Headset -> Camcorder audio adapter

Old April 15th 05, 03:25 AM
DK

Default Headset -> Camcorder audio adapter

Does anyone know of an adapter (that won't set me back big bucks) to
be able to record what I hear in my headset onto the audio input of a
video camera? I'd like to do some narration with a little better audio
quality.

I've seen the cel phone adapters that are out there, and they're
nearly as expensive as a headset with the cel phone jack built-in.

I know a little about electronics, and figure the trick is to match
impedance. I get around 500 ohms on my headsets, and I figure that the
camcorder will need 8 ohms. That's about as far as I've been able to
get. Is anyone out there interested in purchasing one if I'm able to
come up with something?

I'd really like to just buy one, but haven't been able to find
anything on the net.

Thanks
DK
Old April 15th 05, 06:15 AM
Morgans

"DK" wrote

I've seen the cel phone adapters that are out there, and they're
nearly as expensive as a headset with the cel phone jack built-in.

I'd really like to just buy one, but haven't been able to find
anything on the net.

Before you get to involved, try sticking a small mike under your ear cup,
and try recording that way. Commonly done little trick.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 15th 05, 08:56 AM
Peter Duniho

"DK" wrote in message
Does anyone know of an adapter (that won't set me back big bucks) to
be able to record what I hear in my headset onto the audio input of a
video camera?

This has come up before. I don't recall the specifics, but I think it
shouldn't take you long to find the answer using Google Groups. Probably if
you search for the words "headset" and/or "intercom" with "video", you'll
get mostly (if not only) the relevant threads.

If I recall, it can be constructed easily with inexpensive parts from an
electronics store.

Pete

Old April 15th 05, 09:20 AM
Ross Oliver

Aircraft Spruce sells one. Look in their catalog in the headset
adaptor cables section. About $25, works great. Won't find it
on their web site, though, so you'll have to get a real catalog,
or call them.

Old April 15th 05, 10:24 AM
Thomas Borchert

Dk,

Does anyone know of an adapter (that won't set me back big bucks) to
be able to record what I hear in my headset onto the audio input of a
video camera?

I fiddled around with audio-outputs of some intercoms, e.g. the plain
old PA-400, available at around 100 $. The effect was not quite what I
wanted: If no one spoke, there was a rather clean silence - no hint of
aircraft noise or anything. This gives a really weird effect. The
solution (tm):

Get one of those pinhead lapel microphones and stick it under the
earcup of your headset next to your ear. That microphone will pick up
enough of the aircraft noise to make it all sound realistic, but not
enough to make the sound annoying. And it will also pick up all that's
said. Note: I tried this with a passive headset. With an active
headset, microphone placement inside the earcup will determine how much
of the cancellation signal the mic will pick up, so more
experimentation might be required.

Cost: zero, except for the mic, which you probably have already.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 15th 05, 02:13 PM
Ben Smith

Here's some information on Gene Whitt's page.. I made one of these cables
myself, works pretty good. Although if I knew I could buy one pre-made for
$25, I would have.

http://tinyurl.com/7cxuf

Old April 15th 05, 03:08 PM
Michelle P

Radio Shack used to sell one for under $10. It has a 1/4 inch on one end
and a 1/8 on the other. IT was colored red on one end to indicated it is
different.
Michelle

Old April 15th 05, 04:36 PM
Newps

DK wrote:

Does anyone know of an adapter (that won't set me back big bucks) to
be able to record what I hear in my headset onto the audio input of a
video camera? I'd like to do some narration with a little better audio
quality.

I've seen the cel phone adapters that are out there, and they're
nearly as expensive as a headset with the cel phone jack built-in.

I know a little about electronics, and figure the trick is to match
impedance. I get around 500 ohms on my headsets, and I figure that the
camcorder will need 8 ohms. That's about as far as I've been able to
get. Is anyone out there interested in purchasing one if I'm able to
come up with something?

I'd really like to just buy one, but haven't been able to find
anything on the net.

I have a Sony Digital 8 camcorder. Just went to Radio Shack and got the
patch cord with the phono plug on the airplane end and whatever that mic
in plug is on the camera end, I think it's just a mini stereo jack. Get
the phono plug to headset adapter plug and off you go. No matching of
anything required. I set the camera on the glareshield on top of a
sponge and have it held down with elastic.
Old April 15th 05, 07:53 PM
nrp

Don't worry about matching impedances. The headset output impedance is
so low compared to the input impedance of the camera that there will be
no need to match them.

I did this with a JVC VHS Camcorder about 12 years ago & got a good
signal level match with just a direct connection. Just open the
intercom squelch if you want to get aircraft background noise too. You
may have to fool with the signal levels some, but as I remember it
worked out surprisingly well right out of my soldering iron.

I saved the tape as being a flight breakfast example for any future
grandkids.

Old April 19th 05, 12:17 AM
DK

Thank you for eveyone's input! I had done the google search, but came
up with several off-topic results with each try. It sounds to be
simpler than I was making it out to be!

Thanks!
DK