A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

When to get a parachute?

Old January 15th 18, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster
external usenet poster

Default When to get a parachute?

I will be starting glider flying lessons this year once the weather warms up sufficiently, and am wondering at what point I should consider getting a parachute. I also plan to get my own glider, hopefully sooner than later, but will obviously need to be a certified glider pilot before that happens. I'm a fairly tall guy, so when shopping for a glider, I expect I will need to "try a few on". I plan to fly my own ship with a parachute, so that will be important to wear one when I sit in the cockpit. So the question comes up if and when I will need my own parachute. Maybe I'm jumping the gun here with this question? Thanks.
Old January 15th 18, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

The club I am in has six parachutes so there’s always one available.. I just bought a 1/2 share in a glider and it came with a parachute. So yeah you would probably be jumping the gun to buy a parachute.
Old January 15th 18, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Only one of my seven gliders (the first) came with a parachute, but you
could certainly ask the seller to let you try sitting in the glider of
choice wearing his parachute if it's not included in the deal.Â* BTW, you
don't need to be a certificated pilot to own an aircraft but it /would/
seem silly to buy one without a license.Â* It might be difficult to find
a CFIG who would sign you off to solo in something he's not flown with
you in.

On 1/14/2018 9:52 PM, Charles Longley wrote:
The club I am in has six parachutes so there’s always one available. I just bought a 1/2 share in a glider and it came with a parachute. So yeah you would probably be jumping the gun to buy a parachute.

--
Dan, 5J

Old January 15th 18, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I agree; you can put off that decision. I'm a tall pilot, too, and each glider is different. If the chute is critical to helping you fit into the cockpit comfortably, the critical factor could be thickness at the top of the pack, thickness at the bottom of the pack, how flexible the pack is, etc. Or it may not be critical at all. Plenty of time to figure out what you need later.

Chip Bearden
Old January 15th 18, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 1:29:23 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I agree; you can put off that decision. I'm a tall pilot, too, and each glider is different. If the chute is critical to helping you fit into the cockpit comfortably, the critical factor could be thickness at the top of the pack, thickness at the bottom of the pack, how flexible the pack is, etc. Or it may not be critical at all. Plenty of time to figure out what you need later.

Chip Bearden

Agree. Once you get a glider, ask to borrow a chute from others at the airport to see if you and it 'get along'. I've loaned mine for others to try for a flight - you will quickly find that some you don't like.
Old January 15th 18, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou
external usenet poster

I have to respectfully disagree with Dan. I purchased my PW-5 and my parachute before - yep before - I soloed. (As did one of our CFIGs when he started soaring.)

I had a lot of encouragement from many club members. Once you purchase your own glider, you are committed to complete your licence

It was one of the best decisions I ever made. After 6 solo flights in our club ASK-21, I got signed off to fly the PW-5 solo. (The PW-5 is much easier to fly than the ASK-21). After that, I was able to complete the required flights to take the check rides for my PPG quickly. No waiting in line for club ships.

If the right opportunity comes along, and you are willing to make the commitment, I'd go for it!

Lou

Old January 15th 18, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Eh.....sorta disagree, sorta depends on your physical stuff and the glider.
I'm 5' 10", slim build (usually have to add nose ballast in some glass I fly....sorry owner.....;-)).
Some pilots can use a "back pack", some need a "chair pack", sorta depends on the glider and the pilot.
Thankfully for me, I fit almost anything with my normal chute, but not the same for others (Chip is about my build, but a bit taller.....).
Yes, I have done 7hr flights in glass, can't imagine more than 3 in a 1-26..,.... skinny butt, more upright......go get'm Ron S.

YMMV.......
Old January 16th 18, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

To those that assume that there is "only" one packing method for a backpack type parachute, I recommend contacting the manufacturer and talk to your rigger. Many backpack 'chutes can be packed in a number of ways that do not inhibit normal deployment, but accommodate different body shapes. Specifically, packing methods may allow for more or less shoulder width, shorter or longer legs with wide shoulders, additional lumbar support and so on. Needless to say, these alternate packing procedures should be done by a very experienced parachute rigger with authorized guidance from the manufacturer of your specific parachute and container.

Many riggers and "packers" are veering away from repacking the typical "round" canopies, simply because of the demand. Once the FAA went from a 120 day pack cycle to the current 180 day period, a lot of riggers just decided the limited number wasn't worth the effort. Or they upped their prices 30%to make up for the shortfall in income.

Old January 16th 18, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 11:34:16 PM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
So the question comes up if and when I will need my own parachute.

The consensus in the USA seems to be that student pilots and flight instructors don't need to wear parachutes. That said, parachutes are standard equipment for all glider training flights in much of the world.

I don't think anyone will stop you from wearing your own parachute on a training flight, I've seen people do it in the USA. But if you're in the front seat of a tandem glider, and your instructor is not wearing a parachute, you'll want to think twice about bailing out. If you bail out, and the instructor stays in the backseat, the weight and balance will probably go aft out of limits, and a damaged glider that might have been somewhat controllable, will become less controllable.

People have successfully land gliders that were damaged by midair collisions, or in other scenarios choosen to land gliders when a bailout was an available option.

Bruno Vassel retells the story of a parachute wearing pilot that landed after the stick broke off in his hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF0tTzvU8IM&t=1s

Old January 17th 18, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I see your point there son of flubber, but no offense, if I am in the front seat of a two place glider and someguy midairs us and takes off a wing or elevator and I have a chute and altitude, I am outta there and the guy in the back seat is on his own! Lol