Wing in ground effect

Old November 16th 05, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Wing in ground effect

Can anyone lead me to a homebuildable WIG? I know Universal
Hovercraft has plans for a wing attachment to one of their kits, but
that's not what I'm after. I have found a towable glider, and that
has promise, but I'd rather not re-invent a wheel that's already out
there.

Thanks.

MH

Old November 18th 05, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

(blank) wrote:
Can anyone lead me to a homebuildable WIG? I know Universal
Hovercraft has plans for a wing attachment to one of their kits, but
that's not what I'm after. I have found a towable glider, and that
has promise, but I'd rather not re-invent a wheel that's already out
there.

Thanks.

MH

Most wigs just need a wash, dry, & comb, to be servicable.
Old November 18th 05, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...ial_s%26sa%3DG

http://www.turkstra.com/K-Designs/Skimmer2.htm

GIS "flarecraft"

http://www.ghdstudios.com/radacraft/ground_effect.html

to get you started

Old November 18th 05, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote

http://www.ghdstudios.com/radacraft/ground_effect.html

to get you started

Man, I don't want to be on the same water with this craft. Can you imagine
how bad the pilot's visability has got to be?
--
Jim in NC

Old November 18th 05, 07:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote)
http://www.turkstra.com/K-Designs/Skimmer2.htm
GIS "flarecraft"

http://www.ghdstudios.com/radacraft/ground_effect.html
to get you started

http://www.ghdstudios.com/radacraft/...lse.html#flare
Bottom of page - Image List:

In Minnesota, if it's a true WIG, it gets licensed by the DNR as a boat.

No Wake zones - not a problem.
5 mph No Wake zones - more of a problem :-)

Montblack
Old November 18th 05, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

jerry wass wrote:
(blank) wrote:

Can anyone lead me to a homebuildable WIG?

Most wigs just need a wash, dry, & comb, to be servicable.

Damn, I'm glad we got THAT cleared up. I'd been running
mine through the washer.

MH

Old November 19th 05, 09:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Yeah, I was gonna ask about that. No-wake zones can be a problem for
sailboats, too. My feeling is that a small WIG would have to have a
wingspan that would permit it to operate as a boat in no-wake places.

Old November 19th 05, 09:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Great stuff! Thanks.

I stumbled onto this: http://www.island.net/~geoja/cushcrow.htm

The Skimmers are great, but they appear to be quite expensive.

I'm still thinking about a towable WIG. The basis for it might be the
60s Aquaglider.

Old November 19th 05, 09:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Given that the thing is on water with small boats, a fountain, and
nearby shore, piloting the thing must have a very high pucker factor.

All of which brings to mind a question: how does one insure a WIG?
There's very little history on them, at least not in the size I'm
thinking about. Maybe this needs to be considered later..

High wing to low wing converts...or, visa versa? Jack Allison Owning 99 January 27th 05 12:10 PM
Wing tip stalls mat Redsell Soaring 5 March 13th 04 06:07 PM
Props and Wing Warping... was soaring vs. flaping Wright1902Glider Home Built 0 September 29th 03 03:40 PM