We Are All Spaniards

Old March 27th 04, 08:49 AM
S Green

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article , Dylan Smith
wrote:

Have you watched any TV in the UK? 'nuff said.

Even worse, have you watched TV in the US? :-)

less and less.

Cannot get used to commercials every 5 minutes

Old March 27th 04, 12:39 PM
Dan Luke

"Rosspilot" wrote:
That's why I sprang for the solid state Garmin GTX-327.
Even LESS moving parts.

Maybe it'll last a few years. So far it's been awesome.

I love mine.

Ditto. What a great piece of gear.

Garmin should pay me a commission. After seeing mine in action, the
flying club's maintenance officer replaced three B/K units in the club's
Cessnas with 327s.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old March 27th 04, 12:43 PM
Dan Luke

"Paul Sengupta" wrote:

We both noticed one glaring omission.

:-)

Haw-haw!

That cracked me up, Paul, thanks.

Old March 27th 04, 12:57 PM
Dan Luke

"Wdtabor" wrote:
we'll ...install a government there
that will keep its fanatics in line.

Had that already in Iran. Remember how well that worked?

The idea that we can barge around the world installing puppet
governments by force and thereby create a secure situation for ourselves
is lunacy.

Old March 27th 04, 01:48 PM
Jay Honeck

The idea that we can barge around the world installing puppet
governments by force and thereby create a secure situation for ourselves
is lunacy.

Well, we've seen what happens when the Islamo-fascists are allowed to set up
a government without any outside interference. Can you say "Taliban?"

Their radical religious beliefs dictate a society that is diametrically
opposed to freedom and democracy. Worse, they feel it is their duty to
assimilate -- or destroy -- non-believers.

Can you say "The Borg?"

Personally, I'd just as soon hunker down behind our oceans, and tell them
all to get screwed -- but I don't think that works anymore. I just don't
see a viable alternative to Don's scenario, Dan.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 27th 04, 02:01 PM
Bob Noel

In article yCf9c.106480$_w.1340711@attbi_s53, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Personally, I'd just as soon hunker down behind our oceans, and tell them
all to get screwed -- but I don't think that works anymore. I just don't
see a viable alternative to Don's scenario, Dan.

we have to continue the search for a viable approach. Experience
has shown that installing puppet governments isn't good, experience
has shown that trying to buy goodwill or safety doesn't work
(e.g., North Korea), and our experience with letting dangers
develop in other nations unchecked leads to attacks within the US.
But we can't give up. We must find solutions.

--
Bob Noel
Old March 27th 04, 02:04 PM
Jay Honeck

we have to continue the search for a viable approach. Experience
has shown that installing puppet governments isn't good, experience
has shown that trying to buy goodwill or safety doesn't work
(e.g., North Korea), and our experience with letting dangers
develop in other nations unchecked leads to attacks within the US.
But we can't give up. We must find solutions.

Well, we established "puppet governments" in Germany and Japan -- and *they*
seem to be doing okay.

I think the trick is to plant the seeds of freedom, and then carefully,
slowly get the hell out of the way.

People like having the vote, and the power to change things. Democracy can
be -- and should be -- contagious.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 27th 04, 02:13 PM
Doug Carter

Paul Sengupta wrote:
In India, it's quite easy for a normal middle class family to employ:
1) A driver
2) Someone to look after the kids
3) A maid to cook and clean.

This would be pretty unthinkable for someone in the US. Food and
restaurants are much cheaper, but luxury goods are on a par.

Seems to imply that either the U.S. middle class elects to
spend more of their
income on material goods (leaving less for servents) or
India has cheaper
servents (lower underclass).
Old March 27th 04, 02:16 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"Wdtabor" wrote:
we'll ...install a government there
that will keep its fanatics in line.

Had that already in Iran. Remember how well that worked?

The idea that we can barge around the world installing puppet
governments by force and thereby create a secure situation for ourselves
is lunacy.

Yeah!! Look at how our puppet governments in S. Korea, Japan and Germany
turned on us.

Old March 27th 04, 02:18 PM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
I just don't see a viable alternative to Don's scenario, Dan.

So because we don't perceive a simple answer, we should pursue a policy
that history has already proven to be a failure? Have we forgotten the
Soviet experience in Afghanistan? Don's simplistic scenario belongs in
a Tom Clancy novel; it's fantasy.