DG-1000 undercarriage collapses and inadvertent extensions ?

Old April 15th 07, 08:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie[_2_]

Default DG-1000 undercarriage collapses and inadvertent extensions ?

Our DG-1000 at Southern Cross Gliding Club (Camden, NSW, Australia)
has experienced multiple occurences of both inadvertent retraction and
extension of the undercarriage. Typically the undercarrriage has
dropped down whilst in flight, in various modes including straight and
level in smooth air.
We have also had a collapse on outlanding in a moderately field, and
very recently the gear collpased seconds after the glider had been
wheeled into the hangar; luckily no-one was injured but the wings hit
adjacent gliders.
The local DG agent has stated that he has not heard of any other
reports of DG-1000 U/C problems; however recently we heard another
Australian DG-1000 at Beverley in W.A. experienced a collapse (and
it's only a few months old).
It appears the overcentre mechanism requires very careful adjustment
to prevent the extension problem, however no apparent cause for the
retraction problem has been found. We have continually cautioned
pilots to make sure the U/C handle is pushed flush with the fuselage
wall after putting the gear down.
We are wondering if any other clubs or owners have experienced this
problem?

Old April 15th 07, 11:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Geoff Vincent

Hi all,

This, together with the countless incidents involving DG-300 U/C
collapses isn't it about time the manufacturer got the engineering
design right?

Geoff Vincent

Old April 15th 07, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Henk de Waard

wrote:

[...]
problem?- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

I had a gear collapse on a normal landing with a DG1000T march last
year. In July last year I saw a gear collapse on a normal landing with
a DG1000T in Sweden. So it happens more.

Henk

Old April 15th 07, 12:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Henk de Waard

wrote:

[...]

I had a gear collapse upon landing with a DG1000T March last year and
I witnessed a gear collapse with another DG1000T in Sweden last July.
Both were normal landings on grass and there was no damage to the
airplane.

Henk

Old April 15th 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mal[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Maybe I am just lucky NOT I have flown DGI more than 25 times and no
problems.

The DG 1000 just has to be locked in position like the DG 303 and any other
aircraft.

Then check it by pulling back hard against it in the locked position.

A smooth landing can also help a tail first drop on gives the U/C a good
thump.

I always make sure that I have three greens on three separate occasions in
the circuit and apply the same physical check to a glider U/C three times in
my circuit.

Old April 15th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lars Peder Hansen

My club in Denmark (www.bsk-billund.dk) operates DG-1000 serial #7. In the
first couple of years we had several gear collapses, both while landing and
while being towed back to takeoff by a tractor. Clearly, something was
wrong.

We then had the DG sent off to the Danish representative (www.dan-glide.dk),
and some modifications were made. Now it has been working perfetly for a
long time.
You may want to contact Mr. Morten Habekost of Dan-Glide
) I am quite sure that the DG factory was involved in
the solution, and that they are aware of this issue.

Happy Soaring,
Lars Peder

Replace numbers by post1.tele.dk to reply by e-mail

ups.com...

Old April 15th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Philip Plane

Bernie wrote:
Our DG-1000 at Southern Cross Gliding Club (Camden, NSW, Australia)
has experienced multiple occurences of both inadvertent retraction and
extension of the undercarriage. Typically the undercarrriage has
dropped down whilst in flight, in various modes including straight and
level in smooth air.

It appears the overcentre mechanism requires very careful adjustment
to prevent the extension problem, however no apparent cause for the
retraction problem has been found. We have continually cautioned
pilots to make sure the U/C handle is pushed flush with the fuselage
wall after putting the gear down.
We are wondering if any other clubs or owners have experienced this
problem?

There is a mod to increase the overcenter. My DG doesn't have it, mostly
because we haven't had a problem.

I've done 335 takeoffs and landings in my DG1000. On a variety of surfaces,
but mostly on Omarama which has a hard, rough surface. Never had a problem.

I have observed the other pilot failing to lock the gear positively up or
down a number of times though. I always give the gear a personal check after
the front seater has lowered it.

There was the time an airline pilot was adjusting the trim while the
glider was on the grid and pulled the wrong lever. The airline pilot
wasn't damaged. Now I know that you can retract the gear on the ground.

--
Philip Plane _____

---------------( )---------------
Glider pilots have no visible means of support
Old April 18th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Copeland

Our club in the UK has two DG1000s with the two wheel
tail dragger configuration. We have had numerous undercarriage
collapses on landing, but as far as I know no unwanted
extentions in flight.

The problem seems to be that a great deal of force
is required to get the gear over-centre and that the
lever in the front cockpit has a very long throw. People
with short arms, or who are not very strong have a
real problem getting the wheel to lock down. I personally
find the U/C reasonably OK to operate from the rear
cockpit, but very difficult from the front. And yes
I have had the U/C retract on landing, which was very
embarassing.

The whole thing seems to be very poor from an ergonomic
point of view.

Derek Copeland

Old April 18th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeremy Zawodny

Derek Copeland wrote:
Our club in the UK has two DG1000s with the two wheel
tail dragger configuration. We have had numerous undercarriage
collapses on landing, but as far as I know no unwanted
extentions in flight.

Our club has #23 and has put *a lot* of hours and landings on it in the
last few years. No retract problems so far on landing. We have the 3
wheel variety (nose, main, and tail) but I'm not sure if that makes much
difference.

Jeremy
Old April 18th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stefan

Jeremy Zawodny schrieb:
Derek Copeland wrote:
Our club in the UK has two DG1000s with the two wheel
tail dragger configuration. We have had numerous undercarriage
collapses on landing, but as far as I know no unwanted
extentions in flight.

Our club has #23 and has put *a lot* of hours and landings on it in the
last few years. No retract problems so far on landing.

My completely uninformed guess is that those unexpectedly retracted
gears were just not locked. I *almost* landed with an extended but
unlocked gear myself, but recognized the situation just in time. It
takes a lot of force to correctly lock the gear. Start the process early
and always visually double check the handle position.