What is the Lockheed Vindicator?

Old October 30th 03, 01:55 AM
Tex Houston

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
On the weekend I saw a book about an aircraft called Vindicator, that

seemed
to be a precursor to the Douglas Dauntless....torpedo bomber in the

'30's.

Not sure whether it was Lockheed though.

That was the Vultee Vindicator, the SB2U-1. A dive-bomber. So slow
pilots nicknamed it the "Wind-indicator."

Next time you watch the movie "Midway," you'll see it being passed off
as the planes flown by Torpeo 8.

vince norris

Sorry, Vince. Try Vought.

Tex

Old October 30th 03, 01:57 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message

That was the Vultee Vindicator, the SB2U-1. A dive-bomber. So slow
pilots nicknamed it the "Wind-indicator."

The Vindicator was built by Vought, not Vultee. The "U" in the designator
is for Vought, the Navy used "V" for Vultee aircraft so that they could be
confused with Vega.

Old October 30th 03, 05:26 AM
Devi Deveraux

"Simon Robbins" wrote in message ...
"Devi Deveraux" wrote in message
om...

When questioned about the patch and aircraft he said he "couldn't talk
about it, the aircraft was secret".

Do they actually make sew-on patches for black project aircraft? Seems a
stupid lax in othrewise top-notch security to me. (Do they do t-shirts and
"My other car's a hypersonic scramjet" bumper stickers too? :^)

Could well be some pilot with a sense of humour had a patch made up for a
prank. (Hmm... that gives me an idea..)

Si

Upon further investigation I learned that the patch in question was
Lockheed's.

The pilot flew for them, not the USAF.

The correct patch is round with light blue sky background. On it is
the Skunk Works skunk character (not a cartoon character I thought
earlier) holding a white lightning bolt and wearing a flying cap.
Below is the word VINDICATOR.

Apologies to everyone, it was an old story. Hard to remember the exact
details.

DV-D
Old October 30th 03, 03:33 PM
Van Gardner

vincent p. norris wrote in message . ..
On the weekend I saw a book about an aircraft called Vindicator, that seemed
to be a precursor to the Douglas Dauntless....torpedo bomber in the '30's.

Not sure whether it was Lockheed though.

That was the Vultee Vindicator, the SB2U-1. A dive-bomber. So slow
pilots nicknamed it the "Wind-indicator."

Next time you watch the movie "Midway," you'll see it being passed off
as the planes flown by Torpeo 8.

vince norris

There are a lot of Vought SB2U Vindicators in the movie "Dive Bomber"
staring Errol Flynn and Fred McMurray. It was filmed a few months
before the Pearl Harbor attack with lots of sceens on the USS
Saratoga. It's one of my favorite movies because of the many
different airplanes in background shots. I have just about worn my
video tape out. I wonder if its on DVD now.

Van
Old October 31st 03, 03:20 AM
vincent p. norris

The Vindicator was built by Vought, not Vultee.

Gawd yes! Chance Vought. I knew that, having memorized the navy's
designation system as a little kid and having been stationed at Cherry
Point for several years when there were three or four F4U squadrons
there.

As I remarked on another aviation group (or was it this one? I
forget), a few days ago when I made a similar feeble-minded slip, I'm
getting more senile every day!

vince norris
Old October 31st 03, 05:19 AM

vincent p. norris wrote:

The Vindicator was built by Vought, not Vultee.

Gawd yes! Chance Vought. I knew that, having memorized the navy's
designation system as a little kid and having been stationed at Cherry
Point for several years when there were three or four F4U squadrons
there.

As I remarked on another aviation group (or was it this one? I
forget), a few days ago when I made a similar feeble-minded slip, I'm
getting more senile every day!

vince norris

I know the feeling Vince but it beats not getting older every day
doesn't it?...

--

-Gord.
Old October 31st 03, 11:38 PM
vincent p. norris

I know the feeling Vince but it beats not getting older every day
doesn't it?...

Sure does! A friend who is even more ancient than I am, old enough to
have flown P-40s and 51s during WW II, occasionally complains about
getting old, and I always respond, "Bill, you want to KEEP DOING
THAT!"

vince norris