Primary training in a Hi Perf complex acft

Old March 23rd 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Default Primary training in a Hi Perf complex acft

Total stream-of-consciousness post here...

Anbody learn to fly in a high performance complex aircraft? Bonanza,
Saratoga, 182RG and the like? I know it's possible, just wonder how
much longer it'd take for a student to master something with
significant power and prop & gear controls. (I did all my instructing
in 172s and PA28s)
I watched that goofy Segal movie Executive Decision the other day
where Kurt Russell was a student pilot flying a Bo, and later used his
stellar(?) flying skills to plant a 747 at a GA airport. It got me
thinking about ab initio folks learning in Cirruses (Cirri?)
Obviously with no prop or gear control it's a simpler aircraft to fly
but the performance is equal to or better than a A36.

Old March 23rd 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
EridanMan

My guess is that speed more than complexity would be the main
hindrance in learning in a high performance/complex aircraft.

I just remember how frustrating/hard it was the first few flights to
try to keep up on all my checklists/Comm/Flying puttering along at 100
knots in a C172... In a HP aircraft, everything happens faster...
Approaches, Altitude Deviations, etc... I think a huge part of the
advantage of learning in a slower plane is simply it allows you to get
all of your habits in place under a more time/lower stress
situation... then once they've become second nature, its a lot less of
a pain to adapt them to a faster paced environment.

Old March 23rd 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Anbody learn to fly in a high performance complex aircraft?

Think of it like learning to play the violin by sitting in performance
with the NY Philharmonic and following along.

When you learn to play an instrument, or learn a new song on an
instrument you already know how to play, you start slow to make sure
your fingers are going in the right places before you speed up. You
simplify the tune and add the frills later. You practice the hard parts
by themselves, and then integrate them into the piece.

You can't do that in the air in a high performance aircraft.

Jose
--
Humans are pack animals. Above all things, they have a deep need to
follow something, be it a leader, a creed, or a mob. Whosoever fully
Old March 23rd 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Mar 23, 9:36 am, "Kingfish" wrote:
Total stream-of-consciousness post here...

Anbody learn to fly in a high performance complex aircraft? Bonanza,
Saratoga, 182RG and the like? I know it's possible, just wonder how
much longer it'd take for a student to master something with
significant power and prop & gear controls. (I did all my instructing
in 172s and PA28s)
I watched that goofy Segal movie Executive Decision the other day
where Kurt Russell was a student pilot flying a Bo, and later used his
stellar(?) flying skills to plant a 747 at a GA airport. It got me
thinking about ab initio folks learning in Cirruses (Cirri?)
Obviously with no prop or gear control it's a simpler aircraft to fly
but the performance is equal to or better than a A36.

I've taught a few primary students in the Mooney. It can certainly be
a handful but everyone is able to do it, and take their checkride in
the Mooney. The Mooney might be a more extreme example because its
more slippery than the planes you mentioned and requires much more
planning. Interestingly, time to initial solo is not a whole lot more
in the Mooney because pattern work is very procedural (checklist here,
gumps here, gear check here, etc). However, cross country solo takes a
fair amount more time in the Mooney because of the need to plan more
carefully. Every student I've done primary training with has arrived
at their destination during cross country training at least 5,000 feet
too high.
The challenge is to go through the checklist items and keep ahead of
the plane without having your head in the cockpit. You really have to
learn the skill of going through checklists and looking around at the
same time (something most students don't get until instrument training
because checklists are usually so short in primary training).

-Robert, CFII

Old March 23rd 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Kingfish writes:

I watched that goofy Segal movie Executive Decision the other day
where Kurt Russell was a student pilot flying a Bo, and later used his
stellar(?) flying skills to plant a 747 at a GA airport. It got me
thinking about ab initio folks learning in Cirruses (Cirri?)
Obviously with no prop or gear control it's a simpler aircraft to fly
but the performance is equal to or better than a A36.

The most unrealistic part about movies in which inexperienced pilots (or
non-pilots) fly 747s is that a 747 would most likely be flown by computer in
real life. The "pilot" would never have to worry about handling the controls
because he wouldn't have to touch them. The automation on a large airliner is
quite capable of flying to any destination and (usually) autolanding on any
decent runway with an ILS localizer and glide path.

Old March 23rd 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Allen[_1_]

"Kingfish" wrote in message
ups.com...
Total stream-of-consciousness post here...

Anbody learn to fly in a high performance complex aircraft? Bonanza,
Saratoga, 182RG and the like? I know it's possible, just wonder how
much longer it'd take for a student to master something with
significant power and prop & gear controls. (I did all my instructing
in 172s and PA28s)
I watched that goofy Segal movie Executive Decision the other day
where Kurt Russell was a student pilot flying a Bo, and later used his
stellar(?) flying skills to plant a 747 at a GA airport. It got me
thinking about ab initio folks learning in Cirruses (Cirri?)
Obviously with no prop or gear control it's a simpler aircraft to fly
but the performance is equal to or better than a A36.

Lufthansa has (had?) an ab-initio training facility in Goodyear, AZ using
A-36 Bonanzas. I knew a fellow that went out and bought an old Johnson bar
Mooney. He got with an instructor and soloed in a Cessna 152 then finished
his training in his Mooney.

Allen

Old March 23rd 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Michael[_1_]

On Mar 23, 11:36 am, "Kingfish" wrote:
Anbody learn to fly in a high performance complex aircraft? Bonanza,
Saratoga, 182RG and the like?

A friend of mine once taught a primary student in an Apache (twin
engine complex). Took the guy 50 hours to solo.

Michael

Old March 23rd 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Jose" wrote:

Think of it like learning to play the violin by sitting in performance with
the NY Philharmonic and following along.

That is an exaggerated analogy. Flying a Bonanza is nowhere near that much
harder than flying a Warrior. If you were comparing a Pitts to a Warrior, it
might be closer to accurate.

When you learn to play an instrument, or learn a new song on an instrument
you already know how to play, you start slow to make sure your fingers are
going in the right places before you speed up. You simplify the tune and
add the frills later. You practice the hard parts by themselves, and then
integrate them into the piece.

You can't do that in the air in a high performance aircraft.

Sure you can. All it takes is the right instructor and more money.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old March 23rd 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Kingfish wrote:
Total stream-of-consciousness post here...

Anbody learn to fly in a high performance complex aircraft? Bonanza,
Saratoga, 182RG and the like? I know it's possible, just wonder how
much longer it'd take for a student to master something with
significant power and prop & gear controls. (I did all my instructing
in 172s and PA28s)
I watched that goofy Segal movie Executive Decision the other day
where Kurt Russell was a student pilot flying a Bo, and later used his
stellar(?) flying skills to plant a 747 at a GA airport. It got me
thinking about ab initio folks learning in Cirruses (Cirri?)
Obviously with no prop or gear control it's a simpler aircraft to fly
but the performance is equal to or better than a A36.

Well, the USAF does primary training in the T-6; hardly a simple A/C.

For the average John Doe I can think of lots of reasons this might
not be a good idea, though certainly there are some people who are
at the high end of that bell shaped curve.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old March 23rd 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

Well, the USAF does primary training in the T-6; hardly a simple A/C.
For the average John Doe I can think of lots of reasons this might
not be a good idea, though certainly there are some people who are
at the high end of that bell shaped curve.

Well.....:-) everyone of my classmates soloed in a T-34 somewhere
between 13-15 hours, and then soloed a T-28 at about 40 hours total.

Bob Moore