Flying to Dayton for Hamvention

Old March 28th 05, 06:17 AM

Default Flying to Dayton for Hamvention

OK, you ham radio pilots...I know you're out there!

Im interested in flying to Dayton for Hamvention, looking for
suggestions on "whatever"
-Flying to DAY:which FBO?
-How to get from DAY to HARA Arena?
-alternate airports? Instrument approach preferred.

Here's the plan:
Leave Cleveland Ohio area, either BKL(Burke) or LPR(Lorain Co)
around 7:30 AM on the Saturday, fly to DAY, return after 5 PM.

Probably a 172, or DA40 with 3 on board, about 110-120 KTAS.
Looks like less than 1.5 hours, vectoring included.

The idea is to save time over the 4.5 hour drive from
Cleveland...especially the long drive back. I'm sure there will be a
million planes at DAY that day, and I'm prepared to deal with that.

Thanks!
--Don

Don Byrer
Electronics Technician/Friendly but Sarcastic Pilot
FAA Airways Facilites/Tech Ops, RADAR/Data/Comm @ CLE
Amateur Radio KJ5KB
Instrument Pilot Commercial Student
PP-ASEL 30 Jan 2005 "-IA" 25 Mar 2005

Old March 28th 05, 07:28 PM

A couple of years ago I flew in without any ground transport arranged.
I just got on the 2-meter hamfest frequency (I forget what it was) and
announced I was at the airport looking for a ride. No problem - I had
them lined up for me. Same on the way back - just put out a call for
anyone going by the airport.

Good luck!
Jack
WA2OLZ
Sundowner - N6363U

Old March 29th 05, 03:05 AM
Mike W.

wrote in message
OK, you ham radio pilots...I know you're out there!

Im interested in flying to Dayton for Hamvention, looking for
suggestions on "whatever"
-Flying to DAY:which FBO?

Stevens Aviation, lowest fuel prices if you want to top off.. Added plus is
Dayton FSS is right there on the field, walking distance from the FBO.

-alternate airports? Instrument approach preferred.

Hmmm. You want in Dayton area? Springfield-Beckley or weather alt? Port
Columbus

--
Hello, my name is Mike, and I am an airplane addict....

Old March 29th 05, 05:33 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Stevens is a good choice for FBO.

Alternate airports - are you talking about legal alternates? If so,
there aren't many alternates closeby except DAY itself.

"Mike W." wrote in
:

Old March 29th 05, 05:50 AM
A.Coleman

Are there STILL ham radio buffs out there? Why ? What's the attraction,
what with internet, satellite, wireless, etc?

Old March 29th 05, 05:54 AM
Morgans

"A.Coleman" wrote in message
om...
Are there STILL ham radio buffs out there? Why ? What's the attraction,
what with internet, satellite, wireless, etc?

It is kinda' like talking to other people via keyboard here. There are
better ways, but the randomness is rather stimulating.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 29th 05, 06:05 AM

Thanks for all the tips, guys.
I might try the talk-in freq idea.

Not sure how taxi's are in Dayton. ??
Great in toronto, horrible at PIT, lousy at Cleveland airport unless
you call Westlake cab (off site local company); they treat you right.

Two votes for Stevens FBO...OK! Makes that easy...

Well, I was thinking alt-as in 'other than DAY'...but there aint none.
Guess I'm spoiled here in the Cleveland area. You can't go more than
10 miles here without tripping over an airport or two...most with at
least a VOR-A instrument approach.

I guess I could file ILN as an alternate...but Airborne might be a bit
PO'd if I actually landed there...
May as well make the alternate CMH or CLE...cuz if I can't get to DAY
it dont matter!
If it's much worse than MVFR I probly wont go anyhow. Need to get
the confidence level up first!
Can always drive at the last minute, and park at the mall.

Further suggestions welcome!

Old March 29th 05, 06:11 AM
Peter Duniho

"A.Coleman" wrote in message
om...
Are there STILL ham radio buffs out there? Why ? What's the attraction,
what with internet, satellite, wireless, etc?

Same reason there are still people who can't figure out how to trim a quote.

Why shouldn't there still be ham radio buffs out there? People still cook
entire meals, in spite of the ample availability of frozen dinners and
take-out. They still restore antique cars and spend many hours keeping them
running, in spite of the fact that modern cars that are more reliable, more
efficient, and which drive better. I've heard there are even people out
there that fly airplanes with only a compass and an altimeter, even though
"modern" airplanes have had electrical systems for decades now.

Geez...get off his case. Personally, I've got no interest in ham radio.
But to question someone else because they do? What's the point in doing
that? If they enjoy it, more power to them. What do you care? And more
importantly, what in the world does the existence of alternative means of
communication have to do with whether someone might be interest in ham
radio?

By the way, ham radio IS "wireless".

Pete

Old March 29th 05, 06:28 AM
Jose

I've heard there are even people out
there that fly airplanes with only a compass and an altimeter, even though
"modern" airplanes have had electrical systems for decades now.

They have altimeters?

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.