Flarm Net

Old November 2nd 16, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Flarm Net

Can anyone tell me if Flarm Net information is displayed on a Power
Flarm portable directly? Reading the PF Portable manual implies that
the ID information is displayed only on external devices, i.e.,
Butterfly, Flarm View, etc. I can't find any information that directly
states that the PF portable will display the information.
--
Dan, 5J
Old November 2nd 16, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

Yes, I believe it is. It's been 3 years since I have used mine. It I do believe tail numbers can be programmed manually or automated with the addition of the FlarmNet file.
Old November 2nd 16, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Maybe I have answered my own question: According to the Flarm Net
website the PowerFlarm is not listed as a supported device, but XCSoar
is listed. My Streak/XCSoar unit is interfaced with the PF portable and
my CNvXC vario. The Flarm logo is now displayed at the bottom of my
moving map so I suppose that if I ever come within range of another
Flarm equipped aircraft, I'll see it on my moving map.

Hey Renny, next time we're both at the airport, let's see if I can see
you on my display across the taxiway.

Old November 2nd 16, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Wednesday, 2 November 2016 18:02:15 UTC+2, Dan Marotta wrote:
Hey Renny, next time we're both at the airport, let's see if I can see
you on my display across the taxiway.

From my limited experience of FLARM that won't work because FLARM filters out stationary targets.
You can however have Renny flying nearby and spot it from your unit on the ground.

Old November 2nd 16, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 10:59:17 AM UTC-7, Surge wrote:
On Wednesday, 2 November 2016 18:02:15 UTC+2, Dan Marotta wrote:
Hey Renny, next time we're both at the airport, let's see if I can see
you on my display across the taxiway.

From my limited experience of FLARM that won't work because FLARM filters out stationary targets.
You can however have Renny flying nearby and spot it from your unit on the ground.

My experience is that you will see PowerFlarm targets on your display on the ground even if not moving, but you will not get Powerflarm collision warnings.
In a contest grid you will see gliders none of which are moving.

I also tested this with a close 3' drive by Powerflarm in auto and PowerFlarm in glider in parking place. Again Display showed target but no collision warning.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 2nd 16, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

The portable does not display contest IDs from a Flarmnet file. Would be nice if it did.

Morgan
Old November 3rd 16, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

The XCSoar manual says that XCSoar will display targets and their IDs.
I've just downloaded the file for my XCSoar device and will install it
next time I go to the airport. I'll have to wait for the weekend to
find another user to see if it works.

I did finally get a Flarm alert yesterday as well as a PCAS alert from
the same aircraft. That really clutters the screen. The other guy had
the same experience - Flarm and PCAS from me. We're trying to figure
out how to prevent that. Anybody got any information on that?

Dan

Old November 6th 16, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Morgan wrote on 11/2/2016 3:07 PM:
The portable does not display contest IDs from a Flarmnet file. Would be nice if it did.

My Portable does, and I can select a target, click the button, and see
the info. The manual tells you how to do it: page 38 on the ver. 3.41
manual.

email me)

Old November 6th 16, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Eric,

I just reviewed the manual/page you referenced and it looks to me like
the FlarmNet info is presented on the Butterfly display rather than the
PowerFlarm Portable display. Can you confirm one more time that you see
FlarmNet info, e.g., call sign on the Portable's built-in display or is
it on a connected display?

Thanks,
Dan

Old November 6th 16, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

I suspect Eric refers to Flarm ID, not contest ID. Or is referring to external display. Otherwise I am also puzzled how he manage to get flarmnet data into a powerflarm portable.

Ramy