Liberals Ignore The Wright Brothers

Old December 10th 03, 05:18 PM
Andrew Gideon

Default Liberals Ignore The Wright Brothers

Liberals HATE America wrote:

Alas, Orville and Wilbur Wright are today pigeon-holed as "dead white
males" whom we are supposed to ignore, if not deplore.

The author is sadly misinformed. I couldn't care less about "white" or
"male". However, "dead" is a Bad Thing. I certainly expend a serious
amount of effort to avoid this label myself, and I never take advice given
to me by people to whom this label applies...at least advice provided since
the label's application.

In fact, it can be safely stated that I avoid any conversation at all with
people to whom this label applies. If I were to see one of these people
walking along the street, I'd be sure to walk on the other side - or
perhaps accelerate in the opposite direction.

Does that make me a liberal?

- Andrew

Old December 10th 03, 06:42 PM
Tom

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
Liberals HATE America wrote:

Alas, Orville and Wilbur Wright are today pigeon-holed as "dead white
males" whom we are supposed to ignore, if not deplore.

The author is sadly misinformed. I couldn't care less about "white" or
"male". However, "dead" is a Bad Thing. I certainly expend a serious
amount of effort to avoid this label myself, and I never take advice given
to me by people to whom this label applies...at least advice provided

since
the label's application.

In fact, it can be safely stated that I avoid any conversation at all with
people to whom this label applies. If I were to see one of these people
walking along the street, I'd be sure to walk on the other side - or
perhaps accelerate in the opposite direction.

Does that make me a liberal?

Your previous statements do not support your current claim.

As for someone being mistaken; between a genius like Sowell and a
dingleberry like yourself, I have to vote for Sowell.

Old December 10th 03, 07:05 PM
Andrew Gideon

Tom wrote:

Your previous statements do not support your current claim.

I've made previous statements which indicate to you that I speak to dead
people? Interesting. Scary, perhaps, but interesting.

- Andrew

Old December 11th 03, 12:47 AM
Jay Honeck

Alas, Orville and Wilbur Wright are today pigeon-holed as "dead white
males" whom we are supposed to ignore, if not deplore.

An adjunct to this theory: Today, while Christmas shopping for my kids,
nephews & nieces, I was amazed and saddened to find not a SINGLE toy
airplane for sale in K-Mart's expanded toy section.

Well, they DID have a single, lonely (but nifty) radio-controlled plane for
sale, but that was *it*. No World War II fighters, no modern jets, not
even an airport play-set for toddlers! Given that the importance of this
year, I would have expected at least one or two "Wright Brothers" toys.

Heck, we couldn't even find the usually ubiquitous little die-cast toys...

Not that K-Mart is indicative of the entire marketplace, but IMHO this
doesn't bode well for the future of general aviation. When kids stop
playing with airplanes, they stop dreaming about flying... :-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 11th 03, 01:02 AM
Rob Perkins

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 00:47:08 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Alas, Orville and Wilbur Wright are today pigeon-holed as "dead white
males" whom we are supposed to ignore, if not deplore.

An adjunct to this theory: Today, while Christmas shopping for my kids,
nephews & nieces, I was amazed and saddened to find not a SINGLE toy
airplane for sale in K-Mart's expanded toy section.

Go to Target. The Kool Toyz line has a set of 'em.

Rob
Old December 11th 03, 03:06 AM
Andrew Gideon

Jay Honeck wrote:

Well, they DID have a single, lonely (but nifty) radio-controlled plane
for
sale, but that was *it*. No World War II fighters, no modern jets, not
even an airport play-set for toddlers! Given that the importance of this
year, I would have expected at least one or two "Wright Brothers" toys.

It's not the stores; it's you. You're too late grin.

We got for our son a "Little People" airport set recently. The store (Toys
R Us, I think) had a rich selection of aviation-related tools from which to
choose.

But the cool stuff always goes first, Jay.

Or, maybe it's KMart. Perhaps they can no longer afford to stock the
popular stuff.

Whatever it was...the store we visited was tough only for the breadth of
choice. Ah...and the fact that I have to share laugh.

- Andrew

Old December 11th 03, 03:08 AM
vincent p. norris

When kids stop playing with airplanes, they stop dreaming about flying... :-(

Jay, I think it's the other way round: When kids stop dreaming about
flying, they stop playing with airplanes.

Kids play with toys that already interest them, not vice versa.

Like it or not, "history marches on." Aviation is not as romantic as
it was when I was a kid. Pilots no longer wear helmet, goggles, and a
silk scarf. People no longer rush out of their homes to watch
airplanes fly over, as they did when I was a kid.

Youngsters today have no idea who Lindbergh was, or Jimmy Doolittle,
or even Wrong Way Corrigan. The Derring-do exploits of aviators are no
longer on the front pages of newspapers. Why should kids be
interested in aviation?

vince norris
Old December 11th 03, 03:35 AM
Wizard of Draws

vincent p. norris wrote:

Why should kids be
interested in aviation?

Because it's magic.

Modern planes are even more magic than those of the Wright brothers.
They looked so light and delicate, it was easy to see the relationship
between a child's kite and the larger flying machines. Of course they
could fly.

But now? Hundreds of tons of metal suspended miles above the earth with
nothing to hold it up? Traveling at speeds faster than the earth can
rotate beneath it?
How about a plane that can fly around the world on one tank of gas?

You get the idea.
Magic.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

"Cartoons with a Touch of Magic"
http://www.wizardofdraws.com
http://www.cartoonclipart.com
Old December 11th 03, 03:43 AM
Mutts

wrote:

An adjunct to this theory: Today, while Christmas shopping for my kids,
nephews & nieces, I was amazed and saddened to find not a SINGLE toy
airplane for sale in K-Mart's expanded toy section.

Walmart has lots of stuff, if its not sold out. Huge P-47 and Cobra
helicopter, very accurate. Lots of little aircraft. Kaybee has little
wright flyers as well. The hard stuff to find are Cessna and Piper
toys
Old December 11th 03, 07:37 AM
Earl Grieda

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Not that K-Mart is indicative of the entire marketplace, but IMHO this
doesn't bode well for the future of general aviation. When kids stop
playing with airplanes, they stop dreaming about flying... :-(
--

Actually, its when kids stop reading they stop dreaming about flying. Toys
R Irrelvant.

Earl G.