Darpa contract numbers

Old July 15th 03, 10:37 AM
- = krusty = -

Default Darpa contract numbers

Hi Guys,

Does anybody here know where I can lookup a DARPA contract number and find
out details of the project?

I picked up a VHF aviation radio from a surplus store and for the life of
me, I can't seem to find any information on it. There is a sticker on the
back stating serial number, DARPA contract number and few other things, but
I need to find pinout information. I believe the unit is an ADF (by the
frequency range on the dials) but I really would like to find any info
available.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
-c.

Old July 15th 03, 08:56 PM
Ken Finney

"- = krusty = -" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

Does anybody here know where I can lookup a DARPA contract number and find
out details of the project?

I picked up a VHF aviation radio from a surplus store and for the life of
me, I can't seem to find any information on it. There is a sticker on the
back stating serial number, DARPA contract number and few other things,

but
I need to find pinout information. I believe the unit is an ADF (by the
frequency range on the dials) but I really would like to find any info
available.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
-c.

I doubt if the contract would help you. You really need a model number,
part number, or TO number.

Old July 15th 03, 10:08 PM
Jim Morris

Have you tried plugging in an antenna and turning it on and listen to what
you can receive?
Idle curiosity?

jim

Old July 16th 03, 10:17 AM
- = krusty = -

Does anybody here know where I can lookup a DARPA contract number and
find
out details of the project?

I picked up a VHF aviation radio from a surplus store and for the life

of
me, I can't seem to find any information on it. There is a sticker on

the
back stating serial number, DARPA contract number and few other things,

but
I need to find pinout information. I believe the unit is an ADF (by the
frequency range on the dials) but I really would like to find any info
available.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
-c.

I doubt if the contract would help you. You really need a model number,
part number, or TO number.

The sticker on the back says the following:
VHF RECEIVER ASSY
RESDEL PN 80555-1 SER.No (6368)
CONTRACT NO. F-19628-69-C-0159

That is the only identifying info on the entire unit.
I have tried Googling every conceiveable combination of these numbers, but
nothing.
So far I have found out that it was manufactured by a company called Resdel
Engineering, but there isn't much info on the net about them.

-c.

Old July 16th 03, 10:21 AM
- = krusty = -

"Jim Morris" wrote in message
y.com...
Have you tried plugging in an antenna and turning it on and listen to what
you can receive?
Idle curiosity?

jim

Hi Jim,

Lowtech solution eh? :-)

I would have done that, but for two things.

1) I have no idea where to connect either power of antenna
2) I have no idea of the voltage specs.

Before everyone tells me I'm an incompetant twit, I do know a thing or two
about electronics...it's a hobby, but the problem is that there are two
Cannon connectors on the back of the unit, one with 9 pins and 4 coax type
connectors and another with 13 pins and 3 coax type connectors.
Both these cannon connectors are almost exactly the same size as a standard
DB25 printer port on a PC, except for their strange pins.

From the design of the unit, it's pretty clear that it is supposed to slide
into a tray in a panel.

Anyway, I'm at a loss....

Cheers,
-c.

Old July 22nd 03, 01:26 PM
- = krusty = -

"Big John" wrote in message
Krusty

1. Go to Google
2. Search for "resdel".
3. Dig down to: " USQ - Radio Frequency Monitor Sets" and open.

Resdel Engineering
Pasadena, CA

Read and see if what they manufactured is what you have.

Let us know if this checks out G

Big John - Friend to all (except my enemies)

Thanks Big John,

but alas, no luck there. This unit is about 2.5" (W) x 1" (H) x 1' (Deep)

It has 4 dials on the front panel, the first of the four can be 0 or 1 and
the others can go 0 through 9.

It has 2 rather complicated connectors on the back and I think it's designed
to slide into a tray.

I'm trying to get hold of Resdel, but Google isn't helping much here.

Thanks anyway!

-c.

Old July 22nd 03, 03:58 PM
- = krusty = -

Hi Richard,

Thanks, I did find that URL, but it's not the right stuff...

Thanks
-c.

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
Did you find this?

http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/GSQ160/USQ_Rx.shtml

The only Resdel now in business in the US is

Resdel Corp.
County Airport, Bldg. 22
Rio Grande, NJ 08242
Phone: (609) 886-1111
Fax: (609) 886-6329

but they make plastic tube, not radios.

:

Old July 22nd 03, 04:45 PM
Big John

Krusty

Sounds like you didn't drill far enough down to find the site I was
talking about?

I just went there and it is still up. Try the following which is what
shows when I am on the site:

Http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/GSQ160/USQ_RX.shtml

This link also works for me when clicked on.

What they manufactured sounds like what you have?

Look and let us know if this is your equipment and what it did in VN.

Think there is some contact info on the guy who posted the data on
site who you can contact for detailed info?

Let us now if you find the site and how and if it covers your
equipment.

Big John

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:26:16 +0200, "- = krusty = -"
wrote:

.. .

Old July 22nd 03, 06:13 PM
Big John

Krusty

Sorry I dupped the reply on site address by Richard.

Did you try to contact the guy who made the site? In my quick scan it
sounded like he knows a lot about what Resdel manufactured and may be
collecting some of it?

Your unit sounds like some of the stuff that McNamara authorized to
monitor the trail in VN. He built a massive electronic system (big $)
to detect and locate movement down the trail. Things like dog turds
with radio transmitters in them, etc. System didn't work.

In that time frame anyone with an idea was funded and stuff shipped
over to try. Good friend of mine was involved in some of those 'black'
projects.

Keep looking.

Big John

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:45:48 -0500, Big John
wrote:

Krusty

Sounds like you didn't drill far enough down to find the site I was
talking about?

I just went there and it is still up. Try the following which is what
shows when I am on the site:

Http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/GSQ160/USQ_RX.shtml

This link also works for me when clicked on.

What they manufactured sounds like what you have?

Look and let us know if this is your equipment and what it did in VN.

Think there is some contact info on the guy who posted the data on
site who you can contact for detailed info?

Let us now if you find the site and how and if it covers your
equipment.

Big John

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:26:16 +0200, "- = krusty = -"
wrote:

. ..

Old July 23rd 03, 03:22 AM
Bill Higdon

yes but most transponders are base 8 (numbers go 0-7).
I suspect it's some thing from the Viet Nam era "sensor programs"
Bill Higdon
Richard Riley wrote:
Without knowing *anything* about it, the numbers sure call to mind a
transponder IFF kind of thing.

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:06:31 +0200, "- = krusty = -"
wrote:

:Hi John,
:
:Thanks...you got me a bit confused as I read every word on that page and
:couldn't find anything relating to this product. I have emailed the guy who
:runs the site and I'll see if he's as helpful as you! g
:
:If you'd like, here is a link to a pic of the front of the device:
:http://www.surplusshed.com/photo.cfm?ID=R1445_1
:
:I picked it up for next to nothing from these guys as I figured the
:electronics would be useful if nothing else came of it, but I'd like to see
:what i can do with it before ripping it's guts out.
:
:Thanks for your help!
:
:-chris. (we're on first name basis now :-))
:
:
:"Big John" wrote in message
.. .
[...]
[...]