Tow Plane Upsets......

Old April 26th 17, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default Tow Plane Upsets......

Well yes, we really don't want to go to extreme attitudes, nor do would
anybody half sane contemplate practicing getting high on the towplane until

approaching release altitude.

The idea is to build the muscle memory of releasing well before the
towpilot
has gotten to maximum up elevator.

We do want to give the towpilot adequate margin.

Old April 26th 17, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 10:30:05 AM UTC-7, George Haeh wrote:
Well yes, we really don't want to go to extreme attitudes...

I definitely agree that we should teach recognition and remediation.

But I also think that the main point here is that a true kiting incident is a divergent condition such that, once established, can easily escalate at a rate beyond human control. So we have to be careful about how we teach it.

--Bob K.
Old April 26th 17, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May[_2_]

At 17:49 26 April 2017, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 10:30:05 AM UTC-7, George Haeh wrote:
Well yes, we really don't want to go to extreme attitudes...

I definitely agree that we should teach recognition and remediation.

But I also think that the main point here is that a true kiting incident

is
a divergent condition such that, once established, can easily escalate at

rate beyond human control. So we have to be careful about how we teach

it.

--Bob K.

I'm not a power/ tow pilot so this could be rubbish,but
Could an alarm be fitted at 90%back stick just to remind tug pilots just
how
much up elevator they are using to prevent gradually drifting into a
potential
dangerous situation from which there will be no escape.

Old April 26th 17, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 8:50:01 PM UTC+3, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 10:30:05 AM UTC-7, George Haeh wrote:
Well yes, we really don't want to go to extreme attitudes...

I definitely agree that we should teach recognition and remediation.

But I also think that the main point here is that a true kiting incident is a divergent condition such that, once established, can easily escalate at a rate beyond human control. So we have to be careful about how we teach it.

I would like to know what happens if you have a 1000+ ft aerotow rope and cause the glider to "winch launch" behind the tug.

I have a hunch that very very bad things start to happen long before there's any significant upward angle on the rope. Such as the tug virtually stopping mid air and stalling/falling.
Old April 26th 17, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 2:45:05 PM UTC-4, Jonathon May wrote:
[...]

I doubt most of us need an alarm to know we're pulling that much.
UH
Old April 27th 17, 07:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Whitehead

Please do not consider training unless using simulation (only). There have been enough deaths and broken kit already. Chris Rollings in an earlier thread gave a detailed account of well constructed trials performed at height. It is not necessary to repeat these, surely. Please note his conclusions.If your glider has an approved mod. for a nose hook ( if it has only a winch hook) then consider having one fitted. Otherwise know that you could kill the tug pilot if for one brief moment you take your eyes off the tug (and respond immediately to the tug slipping below your field of view or to the strange accelerations which go with this in a "kiting" situation. ).
Old April 27th 17, 12:34 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Marotta View Post
On 4/25/2017 5:18 AM, Walt Connelly wrote:

snip

AND that the release handle
MUST be immediately available to the tow pilot, not down on the floor or
where one must bend and reach and feel for it and it must provide enough
mechanical advantage to accomplish the job.

/snip

It's been over a year but, IIRC, the release levers on the three tugs at
Sundance Aviation (Moriarty) are hinged at the floor with an
approximately 3-foot lever at about the same height as the throttle.
Easy to grab without looking and LOTS of mechanical advantage. Not
commenting at this time about the relative merits or each type of release.
Dan,

Were these 3 foot handles the original design approved by the FAA or were they conversions later? I understand that it is not permissible to simply fabricate a longer handle and have it installed.

Walt
Old April 27th 17, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Walt, I can't answer that.

When I started towing at Sundance, both the CallAir and the Pawnee had
long handles. When the Ag Wagon came, it did, too. As I said, it's
been over a year since I looked into any of those cockpits, so I may not
be remembering correctly. I'll try to remember to take a look next time
I go to the airport.

Dan

--
Dan, 5J

Slow Tows and Upsets 7C Soaring 0 March 4th 14 11:41 PM
F-35: Second test plane powers up, but first plane stays grounded Mike[_7_] Naval Aviation 1 October 29th 07 09:40 PM
the plane! the plane! protect it without photons. Spike Home Built 0 December 17th 05 03:28 AM
Plane down - NASCAR team plane crashes... Chuck Piloting 10 October 28th 04 12:38 AM
Kit plane boom with Sport Plane rules Dave Home Built 1 February 4th 04 02:37 PM