That's one way to get the gear down and locked

Old September 17th 05, 04:13 PM
Louis L. Perley III

Default That's one way to get the gear down and locked

I've heard of this being done before, but this is the first I've seen.

They drove a Jeep under the plane to check out why the landing gear
would not lock, then they used a stick to push the gear forward so it
would lock (Cessna RG, not sure if it's a 172/182)

http://www.wftv.com/irresistible/4982688/detail.html

--
Louis Perley
N370

Old September 17th 05, 04:19 PM
sfb

Close up at http://www.news-journalonline.com/

One more example of folks who think planes are worth more than their
lives.

oups.com...

Old September 17th 05, 11:04 PM
Mike W.

1) engage brain
2) raise gear
3) belly land in grass

--
Hello, my name is Mike, and I am an airplane addict....

Old September 18th 05, 01:25 AM
xerj

I'd always thought that it was better to belly land on the runway because of
the tendency for the plane to dig in and nose over on a soft surface.

"Mike W." wrote in message
1) engage brain
2) raise gear
3) belly land in grass

--
Hello, my name is Mike, and I am an airplane addict....

Old September 18th 05, 01:48 AM
john smith

1) engage brain
2) raise gear
3) belly land in grass

Actually, you want to land on the paved surface.
This is a proven fact. Less damage and more control.
Mike, do you own or what club do you fly with?

Old September 18th 05, 01:12 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Louis L. Perley III" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've heard of this being done before, but this is the first I've seen.

They drove a Jeep under the plane to check out why the landing gear
would not lock, then they used a stick to push the gear forward so it
would lock (Cessna RG, not sure if it's a 172/182)

http://www.wftv.com/irresistible/4982688/detail.html

--
Louis Perley
N370

Reading the story, I hated to see:

"The airport will now investigate to see if the impromptu in-flight
inspection broke any major rules."

The fact is that the New Smyrna airport is under pressure by locals to close
the airport. This investigation either sounds like an appeasement move to
that faction, or maybe, the "airport" (Who's that, anyway, the airport
authority?) is looking to give ammunition to the NIMBY's.

As someone else said, this act was dumb as a box of rocks, and the less that
"the airport" says about it, the better.

Old September 18th 05, 04:05 PM
Frank Stutzman

john smith wrote:

Actually, you want to land on the paved surface.
This is a proven fact. Less damage and more control.

Well, depends.

Much of the damage from a gear up landing doesn't come from landing, but
in the removal of the plane from the runway. At a busy class C or so
airport there is a lot of pressure to re-open the runway. Ground
personel are more interested in clearing the runway than they are of
causing further damage. I've heard storys of chains being wrapped around
a tail the plane being yarded to the side of the runway, crushing the
fuselage.

I'm dubious of the more control while sliding down the pavement as
opposed to the grass. Seems like it could very pilot and aircraft
dependant. Could you cite your source where this is "proven?"

And, yes, I am a member of the group "that has".

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old September 18th 05, 06:48 PM
Michael 182

"john smith" wrote in message
1) engage brain
2) raise gear
3) belly land in grass

Actually, you want to land on the paved surface.
This is a proven fact. Less damage and more control.

I would want to land on pavement in my 182 RG because it looks like the
retract holes in the belly would catch turf and make for a messy
deceleration. In a retract with wells in the wings, maybe grass is a better
option?

Michael