Accident in Namibia, SH Ventus 2cxm

Old January 3rd 16, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
smfidler

Default Accident in Namibia, SH Ventus 2cxm

http://www.az.com.na/unf-lle/schweiz...ngl-ckt.428806
Old January 3rd 16, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sad news.

Best I can understand the translation, it took several days to locate the wreckage. I would think that *everyone* flying there would be carrying a live tracking device due to the vast and remote area they're flying over.

Old January 4th 16, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
smfidler

It's incredible that at least a sat tracker, and better yet an ELT is not onboard. Even if he landed out safely, the dangers in that region are extreme.

Sad. I wish we all could see the trace. I'm sure it tells the story.
Old January 4th 16, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 7:21:54 PM UTC-5, smfidler wrote:
It's incredible that at least a sat tracker, and better yet an ELT is not onboard. Even if he landed out safely, the dangers in that region are extreme.

Sad. I wish we all could see the trace. I'm sure it tells the story.

First, condolences to the pilots family & friends, hope something meaningful is discovered in the investigation. Sad day indeed.

Second, any sort of tracker/ELT is not mentioned, although it may have been there. Have to wait until the final report.

PS, [apologies upfront to peeps that knew the pilot], I figured that "due to who posted this originally" it was a case of a Flarm vs. non-Flarm mid-air and thus justification for full Flarm......

Again, a sad day regardless.
Old January 4th 16, 05:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I hope that after a good sleep you come to your senses and remove your post script 'UH'. It's never ok to use the death of a fellow aviator to point score. It's pathetic.

CJ
Old January 4th 16, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 3:39:58 PM UTC-5, smfidler wrote:
http://www.az.com.na/unf-lle/schweiz...ngl-ckt.428806

Our condolences to family and friends.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=182937
Old January 4th 16, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 2:39:58 PM UTC-6, smfidler wrote:
http://www.az.com.na/unf-lle/schweiz...ngl-ckt.428806

Thank you Sean, very tragic. Why are they having all those accidents? The article is also referring to the ASH 25 that crashed recently killing two New Zealanders. It is indeed unbelievable that they don't carry satellite trackers.
Old January 4th 16, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
smfidler

Its really sad. The sport is so fun, but the accidents are so tragic. I really think we need to be more open about the causes, share the traces, more promptly share the facts so that we all can understand the reasons and make changes, if mecessary, to our own decision making process.

Was this an error in judgement?

Was is medical? Heat? Long flight?

Did the glider break?

Why no tracker? Did it fail? User Error?

With each accident, huge amounts of information is held close to the chest by many (I have been guilty of this myself) in order to protect themselves, or the feelings of others. I get it...but big picture...shouldnt we all be able to see the IGC traces of any glider accident. No commentary, respect, but the chance to see the general decision making if it was pilot error.

I know these ideas have a snowballs chance in hell. But I wish they were accepted.

I want my trace shared if I am killed in an accident. I want people to learn all that they can from any mistake I make. I will have no ego left to bruise!

Sean
Old January 4th 16, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Christopher Giacomo

+1 Sean,
The problem, however, almost always comes down pride. Most pilots (students and experienced) that I have instructed with have a difficult time staying non-defensive when their safety margin on a pattern or landing is questioned.
Now extrapolate that out to a situation where there is a very public embarrassment and serious internal questioning of your pilot and decision-making skills, and it starts to become far more understandable that the wreckage we get tossed in the back of the barn and the pilots not want to talk about it until after it has become news. If you are dead, well I guess your ego statement would be accurate, but no surviving family members wants to hear RAS's comments and speculation about their now deceased idiot, nitwit, or whatever otherwise disrespectful term the peanut gallery musters up...If this forum can't respectfully debate whether to partially silence a radar for the spirit of competition, do you really trust them to professionally discuss a decision process that ended in fatality?

In my case (see Oct post), Getting over that first hurdle of internal analysis and self-reflection was the hardest step. Once over that step by discussions with a few very experienced and thoughtful mentors, the public analysis and discussion actually became very helpful and almost therapeutic in "getting over it."

I agree it is incredibly helpful and rare that accident data is shared, but the hardest decision I made during and after my accident was weighing safety and educational benefit with ridicule and reprisal by sharing the story and data on RAS. I am glad that I did, and have already given 2 safety presentations on the accident, but I fully understand why others would not.

Chris
(Formerly "MW")

Old January 4th 16, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Juanman[_2_]

Terrible news. Having just flown a V2CX in South Africa (with SPOT) I wonder if the pilot was trying to start the engine too low and got into trouble. Hard to tell from the wreck photos. Apparently he went head on, likely from a low altitude spin. Depending on the area in Namibia good places to land out may be few and far between.

Also, the pilot had not logged any flights since his arrival on OLC, which is customary.
More photos of the wreck he

http://internationalflyerz.co.za/viewtopic.php?t=22363

Juan

Namibia - Bitterwasser rhwoody Soaring 4 March 2nd 11 09:33 PM
Ventus 2cxM Solo 2625 01 EGT Installation Chris Woolley Soaring 2 April 4th 08 04:09 AM
Gliding in Namibia Ian Johnston Soaring 13 April 29th 06 07:01 AM
[PICTURES] NAMIBIA Frederic FUCHS Soaring 6 January 13th 06 02:58 PM
Flying In namibia tom Piloting 1 March 22nd 05 07:07 PM