Smithsonian museum at Dulles

Old May 29th 05, 02:38 PM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
We've got Muscatine St., Muscatine Avenue, Lower Muscatine Dr -- what,
like, no one could think of a unique name for these streets? When we
first moved here, we were on the wrong Muscatine every day.

Perhaps it's the exaggerated impression of an out-of-towner, but aren't
half the streets, lanes, parkways and boulevards in Atlanta named
"Peachtree?"

....not to mention an airport.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old May 29th 05, 03:04 PM
Ron Natalie

Robert M. Gary wrote:

By the time I got there it was 59 minutes before closing and they close
the main gate an hour before closing. So 2 hours of driving all over
the place were wasted. Next time, I'm bringing the laptop with the
built-in GPS and teach my wife to use it.

Say what? The main gate stays open well beyond closing. As a matter
of fact after 4PM the parking lot toll takers depart so you don't
even have to pay.

Sorry about our rather confusing road systems. Theres all sorts of
stupid political reasons. You don't have to ride out the Dulles road
both ways however. Once you make the (quasi improper) pass by the
main terminal you can exit at the first exit (all the airport road
exits FACE the airport, the road is a going-to-from Dulles only
exercise). The museum is three miles or so down Route 28 (which
nobody really calls Sully Road) on the right. Along with another
curiosity that NOBODY has explained to me: the employee entrance
to the airport used to be "GATE 4" but when they built the museum
entrance at the same point it is now Gate 317? Nobody has been
able to explain where 317 comes from. I call it gate 9 3/4 now.
Old May 29th 05, 03:07 PM
Ron Natalie

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Maybe its worse with M.S streets since it only seems to show the
federal name.

We actually have three levels of names. What EVERYBODY refers
to as the "Fairfax Count Parkway" is also known as state road
7100 and by the official name "John (Jack) Herrity Parkway"
(it also has a fourth name "Springfield Bypass" but they gave
up on that one some time ago, the road still fails to either
enter or bypass Springfield, that's the last two miles they
ever finished).

Margy's car's satnav system displays the first three of those.
It makes the screen a bit cluttered.
Old May 29th 05, 04:08 PM
John Gaquin

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

I have never been to any city in the U. S. where the locals did not
believe their fellow drivers were the worst anywhere.

......except that I am not a native, nor currently a resident, of the
Washington, No VA area.

Old May 29th 05, 04:11 PM
John Gaquin

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message

... I do have a map, its M.S. streets.

Ah, there's the problem. Next time you travel, invest in a real map book.
I recommend those published by American Map. An $18-$20 purchase could have
saved you a hundred worth of aggravation.

Old May 29th 05, 04:16 PM
John Gaquin

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Even funnier is our latest-and-greatest computer-controlled stoplights,
now with little cameras on each pole. Because of this wonderful system,
it is now possible to get EVERY SINGLE RED LIGHT as you drive across town!
What a wonderful innovation!

When traffic is relatively light, they do an okay job of keeping things
moving -- but as soon as things pick up, bang -- you WILL get every red
light, as it is working just a smidge out of sync with the actual traffic
flow.

When I lived in Denver in the early 70s, they had lights on main
thoroughfares synchronized to the speed limit. I don't know what the system
was. If you drove right about the speed limit, you could go six miles
across town and hit every green. I did it numerous times. Those who tried
to rush invariably got caught at the next light.

Old May 29th 05, 06:35 PM
Jon Woellhaf

Dan Luke asked, "... aren't half the streets, lanes, parkways and boulevards
in Atlanta named Peachtree?"

My wife and I had the same impression.

Old May 29th 05, 06:45 PM
Montblack

("Ron Natalie" wrote)
We actually have three levels of names. What EVERYBODY refers
to as the "Fairfax Count Parkway" is also known as state road
7100 and by the official name "John (Jack) Herrity Parkway"
(it also has a fourth name "Springfield Bypass" but they gave
up on that one some time ago, the road still fails to either
enter or bypass Springfield, that's the last two miles they
ever finished).

We had (Freeway) 118 pass by our airport for years - with an Airport Rd
exit.

They finally connected 118 to the "610 bridge" (Mississippi River) in 1998
after about 15 years of no construction. I said flip a coin for the final
name - I liked 118 because it was on my side of the river g, plus we
already have a 694 just south of us, so 610 might be confusing for some I
thought.

They decided on Hwy 10. This is a problem.

The "old" Hwy 10 is the first exit south off of I-35 from the "new" Hwy 10
....confusion.

They added to the confusion. They renamed the previous Hwy 10 ...County 10.

So now when you head north on I-35 out of Minneapolis, instead of exiting on
118 (or 610) you now have two choices of 10's to exit on - right next to
each other. Hwy 10 or Co. Rd 10.

We call them "New 10" and "Old 10" but MN-DOT won't put that on the signs!!!

Oh well.

Montblack

Old May 30th 05, 01:45 AM
Jay Honeck

When I lived in Denver in the early 70s, they had lights on main
thoroughfares synchronized to the speed limit. I don't know what the
system was. If you drove right about the speed limit, you could go six
miles across town and hit every green. I did it numerous times. Those who
tried to rush invariably got caught at the next light.

Ah, those were the days -- I remember them well.

Now, with each stop light sensored individually, there is no "right" speed.

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA