Diesel aircraft engines and are the light jets pushing out the twins?

Old September 26th 04, 10:00 PM
Fritz

Roy Smith wrote:

But, I suppose the Jet-A folks have
figured out the right additives to solve that problem.

Oil-fuel heat exchange?

--
Fritz
Old September 26th 04, 10:00 PM
Fritz

I think that you can look at the market to see where the crossover
occurs.
THere are currently no production piston aircraft engines over 450hp

and
there are no aircraft turbines under 400hp.

There's lots of ground turbines under 400hp so we know there's a market
there; [...]

A ground turbine runs at almost constant speed, near its design point,
so even at small dimension can still be fuel efficient. Part load fuel
consumption of a gas turbine is a bit too high, particularly for GA
aircraft (considering their flight pprofile).

--
Fritz
Old October 7th 04, 03:14 AM
Ted Azito

AFAIK, they say just the opposite (to me, at least): The Lyc version would be
for the US market. It's also a matter of using the DA42 in a training
environment, where pilots still need to be trained for three levers, not the
single one the Thielert has.

In a sane world the rule would be "single pilot IFR=single lever power control".