Liberals Ignore The Wright Brothers

Old December 11th 03, 11:09 AM
Cub Driver

The author is sadly misinformed. I couldn't care less about "white" or
"male". However, "dead" is a Bad Thing. I certainly expend a serious
amount of effort to avoid this label myself,

You do realize, Andrew, that this means your face will never be on a
postage stamp? Gotta be dead for that to happen.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old December 11th 03, 11:12 AM
Cub Driver

Youngsters today have no idea who Lindbergh was, or Jimmy Doolittle,
or even Wrong Way Corrigan

Vince, I am pleased that someone else remembers Corrigan.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old December 11th 03, 01:13 PM
Judah

At some point in relatively recent history, many things that we currently
take for granted were Magic...

The Light Bulb
The Telephone
The Car
The Computer
The Internet
Christmas

I think for most people nowadays, there isn't much Magic. Nowadays it's
always about money. There isn't even much visionary Sci-Fi to lead us to
our next dream... We've even got the Cell-Phone as a Star Trek
Communicator...

At least for most people, anyway. I still enjoy the magic of flying...
And even some other things... Although I have become something of a
pragmatist - or maybe even a cyncic. (Could you tell?)

Maybe we just need some George Orwell meets Gene Roddenberry meets George
Lucas style visionaries to come up with the next world-wide fantasy that
might be achievable in the next 50 years.

And then we need a good leader to declare it the mission...

Wizard of Draws wrote in
:

vincent p. norris wrote:

Why should kids be
interested in aviation?

Because it's magic.

Modern planes are even more magic than those of the Wright brothers.
They looked so light and delicate, it was easy to see the relationship
between a child's kite and the larger flying machines. Of course they
could fly.

But now? Hundreds of tons of metal suspended miles above the earth with
nothing to hold it up? Traveling at speeds faster than the earth can
rotate beneath it?
How about a plane that can fly around the world on one tank of gas?

You get the idea.
Magic.

Old December 11th 03, 03:53 PM
Andrew Gideon

Cub Driver wrote:

The author is sadly misinformed. I couldn't care less about "white" or
"male". However, "dead" is a Bad Thing. I certainly expend a serious
amount of effort to avoid this label myself,

You do realize, Andrew, that this means your face will never be on a
postage stamp? Gotta be dead for that to happen.

Hmm. Is the post office wall a fair replacement?

Laugh

- Andrew

Old December 11th 03, 03:55 PM
Andrew Gideon

Earl Grieda wrote:

Actually, its when kids stop reading they stop dreaming about flying.
Toys R Irrelvant.

Reading is certainly important. But my 15-month-old son doesn't read yet.
He does, though, play with numerous aviation-related toys, and does look up
and (sometimes) say "zoom" when airplanes fly overhead.

It's never too early.

- Andrew

Old December 11th 03, 07:34 PM
GregR

Wizard of Draws wrote:

Because it's magic.

Thank you - took the words right out of my mouth. :-)

When I'm talking about flying to non-pilots, I tell them that you can
explain all the science and physics to me that you want to, but it doesn't
matter - when the airplane breaks free of the runway and takes flight, it's
pure magic.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :-)

--

GregR - Another Beemer Biker ...o&o

CA/IFR/BGI - KVNY

[This space for rent - inquire within]

Old December 11th 03, 07:54 PM
Captain Wubba

Mutts wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 00:47:08 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

An adjunct to this theory: Today, while Christmas shopping for my kids,
nephews & nieces, I was amazed and saddened to find not a SINGLE toy
airplane for sale in K-Mart's expanded toy section.

Walmart has lots of stuff, if its not sold out. Huge P-47 and Cobra
helicopter, very accurate. Lots of little aircraft. Kaybee has little
wright flyers as well. The hard stuff to find are Cessna and Piper
toys

I had no trouble finding a *very* realistic model of my Beech
Musketeer. Exact in every detail. It sat on the lowet shelf, because
it couldn't climb any higher, and it took 7 hours to get from the
shelf to the checkout register.

Cap
Old December 11th 03, 08:09 PM
Snowbird

vincent p. norris wrote in message . ..
Jay, I think it's the other way round: When kids stop dreaming about
flying, they stop playing with airplanes.

Kids play with toys that already interest them, not vice versa.

Well, yes and no. Given a choice, kids play with toys that interest
them, in ways which interest them, but a kid who might be interested
in airplanes won't play w/ 'em if they don't have 'em.

Pilots no longer wear helmet, goggles, and a
silk scarf.

They don't? DAMN! Now I gotta rework my Christmas list !

Sydney (OK, I admit I haven't seen any silk scarves, but the
helmet and googles seem fairly common)
Old December 11th 03, 08:13 PM
Snowbird

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:g8PBb.494967$HS4.3807870@attbi_s01...
An adjunct to this theory: Today, while Christmas shopping for my kids,
nephews & nieces, I was amazed and saddened to find not a SINGLE toy
airplane for sale in K-Mart's expanded toy section.

Well, what can I say?

We've done well w/ toy planes other places -- Walmart, Target,
Walgreens and hey -- I found some neat little glueless-assembly
model planes for $1 apiece at Deals. My daughter promptly painted
hers pink and purple but hey -- pink and purple planes still fly!

And here's my annual plug, continuing a tradition started by
Kelly Rhodes.

If you donate to Toys for Tots or a similar organization (and
if you don't, why not?) consider buying some airplane toys to
donate.

Best,
Sydney
Old December 11th 03, 08:27 PM
M. Tettnanger

"Earl Grieda" wrote...
Actually, its when kids stop reading they stop dreaming about flying. Toys
R Irrelvant.

That's certainly part of the problem.

Also consider this "How To Enjoy Flying" guide,
as demonstrated by the average person on an airline
flight:

1. There's nothing interesting to see outside. The
Sierra Nevadas are boring (you even feel this way
driving by car and visiting "approved" tourist
destinations). Close the windowshades!

2. When presented with the option of an aerial view
of New York City at night or a magazine, choose the
magazine. Close the windowshade so you don't get
distracted by the dazzling light.

3. When Corky Romano or Dumb & Dumber is shown on
the viewscreen, always pay attention to the film.

4. During dull parts of the flight, listen to your
portable CD or MP3 player. Not because it helps
pass time, but because you're unaware that it's
a dull part of the flight.

5. When the cockpit door is wide open and you're
boarding or debarking, avoid peering inside. There's
nothing relevant in there, and you wouldn't
understand it anyway. It's ok to look and make
sure there's no beer cans, however.

6. When asked what kind of airplane you flew on, make
sure you can't remember. For bonus points, be sure
that you don't even remember the airline.

Mark