That's one way to get the gear down and locked

Old September 18th 05, 11:11 PM
Mike W.

there was a case here (OSU) where someone belly landed a 182RG in the grass.
A couple of broken antennas was really the only damage to the fuselage. they
tore the engine down because they landed with power, so the prop was a
little bent. It was back in the air within a few weeks.

"Michael 182" wrote in message

"john smith" wrote in message
1) engage brain
2) raise gear
3) belly land in grass

Actually, you want to land on the paved surface.
This is a proven fact. Less damage and more control.

I would want to land on pavement in my 182 RG because it looks like the
retract holes in the belly would catch turf and make for a messy
deceleration. In a retract with wells in the wings, maybe grass is a

better
option?

Michael

Old September 18th 05, 11:21 PM
john smith

I'm dubious of the more control while sliding down the pavement as
opposed to the grass. Seems like it could very pilot and aircraft
dependant. Could you cite your source where this is "proven?"
And, yes, I am a member of the group "that has".

Something I have read, Frank. I cannot cite a reference.
It has to do with variability in the ground surface off the paved
runway. Culverts, drainage ditches, holes, etc.
The paved surface is generally "smooth", allowing the aircraft to slide
unimpeded. With a two-bladed prop, it is possible to bump the blades so
as to prevent a prop strike and mandatory engine tear down. This would
leave only the belly skins and antenna to be replace.
Old September 18th 05, 11:58 PM
john smith

there was a case here (OSU) where someone belly landed a 182RG in the grass.
A couple of broken antennas was really the only damage to the fuselage. they
tore the engine down because they landed with power, so the prop was a
little bent. It was back in the air within a few weeks.

OSU flight school Cessna 172 RG/Cutlass; last year or the year before.
Instructor landed the aircraft.
Old September 19th 05, 03:12 AM
Frank Stutzman

john smith wrote:

Something I have read, Frank. I cannot cite a reference.
It has to do with variability in the ground surface off the paved
runway. Culverts, drainage ditches, holes, etc.

I agree that there is a much higher chance of damage while landing
gear-up on an unknown surface. Somehow in my mind I thought we were
discussing the damage that might happen when doing such a thing on a grass
runway as opposed to a paved runway.

With a two-bladed prop, it is possible to bump the blades so
as to prevent a prop strike and mandatory engine tear down. This would
leave only the belly skins and antenna to be replace.

Putting the prop horizontal (in theory) could be done regardless of the
landing surface.

Getting a little thread drift here, but in my experiance the only way you
are going to stop a prop (much less bump into into a nice position) on a
piston plane is going to be either 1) have the engine seize or 2) monkey
around way too much near stall speed. I havn't had 1) happen to me, but I
have experimented with 2). I've never been successful, but with the right
prop and a tight engine I can see where it might be possible.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old September 19th 05, 03:56 AM
private

"john smith" wrote in message
I'm dubious of the more control while sliding down the pavement as
opposed to the grass. Seems like it could very pilot and aircraft
dependant. Could you cite your source where this is "proven?"
And, yes, I am a member of the group "that has".

Something I have read, Frank. I cannot cite a reference.
It has to do with variability in the ground surface off the paved
runway. Culverts, drainage ditches, holes, etc.
The paved surface is generally "smooth", allowing the aircraft to slide
unimpeded. With a two-bladed prop, it is possible to bump the blades so
as to prevent a prop strike and mandatory engine tear down. This would
leave only the belly skins and antenna to be replace.

It is my understanding that the major danger in a gear up landing in the
grass is the possibility of catching a wingtip and turning a slide into a
cartwheel which is more likely to result in fatalities., and it is for this
reason that it is recommended to land on a hard surface runway. I would
suggest that this danger is greater with the higher touchdown speed of many
retractable gear aircraft particularly twins, and especially if attempting a
landing with one leg not properly locked down.

In any emergency, passenger survival should be the primary consideration.

Happy landings

Old September 19th 05, 05:50 AM
Morgans

"Mike W." wrote in message
there was a case here (OSU) where someone belly landed a 182RG in the

grass.
A couple of broken antennas was really the only damage to the fuselage.

they
tore the engine down because they landed with power, so the prop was a
little bent. It was back in the air within a few weeks.

While there is anecdotal evidence to support both sides, the runway still
gets the nod. Why? Runways are always smooth, ( questionable, here g)
while grass may have drainage cuts, culverts, lights, washed out areas, and
other things that could snag on a plane, and cause it to flip, cartwheel, or
tear things in a "messy" manner.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 19th 05, 11:20 AM
Mike W.

I agree that landing in an 'unknown' grassy area could be risky, tree
stumps, rocks etc. This particular example was in a grass area parallel to
the runway, so they knew it was clear.

Old September 19th 05, 09:16 PM
Paul kgyy

This is another candidate either for the Darwin award or the "why women
live longer" group on the oops list http://www.micom.net/oops/