ventus rigging visual clues

Old April 20th 17, 07:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ventus rigging visual clues

I'd appreciate hearing advice on the best visual clues for getting the wings on a Ventus 2c aligned when rigging.
Old April 20th 17, 11:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Philpott[_2_]

I have a Ventus cT which is pretty similar for rigging. I previously had
a Duo which uses the same Schempp-Hirth system.

Firstly, before rigging ensure the water ballast dump lever is set to
shut. then unlock your airbrakes. I usually rig the left wing first. The
most important thing then, and before rigging the right wing is to
ensure that the left wing is properly in position, i.e the gap between
the wing and fuselage is small and uniform and most importantly, the
fuselage height should be set so when you look at the right side of the
fuselage, the left wing stub is exactly in the middle of the hole. If you
don't get this right, any S-H glider is a pig to rig. If you set the height

correctly, the whole aircraft goes together very easily.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Old April 20th 17, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

I'd appreciate hearing advice on the best visual clues for getting the wings on a Ventus 2c aligned when rigging.

Not sure that the Ventus is exactly the same as the Nimbus3, but I suspect they're similar and will chime in with a simple alignment trick.

Next time you have the ship rigged, make a pair of alignment marks between the end of the left panel spar butt and the fuselage. This will be on the front side of the spar where it sits near the right hand side of the fuselage opening.

I always install the left panel first and the purpose of the marks is to make sure the panel is rotated correctly relative to the fuselage. This really easy to check during assembly and saves lots of grief.

ymmv,
Craig
Old April 21st 17, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'd appreciate hearing advice on the best visual clues for getting the wings on a Ventus 2c aligned when rigging.

Mine is a Ventus C. Try rigging it with the RIGHT wing going in first since that spar is behind the left spar. Then, when you insert the left wing, you can look in the fuselage and SEE the alignment of the left wing spigot with the hole in the right wing where it needs to end up. Its totally easy to see if you need to go fore or aft or up or down. It also helps to tape the top of the right wing before inserting the left to reduce the tendency to push the right wing out a bit when inserting the left.

Bob
BV
Old April 21st 17, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Thursday, 20 April 2017 17:36:59 UTC-6, wrote:
I'd appreciate hearing advice on the best visual clues for getting the wings on a Ventus 2c aligned when rigging.

Mine is a Ventus C. Try rigging it with the RIGHT wing going in first since that spar is behind the left spar. Then, when you insert the left wing, you can look in the fuselage and SEE the alignment of the left wing spigot with the hole in the right wing where it needs to end up. Its totally easy to see if you need to go fore or aft or up or down. It also helps to tape the top of the right wing before inserting the left to reduce the tendency to push the right wing out a bit when inserting the left.

Bob
BV

I have a V2 CX. Agree with Bob, I insert right wing first. Also regarding the airbrakes, yes make sure they are unlocked, in fact SH now drills a hole in airbrake rod and a pin, actually a second threaded pin for the attaching the tip is inserted in this hole to keep them unlock during (dis)assembly. On mine I know the wing is aligned correctly when the airbrake (spoiler) is pushed up about an 1/8 of an inch.
Old April 21st 17, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Here's how I position my ArcusM wing:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sche...w/gWQz_pyeDgAJ
With my V2C I didn't find the above necessary, but perhaps it will work for you...
Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave
Old April 21st 17, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Philpott[_2_]

I have tried rigging the right wing first on my Ventus cT but in rigging
the left wing first, I have the benefit that I can partially insert the
main
pin. This helps prevent the left wing being pushed back out if the
rigging is not quite aligned when I rig the right wing.

As everybody else has said, it is vital that the wing stubs are properly
aligned. If you don't do this, there is going to be a helluva lit of
grunting and cursing. :-)

Mike

Old April 21st 17, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

I'll give you one extra tip too. They are manufactured in Germany in a generally cool climate. My old Discus 2 and now my Ventus 2bx are pigs to rig in the Arizona heat, however careful the alignment - clearly something expands. They always rig easier in the cool mornings.

Mike

Old April 22nd 17, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Underhill

Not a V2, but I rig my 1981 Ventus b IAW the manual. Dump valve closed, flap handle in S, and horizontal stabilizer rigging pin inserted into the hole in the airbrake tube. Left wing first and main pin part-way in to hold in place. When inserting the right wing I find the key is to sight the relationship between the pin on the left spar and the bearing that it goes into on the right wing root. I look towards the right wing root from the fuselage at an angle. There's not much room, but it is possible to see how close the alignment is. If it's not close it'll never go together.
Old April 22nd 17, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan Walker

The other thing that helps a lot is:
AFTER putting the Left wing in place
WITH the water dump valve closed
WITH the main rigging pin partially inserted
AND the airbrakes unlocked
WITH the left wing set at a hight such the the wing spigot is vertically
central within right hand fuselage opening IS.....

Put wing tape on the left hand upper surface fuselage/wing joint so that
when inserting the right hand wing it cant get pushed out.

This last step make rigging so much easier.