sunlight readable iphone

Old September 21st 17, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

Default sunlight readable iphone

Hmmm. I once owned a Del Streak running XCSoar.I read the overwhelming reviews on it but frankly it was a disappointment at least to me,as it was just ok.
I went back to my old Vertica/Aviar running WinPilot after that for a couple of years.
The Vertica "sort of worked"with WinPilot, IMO Jerry was close to having a great system combination but than he shortly abandoned this Windows based program in favor of his IOS. (And yes, so did Vertica2 disappeared, although there is some noise that the Vertica3 is coming)
I agree, WinPilot was a great system, far better than it's sort of poorly executed carbon copy; SYM.
Since than the only sensible system out there is XCSoar/Top Hat.
Yes, it would also be nice to have a simulator of Iglide to compare but there isn't one.
It leaves still a desirable modern platform for any of the above except for the Oudie2 which I own one and it's for sale.
Just my nickels worth.
Old September 21st 17, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 12:34:03 PM UTC-7, 6PK wrote:
[...]

If Winpilot (the original on an Avier) was still in the running I would put it second behind iGlide. It quit working with the Butterfly (at a Butterfly firmware update) and Jerry wouldn't fix it, though the fix was trivial. Even though years old now, Winpilot is still way ahead of SYM. Winpilot's thermal assistant is still the best in the industry.
Old September 21st 17, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

Is Iglide only compatible to the Butterfly vario? ( if yes, it's an unfortunate negative).
Old September 21st 17, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

For me, as SYM improved over the years it overtook Winpilot even before Jerry stopped developing WP for Windows mobile.

I have always preferred it to XC Soar. XCS is amazing value, but I am mystified that some of you prefer the interface to SYM. Much less flexible display with data only in fixed position navboxes, same navbox structure on all map pages, more keystrokes to enter tasks. What is better?

But all these systems are superb, what matters most is to be very familiar with whichever you use.

PS I admit I don't use the SYM thermal assistant so I cannot compare it to others. I use the LX one, and also have the LX zoomed in showing my trail in vario colours.
Old September 21st 17, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WinPilot

We are not aware of any crashing bugs for WinPilot for iOS in the past couple of releases.
We started writing support for the LxNav’s S100 flight computer using a wireless Bluetooth connection, and the current WinPilot build on the AppStore already has flight log download and McCready setting transfer built in. It looks like the S100 transmits vario data pretty fast, so we will try to port our Widows CE ClimbMaximizer to the iOS as well.
We aren’t aware of Butterfly vario problem. Users of older flight computers (like CAI 302) can use Butterfly’s WiFi stick to connect to WP.
Winpilot for iOS is free to download and free to test in GPS mode for 30 days, after that the subscription is $4.95/month. For more info visit our Facebook page.
Hopefully this info is helpful to someone,
Jerry / Winpilot.com
Old September 21st 17, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

While the locations of the nav boxes are the same between pages, you can
configure the nav boxes to display different data on each page. You can
also configure XCSoar to automatically switch between climb, cruise, and
final glide pages.Â* Maybe more that I'm unaware of.

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 21st 17, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

XCS is amazing value, but I am mystified that some of you prefer the interface to SYM. Much less flexible display with data only in fixed position navboxes, same navbox structure on all map pages, more keystrokes to enter tasks. What is better?

I've never used XCS but TopHat allows me to set up different pages with different nav boxes. Don't think I can change the basic number and position for a page but I can display different data. TopHat isn't perfect--I've submitted a list of bug fixes and wish list items--but I've been using it for the season with no backup (I left GNII in the cockpit last year). Some years ago I purchased a used HP handheld and set up SYM to basically emulate GNII plus added data. Granted, I never flew with it. But I was put off by the necessity to "learn" so much before it was usable. TopHat requires some of that, too, but then so does (to an even greater degree) my new ClearNav vario. Nothing is as intuitive as my old Cambridge LNAV and GNII: hop into the cockpit every spring after a 6 month layoff and back in business in a few minutes.

But all these systems are superb, what matters most is to be very familiar with whichever you use.

Yes, yes, yes! Hopefully that familiarity is easily achieved and persists indefinitely. See my comments above.

Chip Bearden

Old September 22nd 17, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 1:06:53 PM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
[snip]
Even though years old now, Winpilot is still way ahead of SYM.

Wow you do comedy as well. I'll respond in person when we are both holding beers. :-)
Old September 22nd 17, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 2:47:23 PM UTC-7, WinPilot wrote:
We are not aware of any crashing bugs for WinPilot for iOS in the past couple of releases.
We started writing support for the LxNav’s S100 flight computer using a wireless Bluetooth connection, and the current WinPilot build on the AppStore already has flight log download and McCready setting transfer built in. It looks like the S100 transmits vario data pretty fast, so we will try to port our Widows CE ClimbMaximizer to the iOS as well.
We aren’t aware of Butterfly vario problem. Users of older flight computers (like CAI 302) can use Butterfly’s WiFi stick to connect to WP.
Winpilot for iOS is free to download and free to test in GPS mode for 30 days, after that the subscription is $4.95/month. For more info visit our Facebook page.
Hopefully this info is helpful to someone,
Jerry / Winpilot.com

I'll have to give WinPilot iOS another try. I haven't looked at it this season and most of last so hopefully it is more finished. The problem with the Butterfly was (is) on the old Winpilot Avier port, not on the iOS version. Butterfly changed the format of their LX serial stream slightly, which caused Winpilot to switch to CAI mode, then fail immediately. If you port the WinCE climb maximizer (still the best in the business) to iOS, will it be able to use Butterfly data via the wifi connection?

I'd also like an alternative source of info beyond Facebook. Some of us don't participate there, and without an account you can't see most things.
Old September 22nd 17, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 2:09:39 PM UTC-7, 6PK wrote:
Is Iglide only compatible to the Butterfly vario? ( if yes, it's an unfortunate negative).

iGlide can be connected to anything producing an LX style data stream using their WiFi connection interface.