Getting used to the Arrow...and I like it...a lot!

Old April 16th 05, 05:59 AM
Jack Allison

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Jack,
In a previous post, it sounded like you fly near Sacramento. If you
need any advice on shops for various types of work, let me know. I used
to have an Arrow, I now have a Mooney. The two are VERY similar. The
only noticable difference to the pilot is the wing. The Arrow has the
easy going Piper wing and the Mooney has the laminar wing.

Yes, I'm in the Sacramento area. Currently based at MCC but plan to be
at LHM as soon as a hanger opens up.

Shop recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks!

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old April 16th 05, 06:03 AM
Jack Allison

Turbo Arrow wrote:

you turn on the boost pump on landing?
Are you sure your suppose to do that?

Yes, part of the pre-landing checklist for non-turbo version.

Old April 16th 05, 06:33 AM
Turbo Arrow

I have not have problems with thermals making me float down the runway

Matt Barrow wrote:

"Turbo Arrow" wrote in message
I have 2 ways of flying my arrow, in the winter I come in with no flaps

and
summer I use full flaps because of the change in air density,if I used

full
flaps in the winter I would float sometimes

More likely you would float during the summer from the thermals associated
with ground heating.

Old April 16th 05, 06:36 AM
Turbo Arrow

yes I have the optional electric primer and hi/lo rocker.
I flew a normally aspirated arrow a couple of times that did not have the electric
primer and it also did not require the boost pump, but all I have flown are arrow
III's, the older ones may be different.

john smith wrote:

It depends on the Arrow and which fuel primer system you have.
Do you have the optional system with the primer button on the panel and
a HI/LO fuel pump rocker switch in the bank of rocker switches with the
MASTER? Or, do you have another arrangement?

Turbo Arrow wrote:
you turn on the boost pump on landing?
Are you sure your suppose to do that?
In my turbo arrow boost is not required for landing or take off, you can use it
on low boost to reduce vapor on hot days prior to take off but other then that
its not touched unless there is an emergency. Thats in the t-arrow, I would
think the normally aspirated one would be the same.

Old April 16th 05, 06:37 AM
Turbo Arrow

yes I know, maybe I should have said MP pressure instead of power, but I
assumed most people would have known what I ment.

kage wrote:

just a note, on decents, instead of reducign power to come down, you can
just

pull the prop back

Pulling the prop back IS reducing power.

Karl
"Curator"
N185KG

Old April 16th 05, 06:41 AM
Turbo Arrow

I was not talking about landings, I am talking about comming down from say,
12,000 ft.
As I said, this is in the book, not something I made up off the top of my head.

john smith wrote:

kage wrote:
just a note, on decents, instead of reducign power to come down, you can
just pull the prop back

Pulling the prop back IS reducing power.

I was taught not push the prop forward until I had the runway made.
(Pulling back reduces RPM, pushing it forward increases RPM)
Do you know how your prop "fails" when the engine stops pumping oil to
the governor?

Old April 16th 05, 06:45 AM
Turbo Arrow

I see its a 1971, is that an Arrow II ?
Its a nice looking plane BTW

Old April 16th 05, 10:35 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Turbo Arrow wrote:
yes I know, maybe I should have said MP pressure instead of power, but I
assumed most people would have known what I ment.

Something else you may want to consider: in cruise, rather than flying at
2400/24", find another power combination that gives the same percentage of power
but uses lower RPM / higher manifold pressure. It yields noticably less noise
and makes for a more pleasant ride.

I wasn't paying attention... we're not talking about a Turbo Arrow, are we? If
we are, forget I said anything about 24". Less RPM still means less noise.
Your passengers will appreciate it, as will your wife when you're 50 and saying
"what?" all the time.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old April 16th 05, 03:14 PM
Matt Barrow

"Turbo Arrow" wrote in message
I have not have problems with thermals making me float down the runway

An airplane impervious to ground effect?

Old April 16th 05, 03:43 PM
kage

I knew you knew, but this is "Usenet" and I just had to harangue you! In a
crew situation being very succinct is important.

Plus others might be afraid to pull the prop back due to some OWTs.

Best,
Karl