Why not use the F-22 to replace the F/A-18 and F-14?

Old March 4th 04, 02:10 AM
Frijoles

Which airfield? Sorry, I don't have the reference here at home. Its the
same place where the Army POWs were transferred to the KC-130 on TV.

"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
.. .
Frijoles wrote:

snip

On the warfighting side, if fighting an air war was simply a matter of
stacking jets somewhere, we could cover the entire battlespace with B-1s

or
B-2s. (A trivia question -- how many CV sorties does it take to cover

the
same number of DMPIs that ONE B-1 with a full load of SDBs can cover?)

And
if tanking isn't an "issue," what's up with all the bragging about what

great tanking capability the Navy's brand new STRIKE aircraft

provides...?

Especially since they had to send four more F-18Es to the theater during

the
war, to boost the navy's own tanker assets (and of course, taking away

airbridge
tanker assets from other jobs, to get them there).

45% of Marine CAS sorties during OIF were flown by Harriers -- that's

hardly
a trivial number, particularly if you're on the ground getting shot at,

or
facing the prospect of having to deal with massed armor and indirect

fires.
IIRC, about 1500 strike sorties were flown off L-class ships,

principally
Bataan and BHR which each operated 20-25 jets. A couple hundred were

flown
from a "recovered" airfield within 10 minutes of Baghdad.

snip

Would you happen to know which airfield? I've found one source that says

it was
"60nm south" of Baghdad, but no other details. Looking at a map,

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/middl...print_2003.jpg

Shayka Mazhar and Al Iskandariyah New appear to be too close to the city,

Salman
Pak East is too close and too far east (although the Marines did go by

there
IIRR). An Najaf New is due south of Baghdad and about the right distance,

but
AFAIK the marines weren't near there in any strength, having crossed the
Euphrates at Nasiriya before heading up between the rivers towards

Baghdad. The
Shaykh Hantush Highway Strip seems to be the closest match for distance

and
direction, but the marines also went through al Kut, which puts An

Numaniyah (I
know they took that) or Al Jarrah in the picture (although they're more SE

than
S), and possibly the fields south and/or east of Al Kut, altough they're a

bit
far and definitely southeast.

Guy

Old March 4th 04, 05:43 AM
Guy Alcala

Frijoles wrote:

Which airfield? Sorry, I don't have the reference here at home. Its the
same place where the Army POWs were transferred to the KC-130 on TV.

Thanks. I think that was Tallil down near Nasiriyah, which seems a bit far from
Baghdad (a lot more than 60 nm), but I know there was a big hospital set up there,
as well as a FOB for A-10s.

Guy

Old March 4th 04, 11:34 AM
running with scissors

Pooh Bear wrote in message ...
running with scissors wrote:

Pooh Bear wrote in message ...

Actually - you succeeded in diverting my attention from what I consider to be one of the more
intruiging aspects of this crash - notably a suggested compressor stall.

Graham

nope no comressor stall.

according to tarver, airbus's crash at the end of the runway because
its unknown and unmapped.

Scary concept ! Is it in the annals ?

Graham

its utter ********. like any of tarvers theories.
Old March 6th 04, 10:21 PM
Frijoles

You're correct that the A-10 FOB was "near Nasiryah" -- but that was well
south of the location that the Marine Corps used. The Marine Corps wanted
something further north to support possible operations to the north (and
well north) of Baghdad.

"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
.. .

Old March 7th 04, 04:21 AM
Guy Alcala

Frijoles wrote:

You're correct that the A-10 FOB was "near Nasiryah" -- but that was well
south of the location that the Marine Corps used.

That's what I thought. I finally found a news story that ID'ed the airfield
they were flown to by CH-46 as Numaniyah.

The Marine Corps wanted
something further north to support possible operations to the north (and
well north) of Baghdad.

Just found a news story that confirmed use of Numaniyah as a Harrier FARP:

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...F?opendocument

Guy

Old March 7th 04, 10:28 AM
Vivek Thomas

The 747 had its cockpit placed above the main cabin so they could open
the nose for loading in the cargo variant, i.e., it was designed from
the beginning to carry cargo.

That feature is where the 747 shows it's origins. The design the 747 was
derived from was the losing contender in the C-X (correct me if that
designation is incorrect) competition. That competition was won by the
Lockheed design --- the C-5 Galaxy. Boeing took their C-X design and reworked
it as a civilian passenger aircraft. Who knows, maybe if Boeing had won the
competition, we'd see the Lockheed L-1012 Galaxy as the king of civilian
widebodys?

In thrust we trust!

"C-175 SoCal Beware" Original Poster Replies Bill Berle Aviation Marketplace 8 July 8th 04 07:01 AM
More LED's Veeduber Home Built 19 June 9th 04 10:07 PM
Replace fabric with glass Ernest Christley Home Built 38 April 17th 04 11:37 AM
RAN to get new LSD class vessel to replace 5 logistic vessels ... Aerophotos Military Aviation 10 November 4th 03 12:49 AM
Air Force to replace enlisted historians with civilians Otis Willie Military Aviation 1 October 22nd 03 09:41 AM