Oil for a new engine?

Old June 14th 04, 01:24 AM
Bob Martin

Default Oil for a new engine?

A friend of mine just got a new Continental engine for his Cessna
(182RG I think, but don't those have struts? This one doesn't, but it
isn't a Cardinal... I don't know my Cessnas too well... anyways). He
says the factory had it sent with some expensive brand of 5W-30 (or
was 5W-15? something like that) as opposed to mineral oil. Now, I've
always heard that the first 50 hours should be run on mineral oil (and
the engine manual even says so), but he called the factory and said
that they just changed over to this other kind now; apparently they
haven't even updated the manuals yet. Anyone else heard about this?
Old June 14th 04, 04:50 PM
Brian Cox

(Bob Martin) wrote in message . com...
A friend of mine just got a new Continental engine for his Cessna
(182RG I think, but don't those have struts? This one doesn't, but it
isn't a Cardinal... I don't know my Cessnas too well... anyways). He
says the factory had it sent with some expensive brand of 5W-30 (or
was 5W-15? something like that) as opposed to mineral oil. Now, I've
always heard that the first 50 hours should be run on mineral oil (and
the engine manual even says so), but he called the factory and said
that they just changed over to this other kind now; apparently they
haven't even updated the manuals yet. Anyone else heard about this?

Hi Bob,
If it is a 182RG, the engine would be a carbureted Lycoming 540.
Older vintage stright leg 182s have the Continental O-470. The
current ones use an injected Lycoming 540. If the plane does not have
struts, it would be either a Cardinal (which you have indicated is not
the case) or a 210. The 210 is powered by a Continental IO-520.

I have broken in new individual cylinders on my Continental IO-470
engines. I don't use the semi synthetic (Aeroshell 15W50 or Exxon
20W50). I use straight weight. Aeroshell W100 in the warm months (50
weight) and W80 in the winter (40 weight). To break in jugs, I keep
the engine at high manifold pressure to seat the rings. Since I am
based in Colorado, I have to take off from my home airport at 5650 ft
AGL, climb to 6500 and head toward Nebraska/Kansas at full throttle.
As I get out East, I can come down in altitude. After 5-10 hours of
operation, the rings are seated. I have done this with three jugs and
it has been successful in getting the rings seated properly. My
engines are now approaching TBO, so I'll get a chance to do it on
overhauled engines soon.

In any event, if the engine is directly from Continental, the most
prudent break-in procedure is to follow the manufacturer's
instructions to the letter.

Best of luck,
Brian Cox