Parachute Comfort

Old March 28th 13, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

Default Parachute Comfort

I mounted a 1050 BRS canister below the rear hatch. The Genesis was designed with BRS in mind, but never tested. The bridle mounts to the 4 lift-fitting, hard points just inside the skin. When deployed below 130 knots and not over 1050 GW, it will bring me down wings level with nose down about 30 degrees. If I should get center-punched bad enough to wipe out the BRS, I figure I would no longer be among the living, anyway. I feel very secure with my little red handle at arms reach and talk about a comfortable cockpit!
JJ
Old March 28th 13, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

On Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:15:30 PM UTC-7, JJ Sinclair wrote:
I mounted a 1050 BRS canister below the rear hatch. The Genesis was designed with BRS in mind, but never tested. The bridle mounts to the 4 lift-fitting, hard points just inside the skin. When deployed below 130 knots and not over 1050 GW, it will bring me down wings level with nose down about 30 degrees. If I should get center-punched bad enough to wipe out the BRS, I figure I would no longer be among the living, anyway. I feel very secure with my little red handle at arms reach and talk about a comfortable cockpit!

JJ

JJ, that's a pretty nice situation. Even though I rehearse the bailout sequence frequently, I've only got nominal confidence of getting out in a real emergency. Side mounted SH canopy drops my confidence even lower.

Craig
Old March 28th 13, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:15:30 PM UTC-6, JJ Sinclair wrote:
I mounted a 1050 BRS canister below the rear hatch. The Genesis was designed with BRS in mind, but never tested. The bridle mounts to the 4 lift-fitting, hard points just inside the skin. When deployed below 130 knots and not over 1050 GW, it will bring me down wings level with nose down about 30 degrees. If I should get center-punched bad enough to wipe out the BRS, I figure I would no longer be among the living, anyway. I feel very secure with my little red handle at arms reach and talk about a comfortable cockpit!

JJ

But JJ, unlike most of us, you have confidence (and experience) in capsule descents;^)

Old March 29th 13, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Frank,

You have me very curious about that comment. Was JJ an astronaut?

Paul
___________________

Old March 29th 13, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom K (ES)

Or a 'Vark driver??
Old March 29th 13, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Thursday, March 28, 2013 7:20:58 PM UTC-6, Tom K (ES) wrote:
Or a 'Vark driver??

That's it. Came down safely somewhere near Roseville, CA, IIRC. McClellan AFB was depot maintenance for the F-111 and they had to be test flown at the end of the visit of course.
Old March 29th 13, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

Actually, we parked a F-111F on the south side of Carson Sink east of Fallon, NV in 1972. Got her into a spin at 20,000 feet. After holding stick full forward, rudder neutral and roll-augmentation off for 8000 feet, we raised the little handles........everything worked as advertised. Sure is nice to have a readily available back up plan.
JJ
Old March 29th 13, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Clay[_4_]

On Friday, March 29, 2013 9:18:42 AM UTC-4, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Actually, we parked a F-111F on the south side of Carson Sink east of Fallon, NV in 1972. Got her into a spin at 20,000 feet. After holding stick full forward, rudder neutral and roll-augmentation off for 8000 feet, we raised the little handles........everything worked as advertised. Sure is nice to have a readily available back up plan.

JJ

Thanks to all you guys out there who have served. I could read this kind of stuff forever. Please don't be shy about it.
Old March 29th 13, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

"Paul Remde" wrote in message ...

Paul,

No, JJ was a F-111 Weapons Officer

Old March 29th 13, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Friday, March 29, 2013 7:18:42 AM UTC-6, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Actually, we parked a F-111F on the south side of Carson Sink east of Fallon, NV in 1972. Got her into a spin at 20,000 feet. After holding stick full forward, rudder neutral and roll-augmentation off for 8000 feet, we raised the little handles........everything worked as advertised. Sure is nice to have a readily available back up plan.

JJ

I think I confused that with one that happened while I was at McClellan in the early 1980's that ended near the RR tracks near Roseville. Certainly more 'interesting'.

Frank