medical question

Old September 13th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_1_]

Default medical question

The true diagnosis of depression is generally made when a patient complains
of a specific set of criteria symptoms. Simply calling someone depressed
because they are fatigued or tired is lazy, irresponsible and poor medicine.

JN, MD
Senior Flight Surgeon (USAF), AME

Old September 13th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Trevor

Emily wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:
snip

My concern is, if he writes this up in my medical records, do I have
to report it to the FAA? I'm really terrified of this.

Yes, you have to report it at your next medical

Even though I don't have depression?! 102 degree fever indicates
infection, no depression (which I don't have anyway). How could a
routine appointment for a fever make me lost my medical? This is the
most unfair thing I've ever encountered, just because of some doctor's
incompetence. He's making something up, because he doesn't want to take
the time to find out what's REALLY wrong. I'm sorry, but seeing a
patient for two minutes does not qualify anyone to diagnos
depression...and the fact that I don't have it means a lot.

And to take this farther, how do I keep a doctor from writing all sorts
of bogus things in my records? Fever and fatigue also are symptoms of
AIDS, what if he's written THAT? See what I'm saying?

First, I would make your concerns known to your doctor before he starts
going diagnosis crazy. And keep asking him what the medical criteria for
'depression' is if he keeps throwing around the d word. Next, I would find
another doctor. Finally, I believe on your next medical application, you
are required to report all visits to doctors since your last medical.
Routine checkups are exempt from that hassle IIRC. Don't worry too much
about that, it's not abnormal or disqualifying if you got sick at some
point. The biggest piece of advice I can give anyone is to keep records
of all medical applications, forever. This will make filling out your next
form a snap at the dr office, (bring along a copy of the old one and you can
make liberal use of "as previously reported" without worrying about hanging
yourself by forgetting to report something they might be expecting to see
from a past application. AOPA has some kind of tool online to simplify the
record keeping, I just make a copy of the form every x years and file it
away with my wings certificates. YMMV.

Old September 13th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stubby

Viperdoc wrote:
The true diagnosis of depression is generally made when a patient complains
of a specific set of criteria symptoms. Simply calling someone depressed
because they are fatigued or tired is lazy, irresponsible and poor medicine.

Is that grounds to have his AME certificate removed? What is the
process? The AME may have problems of his own that need looked at.
Old September 13th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Trevor wrote:
snip

First, I would make your concerns known to your doctor before he starts
going diagnosis crazy. And keep asking him what the medical criteria for
'depression' is if he keeps throwing around the d word. Next, I would find
another doctor.

Obviously. My primary doctor, who knew I was a pilot and understood
what that meant, moved last month, this was his replacement. My
allergist is also pretty good, although I have to remind him at every
visit that I can't take Zyrtec. This is the first I've ever had this
issue and I will not be going back.

Finally, I believe on your next medical application, you
are required to report all visits to doctors since your last medical.

And I do that. I've been sick before, it's never been an issue. I'm
just concerned about the bogus diagnosis ending up in my records.

Old September 13th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jon Kraus wrote:
Haven't you learned the "life isn't fair lesson" yet? :-)

Just keep your mouth shut and quit worrying about it. As long as you
aren't taking anti-depressants you don't have anything to worry about.

Read the application again. It asked if you've ever had or been
diagnosed with the list of problems.
Old September 13th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Kraus

Haven't you learned the "life isn't fair lesson" yet? :-)

Just keep your mouth shut and quit worrying about it. As long as you
aren't taking anti-depressants you don't have anything to worry about.

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ UMP

Old September 13th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jon Kraus wrote:
I would require that the doctor be competent in his diagnosis before I
would list it. Seeing me for 5 minutes and then calling me depressed
wouldn't count in my book. But if you want to list it as such you have
the right and the resulting nightmare would be your reward.

It doesn't sound like you have participated too much in "the game of
life" yet. You'll understand more as you get a little older...

I've participated in life plenty....you don't even know how old I am.
I've just never experienced a doctor singlehandedly try to get my
medical revoked for absolutely no reason.