"Winching in the evening" [movie]

Old January 4th 05, 03:35 PM
Peter Millenaar

Default "Winching in the evening" [movie]

I noticed one thing: The ASK-21 in your video has "braces" (Dunno
what they
are properly called) inside the canopy that those of my future club

don't
seem to have:

http://www.akaflieg-bonn.de/flugbetr/flugzeug.htm

Or

http://www.alexander-schleicher.de/e...ask21_main.htm

Is that a question of age or some special modification?

Hi,

These bars are a protection against the barbed wires (when
outlanding). There have been deadly accidents with gliders that hadn't
got these and outlanded it a too short field (not in our glidingclub I
believe).

So that's why all of our club's gliders have one installed.

Regards,
Peter.

p.s. in Dutch we call them "prikkeldraadstangen" (don't know how to
translate it, but something like "barbed wire bars").
Old January 4th 05, 03:42 PM
André Somers

Peter Millenaar wrote:

I noticed one thing: The ASK-21 in your video has "braces" (Dunno
what they are properly called) inside the canopy
Is that a question of age or some special modification?

These bars are a protection against the barbed wires (when
outlanding). There have been deadly accidents with gliders that hadn't
got these and outlanded it a too short field (not in our glidingclub I
believe).

So that's why all of our club's gliders have one installed.

These protective bars even used to be mandatory for all Dutch gliders. This
is no longer the case however. The bars did save some pilots for
decapitation however when hitting a wire fence.

André
Old January 4th 05, 09:43 PM
stephanevdv

I noticed one thing: The ASK-21 in your video has "braces" (Dunno what
they are properly called) inside the canopy

Until a few years ago, all Dutch gliders had to be modified by adding
these "barbed wire deflectors". A sensible precaution in a country
where outlanding fields are often small and fenced in with barbed wire
or electric wire. This mandatory mod has been done away with due to
European rulemaking. It was considered an obstacle to free trade
policies.

--
stephanevdv
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Old January 8th 05, 02:13 PM
tango4

prikkeldraadstangen

Quite literaly it means ' prickly wire longerons'. Pretty much what they
are!

:-)
Ian