Circle to land question

Old May 17th 05, 02:18 PM
Dave Butler

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
On Mon, 16 May 2005 13:28:42 -0400, Dave Butler wrote:

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

If you don't have the runway in sight prior to the MDA, you may NOT be able
to make a successful landing using normal maneuvers (a requirement to
operate below the MDA).

I'm sure Gene understands what you are saying, but for my benefit, could you
elaborate a little on this statement? Why is this true?

Thanks.

Dave

I miswrote a bit. In addition to what others have written, what I really
meant to write was that "if you don't have the airport in sight prior to
the MAP (missed approach point) ..."

And the reason for that has to do with geometry. The MAP may be too close
and to allow for normal maneuvers to land. (And using normal maneuvers is
a requirement of 91.175)

Sorry about the confusion.

Cool. Thanks for the clarification. Dave
Old May 23rd 05, 11:32 AM

If you want to provide your real email address I'll send you an old IFR Refresher article
about circling.

A Lieberman wrote:

On Mon, 16 May 2005 15:08:09 GMT, Gene Whitt wrote:

Hi Gene,

First and foremost, thanks for hosting your awesome website! Some of my
comments in my "newbie" sense of the IFR world.

---Circling approaches are an option to be avoided in times of reduced
visibility

This would be tough to avoid at an airport like mine. Maybe rephrase:

IF POSSIBLE Circling approaches are an option to be avoided in times of
reduced visibility. Precision approaches should be the preferred choice if
available.

---You must choose the circle before descending below its MDA

Can you clear this statement up? I am not sure I understand it.

---Circling at night, in low visibility and exposed to disorientation is a
lost poker hand

I would rephrase the last part ....a potentially loosing poker hand.

---By keeping your distance from the airport until turning final you avoid 'killer'
bank angles

You may want to add to this statement, keep in mind winds aloft direction
may push you closer to the airport then you intend.

Allen

Old May 24th 05, 03:33 AM
A Lieberman

On Mon, 23 May 2005 03:32:17 -0700, wrote:

If you want to provide your real email address I'll send you an old IFR Refresher article
about circling.

Hi Tim,

is a valid address. Look forward to seeing it!

Allen
Old May 24th 05, 04:22 AM
John Clonts

wrote in message ...
If you want to provide your real email address I'll send you an old IFR Refresher article
about circling.

I'd like to see it too please-- jclonts at hot dot rr dot com

--
Cheers,
John Clonts