Epirb or nt

Old July 12th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbusgb

Default Epirb or nt

Do you carry an epirb when flying x-country or not?

This might influence your decision
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/5167612.stm

Old July 12th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

I fly out of Minden, NV in both glider and Husky. Like other western states,
Nevada has far more desolate area than settled. During a search for a downed
Super Cub last year, it took over 3 weeks to locate the wreck in a canyon
(father and daughter deceased). Interestingly, another aircraft wreck from
1964 was also found during the search!

At around $500, an ARC PLB w/built in GPS is cheap insurance. Others may
disagree - - but *I* think I'm worth it (g).
--
bumper ZZ (reverse all after @)
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

oups.com...

Old July 12th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have carried a PLB the past 3 seasons at Bitterwasser (Africa) - it
must be manually
operated by pilot or passenger - I hope an "impact activated" one will
be produced soon.
If anyone knows of an "impact operated" PLB please post it on RAS.

Old July 14th 06, 08:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Lindsay

In article .com,
nimbusgb writes
Do you carry an epirb when flying x-country or not?

This might influence your decision
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/5167612.stm

Never mind about ELT,s didn't this chap have a GPS and a radio?
I cant imagine why he didn't send a Mayday on 121.5 giving his position.

Actually, I think I can. I had a similar incident a year or two ago
about 30 miles from when this happened, fortunately without damage or
injury.

I made contact with some airborne gliders, saying I'd no idea where I
was. One of the pilots asked me for my GPS reading. Of course, why
didn't I think of that? The reason was I was still twitching thinking I
was going to end up in hospital (or worse).

A really bad fright can screw up your cognitive abilities and this guy
must have been in pain from his broken ankle, so no wonder he didn't
think of doing that.
--
Mike Lindsay
Old July 14th 06, 09:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Dickson

His radio obviously wasn't working after the crash.
Did you see the state the glider was in?