Photo Pilot Certificates

Old September 23rd 04, 03:31 PM
KayInPA

Default Photo Pilot Certificates

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...04-3-046x.html

Quote: "AOPA worked closely with the committee, including the senior
minority member, Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.), to make sure pilots
would not have only one option — the closest flight standards
district office (FSDO) — for having their pictures taken. The
bill would require the FAA to assign designees — most likely
aviation medical examiners (AMEs) — to take official photos."

The pros/cons of the measure notwithstanding, wouldn't it make sense
to work with state driver's licensing centers? I mean, aren't they
already in the business of issuing (semi) secure identification
cards... in somewhat convenient locations nationwide?

---
Kay
PP-ASEL
email: remove ns from aviationns
Old September 23rd 04, 03:46 PM
G.R. Patterson III

KayInPA wrote:

The pros/cons of the measure notwithstanding, wouldn't it make sense
to work with state driver's licensing centers? I mean, aren't they
already in the business of issuing (semi) secure identification
cards... in somewhat convenient locations nationwide?

It would make more sense to simply require that the pilot submit photos in exactly
the same format and method as that currently used for passports.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old September 23rd 04, 04:19 PM
C J Campbell

Quite honestly, in the day of Photoshop, photos don't mean a darned thing.

Old September 23rd 04, 06:14 PM
Ron Natalie

"KayInPA" wrote in message om...

The pros/cons of the measure notwithstanding, wouldn't it make sense
to work with state driver's licensing centers? I mean, aren't they
already in the business of issuing (semi) secure identification
cards... in somewhat convenient locations nationwide?

Not in this state. The DMV is worse than dealing with the FSDO.

What they really need to do is allow the photos to be handled like
Passports and other INS documents. You can go to the local photo
place and then you submit the photos with a certified application to
be made into the ID.

Old September 23rd 04, 07:15 PM
Jay Masino

Does anyone know how they're handling the fact that our certificates are
permenant, yet our appearance can change over time? Will we get a new
photograph at every medical? Will we end up with three different cards...
a permenant certificate, a medical, and a photo ID card? I can't see why
they don't keep using the rule where you have to have you're state
driver's license on your person, when flying. I realize state licenses
are not consistent, but the whole idea of this ID is silly, anyway.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old September 23rd 04, 09:05 PM
kontiki

Really. Why not stop these terrorist people from getting into the country in the
first place? Seems like what we are doing now is hiring a bunch of government
employees to plug holes in the dike. When they run out of fingers they start
looking for civilian "volunteers".

Its a huge joke, because illegal immigration is the dirty little secret that
very damn few politicians will even talk about, much less do anything about.

Oh well... Nero fiddled while Rome burned.

Old September 23rd 04, 09:22 PM
Shiver Me Timbers

kontiki wrote:

Why not stop these terrorist people from getting into
the country in the first place?

The above comment you made is so vague and generic as to defy
description.

So why don't you come back to the group and specifically tell us all
just exactly you would do to stop any terrorist from getting into
your country in the first place.

Seems like what we are doing now is hiring a bunch of government
employees to plug holes in the dike.

Who is "we"..... All your doing is mouthing off in a newsgroup about a
problem your government is well aware of, and you are not giving any
specific examples of just what should be or could be done to plug all
the holes in that dike.

Rhetoric is one thing that everyone in a newsgroup is good at.

Specific and viable solutions to the problem are a different matter
altogether.

So hop to it kontiki, hoist that sail, grab your oar, and tell us
exactly how you would solve the problem..... and leave your
rhetoric behind.
Old September 23rd 04, 09:58 PM
kontiki

Shiver Me Timbers wrote:

kontiki wrote:

Why not stop these terrorist people from getting into
the country in the first place?

The above comment you made is so vague and generic as to defy
description.

So why don't you come back to the group and specifically tell us all
just exactly you would do to stop any terrorist from getting into
your country in the first place.

Okay.. thank you for allowing me to elaborate. Every single day hundreds
of unknown, undocumented individuals enter this country across our borders.
The Border Patrol makes but a dent in this number. Who these people are, where
they come from and their exact intentions are totally unknown. Yes, many of them
come from Mexico and countries in South America looking for a better life.
An unknown quantity of other individuals, however, are coming here for other
purposes. These are the ones that would do us harm and they know they have a 50/50
chance of getting in here *totally* undetected. No paperwork... no way to
determine their motives... their intentions or their criminal or political history.

There is also a northern border that is just as porus. I submit that a reasonable
person would conclude that a good use of a percentage of US forces might be to
assist the Border Patrol monitor and secure these borders to a greater extent than
they are today. I bet if you took a poll of all troops in Iraq and asked them if
they would rather serve their tours assisting the border patrol HERE in the US or
in the deserts of Iraq would find a lot of volunteers for the program.

In fact.... I one might also conclude that critical monitoring of who GOT a Visa
and who didn't and just what these visa holders where actually DOING in this country
might have prevented 9-11. It was, after all, the responsibility of the INS to do
this very thing, which they utterly failed to do. The result was that the INS was
dissolved... I don't know about you but I feel better already.

Seems like what we are doing now is hiring a bunch of government

employees to plug holes in the dike.

Who is "we"..... All your doing is mouthing off in a newsgroup about a
problem your government is well aware of, and you are not giving any
specific examples of just what should be or could be done to plug all
the holes in that dike.

"WE" are American citizens and LEGAL immigrants/visitors. I just one specific
examples above, please read. If you desire more I will gladly oblige.

Rhetoric is one thing that everyone in a newsgroup is good at.

Please highlight ANYTHING I just said that any reasonable person would consider
to be simply "rhetoric".

Specific and viable solutions to the problem are a different matter
altogether.

I just gave one. I could give more if you are really interested.

So hop to it kontiki, hoist that sail, grab your oar, and tell us
exactly how you would solve the problem..... and leave your
rhetoric behind.

Balls in your court... diagram all of my rhetoric to the rest of the group.