad we
didn't know better, back then. In 1967, at a physical for my second job out
of the USMC, the doctor said I should apply for a disability. Couldn't see
the point of it -- and still don't. I owe a lot to the Corps.
Since I've had an opportunity to do a good comparison between the
BTE and ITE styles, I've decided on the BTE.
The ITE, in my opinion for what that's worth, suffers from: (1) even a
moderate breeze induces a ROARING wind noise; (2) I can't use my cell phone
with them; (3) bone conduction noise while eating anything with more
texture than mashed potatoes totally blocks out conversation at the dinner
table [don't even think about potato chips!]; (4) battery usage is about
double that of BTE [that is probably a battery size issue]; (5) after three
weeks, I haven't gotten over the "banana-in-the-ear" syndrome.
At an attempt at objectivity, I will say the BTE is not without
problems: (1) getting the ear bud placed in the ear canal takes more effort
[if placed wrong it can cause lots of feedback and/or press uncomfortabley
on the eardrum]; (2) the transducer/amplifier unit is easier to dislodge
[read snag the little tube]; the ear tubes require, believe it or not, more
periodic cleaning; (3) moisture wicking "socks" on the headset interfere
with a comfortable fit [not a big problem, but nonetheless...].

Thanks to the entire RAP community for your comments.

By the way, I intend to leave the hearing aids off for the day before and
day of my next physical and see if I can still hear the "normal conversation
behind my back from six feet."

Regards,

Casey Wilson
Freelance Writer and
Professional Photographer

Old February 20th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com wrote in message
Anybody here use them? Care to share a PIREP?

Age and ignorance has caught up with me. I'm due for my next medical in

I am in the same position and I use ITE.I find they
work well with my David Clarks but not with telephones.
The bananna in the ear feeling goes away in a rather short
time.

There are no hearing aids that I have found that will ever match your
natural hearing.If anyone finds one please let me know.

Best of luck and let us know the outcome.

Bob Barker N8749S