IFR through Florida - airways?

Old January 5th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

Default IFR through Florida - airways?

Due to a business meeting, I will be flying from NY to Miami, Florida in a
few weeks.

In looking over the en route charts, I see a lot of MOAs, restricted, and
prohibited airspaces throughout Florida. Also, my destination is
Kendall-Tamiami (KTMB), which is just southwest of Miami International and
below their Class B.

It appears that the most likely option is to plan and file airways/VORs
through central and western Florida, with the idea of arriving into TMB
from the west and ask for direct as I am flying, rather than filing direct.

Could anyone with Florida IFR experience share your thoughts on IFR flight
through Florida? Thanks.

--
Peter
Old January 5th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
john smith

Peter R. wrote:

Due to a business meeting, I will be flying from NY to Miami, Florida in a
few weeks.

In looking over the en route charts, I see a lot of MOAs, restricted, and
prohibited airspaces throughout Florida. Also, my destination is
Kendall-Tamiami (KTMB), which is just southwest of Miami International and
below their Class B.

It appears that the most likely option is to plan and file airways/VORs
through central and western Florida, with the idea of arriving into TMB
from the west and ask for direct as I am flying, rather than filing direct.

Could anyone with Florida IFR experience share your thoughts on IFR flight
through Florida? Thanks.

If you are planning on flying down the east coast, from the GA-FL border
to Vero Beach, expect a reroute around JAX airspace to the west (I call
it the Central Florida Tour) unless you can fly above 12,000.

Old January 5th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

john smith wrote:

If you are planning on flying down the east coast, from the GA-FL border
to Vero Beach, expect a reroute around JAX airspace to the west (I call
it the Central Florida Tour) unless you can fly above 12,000.

Thanks. I do have the capabilities to fly above 12k if need be. My
concern about coming down the east coast is that what happens upon reaching
Miami class B. I would expect a lot of vectoring out of the way there.

--
Peter
Old January 5th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Patrick Mayer

I've been flying there once. Filed down the east coast, although there was a
Shuttle landing at that day and the airspace was supposed to be closed until
around my crossing time there.

Got cleared as filed, waited for the rerouting - which didn't come. I ended
up flying just next to Cape Canaveral with the Shuttle still parked on the
runway... beautiful sight!!

My understanding is, if you file "direct", you'll most likely get a reroute.
Any other experiences out there?

Happy flying,
Patrick

Old January 6th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

john smith wrote:
If you are planning on flying down the east coast, from the GA-FL border
to Vero Beach, expect a reroute around JAX airspace to the west (I call
it the Central Florida Tour) unless you can fly above 12,000.

You can't get V-437 any more? I used to run down the coast that way before I
cut over to the Bahamas from Vero Beach.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old January 6th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

On 1/5/2007 10:30:51 PM, "Kobra" wrote:

I flew to Miami from NJ and used V1 almost all the way to Jacksonville.

Thanks for your input. I'd imagine that would be a very scenic flight.

However, Jacksonville is in northeast Florida and my question really
pertained to flying IFR deeper into Florida. If you'll notice on the charts,
both north and south of Orlando you will see many restricted and prohibited
airspaces. The most direct route from Jacksonville to Miami is peppered with
light GA IFR-unfriendly airspace.

--
Peter
Old January 6th 07, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jay Beckman

"Peter R." wrote in message
On 1/5/2007 10:30:51 PM, "Kobra" wrote:

I flew to Miami from NJ and used V1 almost all the way to Jacksonville.

Thanks for your input. I'd imagine that would be a very scenic flight.

However, Jacksonville is in northeast Florida and my question really
pertained to flying IFR deeper into Florida. If you'll notice on the
charts,
both north and south of Orlando you will see many restricted and
prohibited
airspaces. The most direct route from Jacksonville to Miami is peppered
with
light GA IFR-unfriendly airspace.

--
Peter

What are the floors and/or ceilings for said airspaces?

We've got our fair share of red/blue boxes out here in AZ but most don't
come low enough to be a hassle (I do *not* have the ability to fly above
12k...)

;O)

Jay B

Old January 6th 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Rich

I've filed direct through Florida, and gotten it.

I have run into problems when I've tried changing routing in flight.
ATC accommodated me, but it was apparent that they were handling a lot
of traffic and the re-route used up a lot of their scarce time. Gave me
a lot of airways and waypoints. I'd recommend filing the way you want
to go.

Lots of airplanes crammed into a small space.

Rich

Old January 6th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim[_11_]

I flew down to Fort Lauderdale from WI in September. I weaved through most
of the SUA by useing Cross City as my jumping off (into?) point. It worked
very well. I realize KCTY is on the west side of FL, but it may be an
option for you.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N...231Z/KCTY/KFXE

Jim