Wacky Tracky

Old June 3rd 16, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Default Wacky Tracky

June 2nd at about 130PM Pacific it appears that trackers stopped working.
InReach and SPOT both dropped out.
Tracking sites show yesterday's complete tracks today.

My APRS did not function properly yesterday, which may or may not be related.
Did not see evidence in flight of GPS jamming.
Received multiple messages "please check in" or similar from friends who noticed.

Solar activity?
Jim
Old June 3rd 16, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Fri, 03 Jun 2016 08:58:35 -0700, JS wrote:

June 2nd at about 130PM Pacific it appears that trackers stopped
working. InReach and SPOT both dropped out.
Tracking sites show yesterday's complete tracks today.

My APRS did not function properly yesterday, which may or may not be
related. Did not see evidence in flight of GPS jamming.
Received multiple messages "please check in" or similar from friends who
noticed.

Solar activity?

Seems unlikely - the sun has been pretty quiet for the last three days.
Details are he
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/communities...er-enthusiasts

and look at the 'Space Weather Overview' and the '3 Day Satellite
Environment' to see whats come our way recently.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old June 4th 16, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

Good God, man!

Clearly you need another electronslingerbabysitterbloodhound thingie.

I trust you landed before anything Bad happened!

The horror! Glad you survived. Probably a terrorist plot to disappear wayward glider pilots. Or maybe China Lake dudes got Google and gps confused on their Windows machines.
Old June 4th 16, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Friday, 3 June 2016 17:55:50 UTC-6, wrote:
Good God, man!

Clearly you need another electronslingerbabysitterbloodhound thingie.

I trust you landed before anything Bad happened!

The horror! Glad you survived. Probably a terrorist plot to disappear wayward glider pilots. Or maybe China Lake dudes got Google and gps confused on their Windows machines.

There has much GPS jamming occurring from China Lake recently, and for that matter throughout the month of June. You can see current NOTAMS here https://www.notams.faa.gov/dinsQuery...NotamAction.do

I do not know how to in the past to see if there was the day you flew. Not sure where you flew from either
Old June 4th 16, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soarhead

You might try that thingy called "maps." Much cheaper than the Infotainment Center found in most gliders these days, and not subject to GPS blackouts. A useful accessory is the "compass," if you are not flying out west, where you can navigate by seeing those things called "mountains."
Old June 4th 16, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You might consider reading the original post. People on the ground were not seeing the tracking information - nothing to do with what JS was seeing. It appears that both satellite tracking companies were having trouble getting data onto their websites. But a day later the info was there, quite odd.

Delays like this can be troubling for folks on the ground trying to figure out whether the pilot has crashed or there's just a glitch somewhere in the loop.

Old June 4th 16, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ditto's Soarhead and Dan. Mercy sakes if no one can track your flight. Fly the flight, enjoy the time away from wife kids work problems and distractions. If thats too disconcerting may I suggest a two place machine. That way you always know at least one other person knows where you are.

I get the original intent of the post but geesh, we can do just fine without the tracking. As Dan stated, we did fine doing decades of xc without gps or Spots or cell phones for that matter. Spend your time flying more efficiently, staying out of trouble and making friends with the farmer or rancher who owns the field you end up landing in, you can call home then and you may make a lasting friend, get a good home cooked meal or have fun with the farmers daughter.
As for the "safety" factor, having been part of search and rescue and CAP for years, good luck. If you depend on them your already in trouble. All my long flights were out of Minden and. I knew I was on my own, period. A survival kit, my wits and decent decision making are the best tools for survival. Communications come in a distant second.
Old June 4th 16, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Sure we can do without all the technologies just like the old days. Leave your batteries at home. We can also spend days walking out or found few years later like Fossett. Thanks to technology, especially trackers, we don't even need to rely on SAR, our friends can find us faster. In the past there was no other way, but nowadays flying cross country without one is downright irresponsible.

Ramy
Old June 4th 16, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well Ramy"irresponsible" is a pretty strong word. I would say the guy who flies xc who makes bad decisions and cracks up his bird is the ultimate in "irresponsibility" or the guy who flies thinking his L/D will get him out of trouble or get him home every time is the "irresponsible" party.

Modern tec is nice, I have it, I use it, including amateur radio, but it is absolutely secondary to decent airmanship and proper educated self reliance. Anyone who thinks spot or flight tracking is gonna save him, is a fool in my opinion. All it will do is help find your body a little faster making for a more timely funeral service. We beed more people to accept personal responsibility for their flying and their survival, this may include location tracking devices but it most definitely includes educated self reliance.

A wacky idea Ramapriya Piloting 15 November 16th 04 06:22 PM
Wacky instrument question.... Frode Berg Owning 5 May 28th 04 08:44 AM
Wacky question-plane and bass!! Frode Berg Piloting 8 May 18th 04 11:23 PM