Any Apache drivers ?

Old May 17th 05, 07:32 PM
Denny

I'm not a fan of the square look... Keep em round... Jeez, I dunno off
the top of my head who produced the fairing I have, it's mucho decades
old... You will need to do the home work and see if there is a fat
fairing languishing in some shops attic... Call the airplane wreckers
also....
Yeah, in my mind there is a significant improvement in safety with the
dorsal fin... When I do engine cuts (altitude) and let the speedo go
below Vmc, the plane is mushing out of the sky before it offers to
start going roundy, roundy - I have never let it get deep into that, no
cajones Senor.... My understanding is that in the original
configuration with the wasp waist fuselage an Apache could do an abrupt
break into an inverted spin that got a few pilots...

cheers ... denny

Old May 18th 05, 03:29 AM
Scott Skylane

Ron Natalie wrote:

I know of only one Navion with a squat switch, the plane wasn't
designed with one.

That's interesting, Ron. Do you know what, exactly, the switch did(i.e
operate a solenoid that blocked the gear handle, or somesuch)?

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
N92054
Old May 18th 05, 12:19 PM
Ron Natalie

Scott Skylane wrote:
Ron Natalie wrote:

I know of only one Navion with a squat switch, the plane wasn't
designed with one.

That's interesting, Ron. Do you know what, exactly, the switch did(i.e
operate a solenoid that blocked the gear handle, or somesuch)?

Exactly, there's actually a secondary gear lock (this was either an SB
or AD, probably an AD I've never seen a Navion that doesn't have it).
Normally the only thing that keeps you from raising the gear is that you
have to pull out the handle over a detent. The seconary lock is a
small lever that hooks over the handle (behind the panel). I believe
Don added a solenoid that makes it impossible to release the secondary
lock on the ground.

Frankly, the inadvertant retracts that I know about have all been after
maintenance.
Old May 22nd 05, 03:45 AM
Tom Inglima

It has probably been twenty years since flying an Apache. It was always a
good sturdy airplane that was not very demanding and pretty honest. One
important thing is like lots of other low HP twins, it is important to
understand that except when very light, single engine performance is really,
really poor.

It may have 300 total HP, but even with both sides making maximum noise,
performance is a little better than a 200 HP Arrow, but not much more.

If you have a standard configuration airplane there is only one hydraulic
pump (Left engine if memory is still not totally gone) That means if you
lose the left engine right after T.O. with the gear still down, you will
first have to decide if you can afford to let that engine windmill a while
raising the gear (Watch the RPM and make sure the engine is not going to
unwind below the feathering lockout pin RPM) If you just have to feather
that engine right now (the usual case if you do not have several hundred
feet already) you will now be a busy bee trying to pull out the aux hyd pump
handle and then pumping with your right hand while flying with your left
while trying to raise the gear. Let there be no doubt, unless you raise the
gear, the altimeter will be going the wrong way.

The solution to this is a STC installation of an electric powered hydraulic
pump. It has a nice little spring loaded push button switch right on the
gear and flap console, so all you have to do is reach over, raise the gear
handle, hold the button and wait a little while for the gear handle to snap
back to the neutral position. Other than your personal skill in
multi-engine skills this STC is one of the best safety items you can get.

If you are going to be like most multi-engine non-pro pilots, you will not
be very proficient with multi-engine skills. Proficiency is the best and
cheapest insurance you can buy. Get a really good instructor and don't
settle for anything other than becoming and then staying (that means lots of
continuous practice with a sharp AME CFI) really proficient.

If you get and stay proficient you will be happy. If you don't, then you
are betting that nothing will ever go wrong.

By the way. None of this is meant to mean that the Apache is not a good
airplane, it is a great airplane, it is just like many other low HP light
twin's

Tom

"omk" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

Back into aircraft ownership, this time I was able to go whole four
months without an airplane ! After owning couple Cessnas, I got hold of
a '56 PA-23-150 project, completely stock except for newer radios,
cleveland wheels, and the (Horton ?) tips. My friend and I are going
through a partial restoration, its been a lot of fun. Engines and props
are good, had to do the flap torque tube AD, all new tires, generator
bracket & belt, rebuild two struts, bunch of new seals, o-rings, etc,
etc.

So... just curious if there are any other Apache pilots in the NG. All
the old timers at the field stop by the hangar periodically and
reminisce about flying these machines. We really have it apart and I've
been nothing short of impressed by the workmanship and effort that must
have gone into building the thing.

I've never flown twins (ok, this is more of a two-part 300hp engine
;-), but after doing a ground runup with fistful of throttles, there is
really no going back, is there...

Martin