Bush still a pilot?

Old April 25th 04, 02:54 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Paul Tomblin wrote:

Would a pilot in a single person fighter be listed as "crew member"?
That's wierd.

No, that's normal. If the required crew is one person, then the pilot is the only
crew member. This is standard terminology in insurance, aviation, military, and
government (at least).

George Patterson
If you don't tell lies, you never have to remember what you said.
Old April 25th 04, 06:05 AM
C J Campbell

"Chuck" wrote in message
nk.net...

3) Do you know if Bush is still certified?

Instead of arguing about whether Bush is a pilot, you guys could just check
the FAA database.

George Walker Bush received a Commercial certificate for single engine and
multi-engine land airplane with an instrument rating on Dec 8, 1969. His
medical is not current and he has not informed the FAA of his current
address.

Pilot certificates never expire. However, he would need to file a change of
address, get a current medical certificate, and complete a flight review
before he could act as pilot in command of an aircraft.

There have been some stories of him flying a Cessna 172 and badly
mishandling it. However, the stories are told by people who are not pilots
and who have every incentive in the world for exaggerating things more than
a little bit. Even these stories admit that he was able to take off, fly
around, and land without hurting anyone or damaging anything. :-)

Old April 25th 04, 11:28 AM
Cub Driver

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 22:44:30 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

Would a pilot in a single person fighter be listed as "crew member"?

I was told it was Air Force talk for qualified to fly (in any
capacity, perhaps).

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! blog www.vivabush.org
Old April 25th 04, 08:11 PM
Steve Foley

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me
than a frontal lobotomy.
"airbourne56" wrote in message
om...
if none of the above apply,
there's aways Prozac or a prefrontal lobotomy. Anything to calm those
jangled nerves.

Old April 26th 04, 03:19 AM
Rick Durden

Don,

I'm not sure I'd trust Rove to tell me the sun came up in the east.
sigh

Probably covering up for the fact that Enron provided its various
corporate jets for Bush to use during his campaigns for governor and
in the presidential primaries.

But, otherwise, Bush shows as having a commercial, multi and
instrument, but he has never shown much interest in general aviation
flying. He does not have a current medical. Kind of strange that for
a guy who was supposedly a gung-ho pilot, he's never shown any
interest in flying Air Force One, yet the other pilot-president,
Eisenhower, did so.

I'm also curious as to why he has never produced his Form-5s to show
whether he did any flying when he was supposedly with the Alabama
Guard or was just AWOL while his countrymen were getting killed or
getting decorated for heroism in Viet Nam.

All the best,
Rick

ackatyu (Wdtabor) wrote in message ...
With their military
Form 5 (as I recall) and the test results, they went to the FSDO and got a
civilian license. I doubt that GWB went to that trouble.

I recall Karl Rove telling a story about flying in a 172 with Bush some time
after the begiining of their work to together on his campaign for governor of
TX, so he was a civilian pilot at one point.

Unless he had is certificate revoked for some infraction, all he would need to
fly now would be a current Class 3 physical and a BFR.

And some way to evade the Secret Service.

Don

Old April 26th 04, 11:32 AM
Cub Driver

a guy who was supposedly a gung-ho pilot,

Well, as a pilot (gosh, did I ever think I'd get to write that?!) I
have to agree with you. It's hard to imagine right now. But recall
that just a few days ago we had a post from a guy who had given up
flying--just lost interest in it.

Two things could be going on he

One, going from an F-102A to a 172 must be a downer.

Two, Bush has demonstrated that he is very focused. I've known people
who work passionately at something for ten years or so, then suddenly
drop it and take up something entirely different. Been there, done
that, now on to something else! He was playing with politics when he
was in the Guard, and he got an early out to go to business school.

And of course there's always the third possibility: something bad
happened. This was Bush's wild-oats era; he was about 25 when he
stopped flying. Any number of possible scenarios come to mind.

Old April 27th 04, 02:12 PM
Jay Honeck

One, going from an F-102A to a 172 must be a downer.

Yeah, I've often wondered how weird it must feel for an ex-military pilot to
fly a Spam can. Sorta like transitioning from a Kawasaki racing bike back
to a scooter, I would think?

How 'bout it, Big John (or other military folks)? Is flying a lowly
Skyhawk worth bothering with, after flying at Mach 2 with your hair on fire?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 27th 04, 09:55 PM
John Harper

Someone I work with is a marketing analyst. Previously she
was a left-seat in an A320. In another country, but when
she came to the US she got to the point of being checked
out by United before deciding on a career change.

It takes all kinds.

John

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, said:
One, going from an F-102A to a 172 must be a downer.

I took a cab to the airport in Ottawa once with a cab driver who claimed
to be a former F-14 pilot from the Shah of Iran's air force. Those of you
with long memories will remember when Iran had the third largest air force
in the world, and the cream of it was a huge fleet of F-14 Tomcats.
Anyway, I asked him why he isn't flying an airliner instead of a taxi, and
he scoffed that flying a commuter would be like driving a bus. I kept my
thoughts about the relative merits of bus drivers and taxi drivers to
myself.

--
Paul Tomblin
http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/